It is currently 21 Nov 2017, 14:41

Danish Oil, does it yellow?

Help with choosing the right coloured milkpaint to slather all over your new project.

Danish Oil, does it yellow?

Postby Andyp » 07 Apr 2015, 15:42

Not wishing to drag Chataigner's thread off topic I'd thought I post some images of a laminated oak worktop with danish oil applied. An untreated off cut of the original is on top of the finished piece which, from memory had about 5 or 6 coats of Liberon Danish Oil which at the time of use must have been at least 5 years old in an opened tin.

The oil was applied direct onto the bare wood, no sealer, no tint, no stain and had a light rub with a fine paper to finish.

With flash

without flash

The top image taken with flash, on my screen, looks the closest to the actual colour. I see no p1ss yellow.

Interested to hear of any other experiences, examples of discolouration etc.
cheers

Andy

if images are not visible on my posts it is because Photobucket withdrew their free hosting service. I will reload images to the most recent threads in due course. Please drop me a PM if you would like to see anything before then
Andyp
Old Oak

Name: Andy

Re: Danish Oil, does it yellow?

Postby TrimTheKing » 07 Apr 2015, 15:59

As I say Andy, it could just be my viewpoint, but that top picture is the colour I'm referring to! :?

Could have been a combination of the oak I was using at the time, and the danish I used, but i just didn't like the change from a warmish reddy colour to a more yellow colour. I was a colour matcher by trade in my youth and am particularly sensitive to colour differentials in shades so might just be me being hyper critical of what I did.

Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Andyp » 07 Apr 2015, 17:02

I'm off to Spec Savers later to check for colour blindness. I never new p1ss yellow was that colour. :D
cheers

Andy

if images are not visible on my posts it is because Photobucket withdrew their free hosting service. I will reload images to the most recent threads in due course. Please drop me a PM if you would like to see anything before then
Andyp
Old Oak

Postby Woodbloke » 07 Apr 2015, 17:17

Andy's pic looks fine to me, can't see much wrong with it. This is an image of a bit of ash finished in DO:

...dragged of t'interweb. Much more unpleasant - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Nordic Pine

Name: Rob Stoakley

Postby TrimTheKing » 07 Apr 2015, 18:46

Andyp wrote:I'm off to Spec Savers later to check for colour blindness. I never new p1ss yellow was that colour. :D

:)

Ash is definitely a lot worse for this, but what I mean about the yellowing I probably over egged (or over p!ssed :eusa-whistle: ) from your photo, but you can see what I mean from the difference in view of the two photo's. The bottom one is more the warm red whereas the top is a yellower shade of red.

I noticed it most on the pirate's check I made, I just didn't like the tone it gave to the wood vs a clear oil.

Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby RogerS » 07 Apr 2015, 18:49

I'm with Mark on this one. I hate Danish Oil for that very reason. In fact I hate most oils as a finish.
Fewer Smart things. More smart people.
RogerS
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Andyp » 07 Apr 2015, 20:02

This piece is less than a year old but no sign of yellow (as I recognise it) yet. Same as above, danish oil on bare wood.

Chestnut with oak drawers

Photo taken last July but the colour seems the same today
cheers

Andy

Andyp
Old Oak

Postby TrimTheKing » 07 Apr 2015, 22:37

Fair enough, what kind have you used? Looks to be better than mine…

Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby Andyp » 08 Apr 2015, 09:17

Mark, I would be extremely worried if, based on my experiences and your superior eye, you used a finish that I recommended on your next project only for you to be dissatisfied.

I'd have staked my life on the danish oil that I have been using was Liberon however I do remember having to destroy the child proof cap last time I used it and the bottle I decanted it into is clearly marked COLRON.

As always test on a piece of scrap first!
cheers

Andy

Andyp
Old Oak

Postby TrimTheKing » 08 Apr 2015, 21:00

Haha, have no fear, rigorous testing is done on any recommendation so I won't be diving in, but I am always willing to be proved wrong if it can benefit me going forwards.

Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby RogerS » 27 Aug 2015, 16:03

One thought on this as I scrolled on by...

Maybe Danish oil is like other solvents. glues, oils- namely that it deteriorates with age. I always put the date of purchase on stuff I buy. Obviously, it depends on how long it's been sitting on the suppliers shelf but at least it is a starting point.
Fewer Smart things. More smart people.
RogerS
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Mike G » 28 Aug 2015, 08:53

I think it probably shows up worse on paler timber, but I made a series of pieces in ash 15 or 20 years ago, and I see a couple of them now and then. I can hardly look at them, they are so embarrassing...........the colour is awful. Not yellow, but orange.

I think of Danish oil as a thinned varnish, as it leaves a high build-up on the surface. If you are going to use an oil, give Finishing Oil a try.
Mike G
Old Oak

Name:

Return to Finishing