It is currently 20 Nov 2019, 10:18

Decking

Help with choosing the right coloured milkpaint to slather all over your new project.

Decking

Postby MY63 » 25 Oct 2019, 22:46

Having almost finished my decking project I am interested in protecting it. It is pressure treated softwood any suggestions would be appreciated.

Image2019-10-25_10-43-46 by my0771, on Flickr

Millie and Zoe our springer spaniels have just been checking the quality of the work
MY63
Nordic Pine
 
Posts: 556
Joined: 17 Oct 2018, 20:41
Location: North East England
Name: Michael

Re: Decking

Postby Malc2098 » 26 Oct 2019, 10:26

Looking good.

Me, too. I'd like recommendations, too.

Just finished the verandah roof over mine.
Malcolm
User avatar
Malc2098
Old Oak
 
Posts: 3569
Joined: 03 Jul 2016, 11:10
Location: Tiverton
Name: Malcolm

Re: Decking

Postby Robert » 26 Oct 2019, 13:56

Sorry to be a bit negative but I don't know anyone that has successfully kept softwood decking in good condition for a number of years.

Our close friends have a large decking area in their garden and have done for a quite a few years. They got fed up with replacing rotten planks and failed supports and had the whole thing replaced with composite decking.

They used to clean and treat the softwood at least once a year but couldn't stop it failing. The composite is a couple of years old now and still looks like new and no treating necessary.

The other decking I know of at my bro in laws is also failing but they haven't decided what to do about it yet.
Robert
Old Oak
 
Posts: 1552
Joined: 21 Jul 2014, 19:31
Location: Woodford Green
Name: Robert

Re: Decking

Postby 9fingers » 26 Oct 2019, 20:50

You might get some life out of it if you saturate it with real creosote which despite new rules, can be bought online.
It does pong for a bit but is effective. my workshop is clad with softwood feather edge board and is perfect from 2005/6 ish .

Bob
Image
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_GZrX ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
User avatar
9fingers
Sequoia
 
Posts: 5364
Joined: 21 Jul 2014, 20:22
Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Re: Decking

Postby RogerM » 28 Oct 2019, 11:50

Robert wrote:Sorry to be a bit negative but I don't know anyone that has successfully kept softwood decking in good condition for a number of years.

Our close friends have a large decking area in their garden and have done for a quite a few years. They got fed up with replacing rotten planks and failed supports and had the whole thing replaced with composite decking.


That has been my experience as well, hence the new Replacement Composite Decking thread.

I built this in 2008 .......

DSC01917.jpg
(384.11 KiB)


..... and despite regular treatment, it had turned in to this by earlier this year. :cry:

IMG_20190731_182056 (1).jpg
(493.66 KiB)


It was so bad that we daren't walk on it for fear of going through it. That's why I've opted for composite decking this time. There are a number of different grades out there, but the solid stuff is guaranteed for 25 years. We used Millboard, which is only distinguishable from treated hardwood upon close inspection, and cheap it ain't, but anecdotally it doesn't fade or become slippery. Time will tell.

I hope you have better luck Michael. Our deck was in full sun, and had both wooden and ceramic planters on it which had to be kept watered, so probably ensured the deck was permanently damp underneath. The rot was less severe ( but still present) in areas away from the planters.
RogerM
Sapling
 
Posts: 371
Joined: 21 Jul 2014, 21:47
Location: South Devon
Name:

Re: Decking

Postby Woodster » 28 Oct 2019, 13:29

Ours rotted like that as well but not just the boards, the supporting timber underneath went as well. Some of them were absolutely sodden.
User avatar
Woodster
Nordic Pine
 
Posts: 605
Joined: 26 Jan 2017, 13:17
Location: Dorset
Name:

Re: Decking

Postby will1983 » 28 Oct 2019, 17:27

I think the key to protecting all timber outside lies in ventilation and separation from the ground with a decent DPC.

Good airflow through the structure removes moisture laden air which in turn prevents the rot from setting in.

