It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 05:59

Noisy Camvac

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

Noisy Camvac

Postby Deejay » 08 Mar 2015, 18:36

Afternoon all

I use a twin motor Camvac. It's very noisy and I want to put it outside.

I'm thinking about building a Sentry Box style shed to house both the Camvac and a Thein separator.
It would be a wooden construction which I would need to insulate acoustically.

Any suggestions how to keep the noise inside the box would be welcome.

Cheers

Dave
Deejay
Sapling

Name: Dave

Re: Noisy Camvac

Postby RogerM » 08 Mar 2015, 18:41

Dave - I think a lot of the noise comes from the exhaust outlet. i know other users have placed their Camvac beneath a window and attached a length of hose to the exhausts and stuck the other ends out the window for a worthwhile reduction in noise in the workshop. Doesn't do a lot for noise outside though!
RogerM
Nordic Pine

Name: Roger

Postby Andyp » 08 Mar 2015, 19:45

Wish I could help Dave but mine is outside my workshop but inside the barn so noise is not an issue.

If you seal the Camvac in a box to keep the noise in are you running the risk of it overheating? If you put holes in the box for ventilation than those holes will also let the noise out. I'd try venting the exhaust pipes outside as Roger suggested first. I know that Rob (Woodbloke) has done this and from what I remember the noise inside his workshop was not too bad.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Deejay » 08 Mar 2015, 21:25

Evening Andy

If you seal the Camvac in a box to keep the noise in are you running the risk of it overheating?

I don't think so, 'cos the air being sucked through the motors will cool them. I believe you are only supposed to run a Camvac motor for twenty minutes before allowing it to cool. Hence the dual motors.

Cheers

Dave
Deejay
Sapling

Postby Andyp » 09 Mar 2015, 09:05

Fair comment Dave.

I had always thought that the dual motors provided more suck when required rather than to be used in turn to keep hem cool.

As for sound insulation 3 or 4 inches of mineral wool should help but I can't help thinking that will also warm things up quite a bit inside the box and may lead to a condensation problem.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby StevieB » 09 Mar 2015, 11:24

+1 for a hose on the exhaust outlet, I do this with mine just into the workshop and it makes a significant difference. You need 2 hoses if you have two motors however, and if you buy Camvac ones make sure you are sitting down before you get the price! I got one thrown in with my Camvac at a show, but haven't had the money to buy a second yet - wish I had asked for both to be thrown in ;)

Steve
StevieB
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 09 Mar 2015, 11:27

RogerM wrote:Dave - I think a lot of the noise comes from the exhaust outlet. i know other users have placed their Camvac beneath a window and attached a length of hose to the exhausts and stuck the other ends out the window for a worthwhile reduction in noise in the workshop. Doesn't do a lot for noise outside though!

A Camvac recommended mod. I hide the hoses from the exhaust outlets behind some other stuff, cuts out a huge amount of racket - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Deejay » 09 Mar 2015, 18:17

The prizes go to Roger, Steve and Rob who said that most of the noise came out with the exhaust air.

I did a few tests today.

I tried fitting a cardboard box over the vac and it made hardly any difference to the noise.

Fitting a bit of flexible hose to the outlets makes a huge difference.

I think I'll just poke a couple of lengths of hose out through the wall.

Thanks to all for the advice.

Cheers

Dave
Deejay
Sapling

Postby DaveL » 09 Mar 2015, 23:22

Poking the hose though the wall will dump any heat outside, along with the noise, not good in the winter.
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Postby Halo Jones » 10 Mar 2015, 08:35

Has anyone ever tried attaching some outlet holes to the muffler section of a car exhaust?! The only problem I can see with this is that performance of the motors might be reduced a bit?
Halo Jones
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Deejay » 10 Mar 2015, 10:31

DaveL wrote:Poking the hose though the wall will dump any heat outside, along with the noise, not good in the winter.

Morning Dave

Fair comment about the heat, but the fine dust which gets through the filters will also be removed.

The noise is reduced, just by putting a length (10' or so) of flexible hose on the outlet stub. The open end of the hose was still inside the garage, so I don't expect much noise outside. I'll try something temporary and see (or hear :) )

Cheers

Dave
Deejay
Sapling

Postby Woodbloke » 10 Mar 2015, 10:49

Deejay wrote:
Fair comment about the heat, but the fine dust which gets through the filters will also be removed.

The noise is reduced, just by putting a length (10' or so) of flexible hose on the outlet stub. The open end of the hose was still inside the garage, so I don't expect much noise outside. I'll try something temporary and see (or hear :) )

Cheers

Dave

The air coming out of the exhaust ports of a Camvac is pretty clean. If memory serves, the machine will filter down to 0.5micron which is one of the reasons I bought one. I don't think it's quite to HEPA standards but it's still pretty good, but unfortunately it's not possible to fit a HEPA module onto these machines
Interestingly, if a filter is partially blocked but still allows air through it, the extraction efficiency is improved - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Chris Hill » 10 Mar 2015, 10:52

Google ' baffle box' for an effective way of reducing noise
Chris Hill
Seedling

Name:

Postby Deejay » 10 Mar 2015, 15:34

Afternoon all

I ran a length of 65mm flexible pipe from the Camvac outlet to outside under the garage door. There was a bit of noise noticeable which was reduced by fitting a bit of 4" pipe on the end. I suppose it reduces the airspeed.

Thanks for the baffle box suggestion Chris, but the noise is about the same as the flue on a working central heating boiler, so I don't think I'll need any silencing.

Rob I thought it was the smaller particles that did the most damage. Everything in my (garage) workshop has a film of fine dust on it. I'd like to stop this happening.

Cheers

Dave
Deejay
Sapling

Postby Woodbloke » 10 Mar 2015, 15:57

Deejay wrote:
Rob I thought it was the smaller particles that did the most damage. Everything in my (garage) workshop has a film of fine dust on it. I'd like to stop this happening.

Cheers

Dave

Using the Camvac will cut it down, but it's almost impossible to eradicate it completely. I have the same layer of fine dust, but a regular cleaning regime keeps it under control. Think also about installing an ambient air cleaner as well, which will clean the air on a regular basis using it's inbuilt timer.
Although I promised not to discuss Axminster stuff, this guide that I wrote a few weeks ago might be of interest in your case as the whole area of dust extraction is one that's very difficult to understand. I hope you find it of some use - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Deejay » 10 Mar 2015, 16:19

Thanks for the links Rob.

I've got one of those Jet filters. I'll have to get into the habit of using it every time I do anything, rather than only when I generate dust.

Cheers

Dave
Deejay
Sapling

Return to Projects & WIP