It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 23:26

Table tops

Help with choosing the right coloured milkpaint to slather all over your new project.

Table tops

Postby MY63 » 06 Jul 2020, 21:48

My neighbour has a small restaruant and like many is struggling to reopen after the lockdown.
The guy who was going to refinish the table tops has let him down so I volunteered ( I really need to stop doing this) to help him out.

Image2020-07-06_09-28-19 by my0771, on Flickr

I have applied some dark mahogany wood stain to half as you can see above. The tops are solid wood but appear to have a veneer applied to the top surface. I wonder if it could be paper.

I need a reccomendation for a final finish to seal the top a satin or mat finish is preferred.

Image2020-07-06_09-28-50 by my0771, on Flickr
MY63
Old Oak

Name: Michael

Re: Table tops

Postby 9fingers » 06 Jul 2020, 22:01

Satin polyurethane is hard wearing

Waterbased floor varnish such as screwfix no nonsense is one of my favourites currently

Dries quickly but not so fast that you can’t brush it out.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby RogerM » 06 Jul 2020, 22:37

You don't say how many you have to do. I guess in a perfect world you'd have plenty of time, in which case a bar polish or a resin finish like Rustins Plastic Coating could be favourite. My guess is you don't have the time and I'm also guessing there are budgetary constraints as well. Bob's suggestion of a water based satin varnish is quick, easy and cheap.
RogerM
Nordic Pine

Name: Roger

Postby Rod » 06 Jul 2020, 23:18

Yes as Bob said

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby MattS » 07 Jul 2020, 08:33

I've used that varnish Bob recommends quite a bit - on floors and furniture and it's easy to use and hard wearing, this is the one;

https://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense- ... lsrc=aw.ds
MattS
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby MY63 » 07 Jul 2020, 10:09

Thanks Bob I will get some today.
RogerM I have two more round ones to do, he also has a few smaller square ones which I will finish over the next few months.
MY63
Old Oak

Postby RogerM » 07 Jul 2020, 10:14

MY63 wrote:Thanks Bob I will get some today.
RogerM I have two more round ones to do, he also has a few smaller square ones which I will finish over the next few months.

OK, so not too many. Mind you, my comments still stand. Unless this is an establishment for "Fine Dining", then a finish that is bomb proof and which can just be wiped down, and where it won't matter if glasses and coffee cups are put down in a spillage is most important. If this was a fine hardwood dining table for use in your home my answer might be different!
RogerM
Nordic Pine

Name: Roger

Postby Woodbloke » 07 Jul 2020, 13:22

RogerM wrote: Bob's suggestion of a water based satin varnish is quick, easy and cheap.

:text-+1:
It's pretty hard wearing as well. I used it a few years ago on an old 'puter table and it took a lot of knocks. If I recollect, I bought mine from the now defunct Homebase in town. I use Polyvine now which is also good stuff - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby MY63 » 21 Jul 2020, 22:24

OK now I have the varnish and am about to start applying it to the second top, I would appreciate any tips on application. Screwfix reccomaned a brush, but I was hoping to use a roller for speed or maybe a pad of some type.
Ideas appreciated.
MY63
Old Oak

Postby Rod » 21 Jul 2020, 23:06

Use a brush, roller or rag.
Leave for about 20 mins then wipe off any excess.
Leave to dry overnight, gentle rub down with a fine grade of paper.
Keep repeating until you’ve built up a few layers.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 22 Jul 2020, 06:14

Rod wrote:Use a brush, roller or rag.
Leave for about 20 mins then wipe off any excess.
Leave to dry overnight, gentle rub down with a fine grade of paper.
Keep repeating until you’ve built up a few layers.

Rod

Wot Rod said. I'd use a worn bit of 320g paper to de-nib the finish, then use the 'shop vacuum to suck up any debris - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby MY63 » 26 Jul 2020, 18:47

OK I have definately done something wrong with the varnish, I used a roller with a gloss sleeve to start with ans was left with a textured finish which although interesting was not what I was looking for.
Next I tried a sleeve with a longer pile but that was just as bad, only when the roller jammed and stopped turning did I get a nice finish.
I am going to get some paint pads next.
MY63
Old Oak

Postby Rod » 26 Jul 2020, 22:01

I always use a brush or a cloth pad.
Don’t apply thickly and wipe off after a few minutes

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby MY63 » 26 Jul 2020, 22:25

Thanks Rod that would explain why it looks so bad. I did sand and then applied extra coats with a brush I am going to get some more sanding disks tomorrow and sand back to where I started.
I think I may try the cloth method first.
MY63
Old Oak

Postby Woodbloke » 27 Jul 2020, 06:05

Rod wrote:I always use a brush or a cloth pad.
Don’t apply thickly and wipe off after a few minutes

Rod
:text-+1: Wot Rod said.