As far as treatment goes I think you're main concern should be for UV resistance. UV damage causes shakes and degradation of the timber into which the moisture sits and causes it to rot from the inside out.

I used the Barretine wood preserver for all my exterior timber and have been very impressed with its performance.

I came across it by accident as I wanted a black stain for my new fences and this was the only one I could find at the time. 4 years down the line and there's no sign of any degradation or rot.

It wasn't cheap as I had about 40 panels to spray, (two very generous coats on both sides) but I was of the mind that it was an investment in future maintenance which (thankfully) has turned out correct. I sprayed it on with one of those cheap 5l pump sprayers but it can be applied with roller or brush if you preferred.
Check out my Instagram account cheshire_cats_workshop for more stuff I have been working on.
Cheshire Cats Workshop Website
User avatar
will1983
New Shoots
 
Posts: 131
Joined: 04 Nov 2015, 16:18
Location: Crewe, Cheshire
Name:

Re: Decking

Postby RogerS » 28 Oct 2019, 18:25

I went into B&Q today and the bloke behind the counter asked if I wanted decking. I managed to get my punch in first. :D
Fewer Smart things. More smart people.
User avatar
RogerS
Sequoia
 
Posts: 6394
Joined: 21 Jul 2014, 21:07
Location: Nearly finished. OK OK...call me Pinocchio.
Name:

Re: Decking

Postby Coley » 28 Oct 2019, 18:34

will1983 wrote:I used the Barretine wood preserver for all my exterior timber and have been very impressed with its performance.

I came across it by accident as I wanted a black stain for my new fences and this was the only one I could find at the time. 4 years down the line and there's no sign of any degradation or rot.



I wonder how well it would last on horizontal timbers ? I did an oak fence at my dads place around 8 years ago. The capping pieces had a 15 degree bevel and the osmo didn't last 2 years on that. The vertical boards still have most of osmo after 8+ years.



Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
User avatar
Coley
Sapling
 
Posts: 313
Joined: 26 Jul 2014, 20:03
Name:

Re: Decking

Postby Jonathan » 29 Oct 2019, 05:05

Any timber that is unseen and near the ground I find old engine oil bullet proof !
An old friend of mine done his fence with it, said as well as keeping the rot out it kept the nabours away

As for decking this stuff is good http://thermoarena.com/thermowood-lumber/
I used a similar product 15 odd years ago, it was guaranteed for 25 years.
Don't know if you get the same guarantees in northern Europe.... but then is uk part of Europe



Sent from my SM-J530F using Tapatalk
Jonathan
New Shoots
 
Posts: 59
Joined: 26 Jul 2017, 06:44
Name:

Re: Decking

Postby will1983 » 30 Oct 2019, 12:00

Coley wrote:
will1983 wrote:I used the Barretine wood preserver for all my exterior timber and have been very impressed with its performance.

I came across it by accident as I wanted a black stain for my new fences and this was the only one I could find at the time. 4 years down the line and there's no sign of any degradation or rot.



I wonder how well it would last on horizontal timbers ? I did an oak fence at my dads place around 8 years ago. The capping pieces had a 15 degree bevel and the osmo didn't last 2 years on that. The vertical boards still have most of osmo after 8+ years.



Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk



The panels are vertical featheredge so have three horizontal timbers on the reverse side. These are just sawn square with no bevel to the top sides. I've not seen any evidence of rot or decay on these yet.

I expect these to be the first to go so when I did the spraying I did these first, making sure to spray down the small gaps between the featheredge and the rails. As I was working on 6 panels at once it gave it a few minutes to soak in before coming back to do rest of the panels. The over spray from doing the main field of the panels meant that I actually went over them again. As the whole panels got two coats these rails actually received 4 each.
Check out my Instagram account cheshire_cats_workshop for more stuff I have been working on.
Cheshire Cats Workshop Website
User avatar
will1983
New Shoots
 
Posts: 131
Joined: 04 Nov 2015, 16:18
Location: Crewe, Cheshire
Name:


Return to Finishing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests