It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 21:12

O.B.’s Shine Juice

Help with choosing the right coloured milkpaint to slather all over your new project.

O.B.’s Shine Juice

Postby Phil » 26 May 2017, 11:54

This was on an "E-News" Mail from USA

O.B.’s Shine Juice

By Capt. Eddie Castelin

Several years ago I attended a demonstration where the turner was making a little bottle stopper project called the “hidden pill” stopper.

He turned a piece of cocobolo and then sanded it using wax as a lubricant. I hadn’t seen this method before and I had created some nice work with cocobolo and just didn’t get the right finish.

I thought it was the secret to a great finish until he pulled out this little squeeze bottle of finish and proceeded to put a glass finish on it.

The turner was O.B. Lacoste of Lafayette and he soon became one of my mentors. The product he used was a mixture of shellac, boiled linseed oil and alcohol. We came to call this concoction
“O.B.’s Shine Juice”.

Ingredients:
3 ounces of plain, uncolored shellac. (Zinsser’s Bulls Eye Shellac, Clear)

3 ounces of Boiled Linseed Oil. (Do not boil plain linseed oil)

3 ounces of Denatured Alcohol (do not use any other alcohol product)

I use a pint sized mason jar for mixing and long term storage of the materials. Pour exact amounts into the Mason jar and mix thoroughly. Do not over agitate.

Pour a day’s use into a small squeeze bottle (Harbor Freight # 94392-OVGA) for use.

Note: The alcohol will evaporate from open containers and the squeeze bottle. Return what
you don’t use to the mason jar for a pure finish.

To use:

With the lathe stopped, using a paper towel, rub in a good coat, covering all the surfaces of the piece. Rub it in well and wait a minute, repeat the process.

Now, with the lathe running at 500-1000 RPM, add some finish to the paper towel and apply it slowly to the surface.

Keep the towel moving and the finish spreading. As the shellac adheres, the oil will begin to
catalyze and the alcohol will evaporate. All three steps are necessary for a good finish.

The coating will begin to build as you apply. At some point you will treat the finish as complete and stop adding material and polish the surface. If it begins to attract the towel or get gummy, stop lapping and allow it to set for a minute.
Start again when it sets up. A coat of wax makes a finished product with great results.

As O.B.Lacoste put it one time, “If it was any easier, I’d have to come over to your house and do it for you.”
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Re: O.B.’s Shine Juice

Postby TrimTheKing » 26 May 2017, 16:16

:eusa-clap: :text-goodpost:
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Re: O.B.’s Shine Juice

Postby Rod » 26 May 2017, 16:22

Reading it quickly I thought it was about OJ Simpson "The Juice"!
DOH

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Return to Finishing