I usually use a decent quality varnish brush to apply, then once the coat is on, I dry off the brush on a piece of cotton rag and go over the surface again to remove the excess, drying the brush as I go on the cloth. I find this still leaves a good covering, but most or all of the varnish or polish which is going to cause a problem is removed - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby MY63 » 28 Jul 2020, 21:32

Clearly my mistake was to apply to much varnish to quickly which I plan to rectify with my sander asap.
The top is about 1.5m diameter when I apply the varnish it seems to dry before I can get the whole thing coated.
MY63
Old Oak

Postby Rod » 28 Jul 2020, 23:13

Try diluting the varnish

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 29 Jul 2020, 05:58

Rod wrote:Try diluting the varnish

Rod

Agree again. I use Osmo-PolyX almost exclusively these days and it's a bit 'gloopy' straight out the tin. I usually decant some into a glass jar and then thin it down with around 10% white spirit which then makes it much easier to apply - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 29 Jul 2020, 10:08

Woodbloke wrote:
Rod wrote:Try diluting the varnish

Rod

Agree again. I use Osmo-PolyX almost exclusively these days and it's a bit 'gloopy' straight out the tin. I usually decant some into a glass jar and then thin it down with around 10% white spirit which then makes it much easier to apply - Rob

I think Michael is using water based floor varnish and that could perhaps be diluted with a little water. However I find it is quite quick to dry and should be applied and laid off progressively across the surface rather than applied all over before finessing. Thin coats are the order of the day and as it dries so quickly 2-3 per long day is feasible.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Woodbloke » 29 Jul 2020, 14:43

9fingers wrote:I think Michael is using water based floor varnish and that could perhaps be diluted with a little water. However I find it is quite quick to dry and should be applied and laid off progressively across the surface rather than applied all over before finessing. Thin coats are the order of the day and as it dries so quickly 2-3 per long day is feasible.

Bob

Bob, when I made that Alan Peters chest a couple of years ago, I used some acrylic Polyvine varnish and I reckoned on one brush coat applied coat every 20 minutes so that I could get a complete section ready for gluing in an hour - Rob
Last edited by Woodbloke on 29 Jul 2020, 17:01, edited 1 time in total.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 29 Jul 2020, 16:13

I tend to be nervous of attempting to rub down/denib too quickly.
As it happened, I making a small plinth in Iroko and got the first coat of "No-Nonsense trade clear floor varnish" on before brekkie plus a leisurely coffee and it was ok to sand. two more coats during the morning and the item is on the wall in service this afternoon.
So I agree my time estimate was a little generous.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby MY63 » 29 Jul 2020, 22:03

As I started sanding the top of the table to remove the varnish I found there was some sort of reaction between what was there and the varnish I had applied. So I decided to remove it all.

My sander had other ideas and started firing sanding disks across the garden Zoe the spaniel thought it was a game. The last time this happened I had to buy a replacement pad (not cheap) It is a black and decker random orbit sander. Has anyone got a fix.

Image2020-07-29_09-46-37 by my0771, on Flickr

The top is stained wood do I need to remove all of the existing colour before I add more stain.
MY63
Old Oak

Postby 9fingers » 29 Jul 2020, 22:07

Yes you will need a new base but also buy an interface pad to fit and next time you will only need a new interface pad and these are cheaper than bases.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby MY63 » 29 Jul 2020, 22:24

Thanks Bob
I have only used it for about an hour, is it normal for the velcro to give out this quickly ? are the newer machines any better?
MY63
Old Oak

Postby Woodbloke » 29 Jul 2020, 22:42

MY63 wrote: The last time this happened I had to buy a replacement pad (not cheap) It is a black and decker random orbit sander. Has anyone got a fix.

Here's a dead cheap fix. When the pad wears out, head for you local haberdashery store and buy a metre or two of 50mm wide Velcro strip which ought to set you back about £2. Then proceed at a leisurely pace round to your local shed and buy a tube of impact adhesive. Cut the Velcro to fit, stick the strips to the pad and trim to shape with a Stanley knife. If there are any holes that need to be made in the Velcro, I use a 10mm leather punch to make them. It's cheap and it works; I'm on the second pad for my little Festool sander - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Next

Return to Finishing