It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 13:55

I think I might have been converted!

Help with choosing the right coloured milkpaint to slather all over your new project.

I think I might have been converted!

Postby 9fingers » 22 Dec 2019, 18:23

Before you are too shocked by the title, No I have not gained any interest in hand tools!

But this is the finishing section.
When water based finishes forst came out i gave them a try and rejected then out of hand. Almost impossible to lay off paints and stains to a smooth finish before being too dry and starting to drag. Varnishes not drying perfectly clear and leaving a slightly milky look and despite being touch dry they would not fine sand without waiting at least a day.

However just recently it was important to decorate one of my rental properties throughout including a broad strip of flooring where I had taken down a wall in a short a time as possible so talking to a decorator mate, I gave water based products a second chance.

I think there has been a generational change now. Leyland trade gloss went on a treat with good opacity and two coats easily done in a day. Screwfix No Nonsense floor varnish is even better with three coats and intermediate sanding easily in a day.

Some of the left over floor varnish has been put to use varnishing hardwood ply shelves today. Workshop temperature has been about 10C but between 11am and 17.00 I've put on three coats, sanding between.

If I'd been using my customary spirit based PU varnish at these temperatures I doubt that I be able to manage 2 coats in a day.

So if like me you had rejected early water based offerings, then maybe give them a try again - you may well be impressed.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Re: I think I might have been converted!

Postby Woodbloke » 22 Dec 2019, 18:40

I used to be a 'died in the wool' fan of traditional oil based paint but a couple of years ago I switched to acrylic water based stuff and it's fantastic. Acrylic wax finishes from Polyvine are also pretty good - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 22 Dec 2019, 18:59

Woodbloke wrote: Acrylic wax finishes from Polyvine are also pretty good - Rob

Acrylic (water based) and wax dont seem to be likely bedfellows. Some chemical trickery going on there!

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Woodbloke » 22 Dec 2019, 19:10

9fingers wrote:
Woodbloke wrote: Acrylic wax finishes from Polyvine are also pretty good - Rob

Acrylic (water based) and wax dont seem to be likely bedfellows. Some chemical trickery going on there!

Bob

The blanket chest finished this summer was finished with the very same...it's good stuff - Rob

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=4076

PS - it's the one with the 'ears' :lol:
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby RogerS » 15 Jan 2020, 18:28

Woodbloke wrote:I used to be a 'died in the wool' fan of traditional oil based paint but a couple of years ago I switched to acrylic water based stuff and it's fantastic. Acrylic wax finishes from Polyvine are also pretty good - Rob

Interesting, Rob. I tried Polyvine a while back and really couldn't get on with it. It never seemed to flow properly IIRC.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby HappyHacker » 15 Jan 2020, 19:21

I have tried a variety of the water based glosses and have followed all the recommendations about brushes etc and tried a number of techniques and I cannot get close to the same level of finish I achieved with oil based gloss. While I think the water based ones are great especially the speed of drying I am not a complete convert. They are getting better though. At least they don't turn yellow after a few weeks if not exposed to sunlight. I have a couple of rooms with yellow oil based gloss paint with a wonderful finish but they were white when I painted them! They did not carry the warning on the can when I painted them. Another job on the very long list.
HappyHacker
Sapling

Name: Kevin

Postby RogerS » 15 Jan 2020, 22:56

I initially had that problem but fixed it by having a suitable piece of cloth/flanellette impregnated with the Blanchon and after each coat gave a gentle wipe which gave a smooth surface.

EDIT: My bad.

I remember now. I asked WoodFinishesDirect about the 'ridges' and they recommended a micro-fibre cloth (they have Woodley). They were bang on the money. Sorted. After use, I keep it in a plastic bag and so it never dries out and is ready for the next floor ...or in this case a veneered riser.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Return to Finishing