It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:18

Experiments with Olive Ash...Results are in!

Help with choosing the right coloured milkpaint to slather all over your new project.

Experiments with Olive Ash...Results are in!

Postby Woodbloke » 31 Mar 2019, 12:19

Following on from Rog M's excellent thread on the Sunburst Table and in particular the section on finishing with Raw Osmo right at the end, herewith my attempt at looking at alternative finishes on an offcut of Olive Ash. In this first pic...

IMG_2663.jpg
(190.88 KiB)

...there's been nothing done to it apart from being planed and sanded to 240g. As I select the various finishes (which will include Osmo Raw) I'll take the pics and look forward to your comments as the thread progresses - Rob
Last edited by Woodbloke on 04 Apr 2019, 16:01, edited 1 time in total.
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Re: Experiments with Olive Ash

Postby RogerS » 31 Mar 2019, 16:18

Just as long as no Danes, Swedes or Norwegians are involved ;) :D
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby RogerM » 31 Mar 2019, 16:59

Looking forward to this one! If the budget permits I would love to see what effect Osmo Top Oil has on that, as that was the clearest and least colouring of the finishes I tested, apart from the Osmo Raw. However, I think that the figure in that olive ash is sufficiently dark for the Raw to kill it, but it will be interesting to see.
:obscene-drinkingcheers:
RogerM
Nordic Pine

Name: Roger

Postby Woodbloke » 31 Mar 2019, 17:21

RogerM wrote:Looking forward to this one! If the budget permits I would love to see what effect Osmo Top Oil has on that, as that was the clearest and least colouring of the finishes I tested, apart from the Osmo Raw. However, I think that the figure in that olive ash is sufficiently dark for the Raw to kill it, but it will be interesting to see.

We shall see Rog. I haven't got any Osmo Top Oil, so it's going to be Raw, Matt, Satin plus Polyvine mat and satin - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby RogerM » 01 Apr 2019, 15:03

Woodbloke wrote:
RogerM wrote:Looking forward to this one! If the budget permits I would love to see what effect Osmo Top Oil has on that, as that was the clearest and least colouring of the finishes I tested, apart from the Osmo Raw. However, I think that the figure in that olive ash is sufficiently dark for the Raw to kill it, but it will be interesting to see.

We shall see Rog. I haven't got any Osmo Top Oil, so it's going to be Raw, Matt, Satin plus Polyvine mat and satin - Rob

Rob - Wood Finishes Direct do 5ml samples of most Osmo and Fiddes products at around £1 a pop. 5ml is only a small sachet, but as you know Osmo goes an amazingly long way. Certainly enough for a test piece.
RogerM
Nordic Pine

Postby Woodbloke » 02 Apr 2019, 09:42

RogerM wrote:
Rob - Wood Finishes Direct do 5ml samples of most Osmo and Fiddes products at around £1 a pop. 5ml is only a small sachet, but as you know Osmo goes an amazingly long way. Certainly enough for a test piece.

Thanks Rog, got a couple of sachets from the old firm at about the same price...applying finishes today - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 02 Apr 2019, 10:09

Woodbloke wrote:
RogerM wrote:

Thanks Rog, got a couple of sachets from the old firm at about the same price...applying finishes today - Rob

it would be interesting to know how these compare with a "sam Maloof like mixture" of thinned satin PU.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Woodbloke » 02 Apr 2019, 11:51

9fingers wrote:
it would be interesting to know how these compare with a "sam Maloof like mixture" of thinned satin PU.

Bob

Dunno Bob, I don't do Maloofian finishes, so it won't be in this test :D - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 02 Apr 2019, 12:35

Ah I thought you showed me a little pot of diluted something and maybe I assumed it was pu
Might have been diluted osmo instead.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Woodbloke » 03 Apr 2019, 00:06

9fingers wrote:Ah I thought you showed me a little pot of diluted something and maybe I assumed it was pu
Might have been diluted osmo instead.

Bob

Indeed, the little pot of diluted somat was Osmo, which I generally thin by about 40% with white spirit. Used neat straight from the can I find it far to 'gloopy' and it seems to go on much better (and further) when it's thinned.

First coats have gone onto the test piece today and the Osmo is curing indoors overnight. Initial impressions of the Osmo Raw on Olive Ash is that it's bloody awful! Pics to come later - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 04 Apr 2019, 16:01

Results are in. Six different finishes were applied to that chunk of Olive Ash. Each was applied thinly with a rag and denibbled between each coat with a worn bit of 600g Abranet.

IMG_2672.jpg
(150.53 KiB)

Three coats of Osmo Raw

IMG_2673.jpg
(184.12 KiB)

Two coats of Osmo Raw followed by one coat of Osmo Hardwax Matt

IMG_2674.jpg
(193.18 KiB)

Three coats of Osmo Hardwax Satin

IMG_2675.jpg
(173.52 KiB)

Three coats of Osmo Hardwax Matt

IMG_2676.jpg
(189.08 KiB)

Four coats of Polyvine Acrylic Matt

IMG_2677.jpg
(222.68 KiB)

Polyvine Acrylic Wax; two coats of Satin followed by two coats of Matt

Pics 1 & 2 show the effect of Osmo Raw on this timber and whichever way you slices it, it's bloody horrible.
Pics 3 & 4 show Osmo Hardwax Satin and Matt.
Pice 5 & 6 are the most interesting as they indicate that this Polyvine Acrylic stuff is pretty good. There's hardly any difference between Matt Polyvine (5) and Osmo HW Matt (4) with maybe perhaps No.4 being just a shade less matt than No.5.
The great advantage of the acrylic stuff is that you can get four coats on (with denibblizing between each coat) inside an hour (assuming a warmish 'shop). I usually put a decent quality beeswax over the top of my finish just to enhance it slightly but I haven't done so on these test pieces.
With the acrylic finishes, there was also no need to raise the grain prior to application and neither did the grain rise after it was applied. It's also as smooth as a baby's bum once it's dry.
What say ye? - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Re: Experiments with Olive Ash...Results are in!

Postby Andyp » 04 Apr 2019, 16:54

I would like to see an image of the whole finished board so I can see all the finishes side by side. If you can put that on a post with an image of the unfinished board so much the better.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Woodbloke » 04 Apr 2019, 17:00

Andyp wrote:I would like to see an image of the whole finished board so I can see all the finishes side by side. If you can put that on a post with an image of the unfinished board so much the better.

I can do that but I thought a 'down n'dirty' close up view of each would be more helpful, but here's the whole board;

IMG_2678.jpg
(264.71 KiB)

...with all the various samples - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby RogerM » 04 Apr 2019, 17:35

The dullness of the Osmo Raw comes as no surprise. Best used on near white timber like Beech, Maple or Sycamore when it works well. On screen the difference between the PolyVine and Osmo Satin and Matt is difficult to detect, but I would have thought that with a coat of wax over it, the Osmo would be the most tactile. Down to personal preference I would say, depending on the use that it is going to get. Might be interesting to see what each looks like in artificial light as well?
RogerM
Nordic Pine

Postby Woodbloke » 04 Apr 2019, 17:43

RogerM wrote: On screen the difference between the PolyVine and Osmo Satin and Matt is difficult to detect, but I would have thought that with a coat of wax over it, the Osmo would be the most tactile.

As photographed Rog, they're pretty much identical and you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference, but as I said above, they've not had a coat of wax and a good polish with a soft cloth
Edit: if you look at the board sideways on from the edge as opposed to directly overhead it's much easier to detect the different levels of 'sheen' on each surface - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Return to Finishing