It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 23:19

shellac and luthiers

Help with choosing the right coloured milkpaint to slather all over your new project.

Re: shellac and luthiers

Postby sunnybob » 15 Oct 2020, 19:35

Thanks. I still have to get an even gloss, and then the interior will be red flocking, as well as the underside of the lid.
just realised there is no idea of scale on that pic. Its about 8" long x 5" wide x 3" deep.
my wood projects are here https://pbase.com/sunnybob
sunnybob
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Mike G » 15 Oct 2020, 19:45

I wish I could help with this question, but I've always felt shellac was for proper woodworkers, not for the likes of me. That's a bl**dy lovely turtle, Bob.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby sunnybob » 15 Oct 2020, 20:05

Thank you Mike.
I felt the same but was convinced to try it by Memzey, who might be here but has not answered even his home emails for a couple of months now, so I hope he is O.K.

Forget all the arcane "pound cut" mysterious stuff. Chuck some flakes in a jam jar. pour some meths over it. Put the lid back on and swirl occasionally until dissolved, and apply.
Of course, you might need to purchase industrial quantities and weigh a bit more carefully to get an even shine on your oak dresser. 8-)
sunnybob
Old Oak

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 15 Oct 2020, 21:09

Very nice Bob. I think you do yourself a disservice saying your skills are poor, that's a lovely looking piece and well above what most people would attempt.

:eusa-clap:
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby MY63 » 15 Oct 2020, 21:36

I must agree with Mark definitely quality work, looks very tactile.
MY63
Old Oak

Name: Michael

Postby Rod » 15 Oct 2020, 23:20

Nice turtle - why not go down the diluted PU varnish - cheap as chips.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby sunnybob » 16 Oct 2020, 04:56

Mark, thank you, but my skills in the traditional woodworking sense are non-existent. I've never tried a dovetail, or a M&T by hand and cant make interior quality furniture of any description. I think of my box making more as a "flair" or a "talent" for seeing shapes and making them. I use machines for everything except final sanding of awkward places.

Rod, I've used wipe on poly from the beginning, only recently using shellac as a sealer first to stop the poly from soaking in unevenly on the heavily grained and figured wood that I use. Without the sealer, it can sometimes take a half dozen tries with poly to get a good finish, with complete sanding off every time.

This my favourite example of an otherwise useless piece of knotty padauk with a good wipe on poly finish.
IMG_1529.JPG
(270.31 KiB)

The box underneath is not perfect I know.
sunnybob
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 16 Oct 2020, 09:45

Nice.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby sunnybob » 17 Oct 2020, 04:27

I think this turtle doesnt want to leave me. After spending about three times as long as usual on the shellac, it was sitting on the side when I accidentally dropped a piece of scrap wood while lifting it down from a shelf. Where does the scrap wood hit? smack on the top edge of the right side flipper thats caused me all the problems. :evil: :evil:
Now I have to sand the dent out, and of course sand the other shoulder to match, and shellac all over again to match it back in. :eusa-doh: :eusa-doh: :eusa-doh:
sunnybob
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Mike G » 17 Oct 2020, 07:09

Time to get out your sharpest paring chisel, Bob. :lol:

Seriously, though........what do you do with all this stuff you make? Is that turtle made to order, or going to a shop, or going for sale online, or what?
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby sunnybob » 17 Oct 2020, 11:12

I did actually use a chisel recently.
But i'm not revealing what for in public. :eusa-whistle: :eusa-whistle:

Sandpaper is my weapon of choice, I use it by the carrier bag full. Speaking of which, do NOT buy abranet sanding belts. They just keep stretching and stop moving. :evil: :evil:

I have sold quite a few of my boxes, I dont keep track as such, but possibly as many as half of them. I dont advertise, Its when we have guests and some are on the sideboard they notice, but I have shown some to people when I am at clubs and suchlike.
I think as many as 20 of them are back in England. The children and grandchildren snaffle a lot. When my grandaughter utters the words "I like that", I now follow immediately with "you cant have it", as she has more than enough, including a turtle box.
This one is a pre order surprise xmas present. They have already bought a treasure chest so repeat customers mean I'm doing something right.

I once took a lot of my stuff top a craft show. I am not boasting by saying that my wares were the most complicated and impressive stall there. I sat for over 2 hours, answered 2 questions (neither of which was "can I have that please" and took everything back home again.
Thats something I will never do again.
This was my stall

WP_20181014_11_17_23_Pro.jpg
(427.08 KiB)

I sat next to the busiest stall at the craft show.... hand knitted scarves and things with all proceeds going to a dog charity.
sunnybob
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Mike G » 17 Oct 2020, 13:12

sunnybob wrote:I did actually use a chisel recently.
But i'm not revealing what for in public. :eusa-whistle: :eusa-whistle:....

Don't worry, Stavros has already told me.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby sunnybob » 17 Oct 2020, 15:43

This is really bizarre, but in the spirit of tell the truth and shame the devil, I have today, actually used a chisel for its intended purposes. :shock:
I know, who'd a thought it? :eusa-dance:

I made a plant pot stand with 2 pieces of wood 70 x 20 going parallel, in two directions (4 pieces, are you keeping up?) I half lapped them and knocked the waste out with a chisel.
By far the most complicated woodworking I have ever done.
What a clever boy I am. :eusa-clap: :eusa-clap: :eusa-clap:
sunnybob
Old Oak

Name:

Postby droogs » 17 Oct 2020, 15:54

careful bob it is a slippery slope you're on. or you will soon be doing this

droogs
Old Oak

Name: Alan

Postby Andyp » 17 Oct 2020, 16:29

Droogs, if you insert an image url between the Img tags then the image will appear in the post rather than the link. I took the liberty of editing your post above.

The Img tags can be found half way along those buttons above the text box where you write your posts.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby sunnybob » 17 Oct 2020, 17:12

Yes, I can mend that broken table. I have a selection of nails and screws, some of them are even new. 8-)
The kid that scribbled on it needs its ears clipped mind.
sunnybob
Old Oak

Name:

Postby droogs » 17 Oct 2020, 18:54

:text-thankyouyellow: Andyp
droogs
Old Oak

Name: Alan

Previous

Return to Finishing