It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 13:12

Peacock Oil

Help with choosing the right coloured milkpaint to slather all over your new project.

Peacock Oil

Postby Woodbloke » 22 Oct 2020, 18:00

The Indian Rosewood jewellery box currently under way in the 'shop has been finished (as per instructions) with four coats of Regal Red oil, but it's taken an age to dry. The oil was applied over three weeks ago and it's still not quite 'cured' :cry:

There's very little, roughly zero info on t'interweb on how long this stuff takes to go off, so I chanced my arm :eusa-whistle: this afternoon and had a natter with the top hombre, Shane Skelton who makes the stuff.
It appears that rosewood, being naturally very oily, tends to inhibit PO from fully curing, or at least it takes a lot longer than normal.

However, Shane mentioned that by far the best way to cure PO quickly by is natural daylight and UV, so the rosewood jewellery box is now residing in the greenhouse for the next couple of weeks.

PO is fandabby stuff, so this is really just a 'heads up' for others if they're experiencing problems in getting it to fully cure with oily woods; PO oil applied to timber 'ordinaires' will go off very quickly when exposed to UV - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Re: Peacock Oil

Postby sunnybob » 22 Oct 2020, 18:41

a hundred and forty quid a litre :shock: :o :shock:

i just might pass on that.
shellac at a quid or two, or wipe on poly and white spirit for a tenner, thats more my level.
my wood projects are here https://pbase.com/sunnybob
sunnybob
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Blackswanwood » 22 Oct 2020, 19:12

That’s a good tip and plus one that Peacock Oil is really good stuff.
Blackswanwood
Nordic Pine

Name: Robert

Postby Trevanion » 22 Oct 2020, 19:24

I scratter and press my own peacocks for their sweet oil.

Didn't realise it was any good for wood, I slather it all over myself as it's what gives me my youthful looks!
Trevanion
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 22 Oct 2020, 22:20

Trevanion wrote:I scratter and press my own peacocks for their sweet oil.

Didn't realise it was any good for wood, I slather it all over myself as it's what gives me my youthful looks!

Lots joshing which was expected, but try it and see. Agreed, it's too expensive to slosh onto big projects but for small stuff it's brilliant; my Indian Rosewood has gone the colour of a very deep, very dark Burgundy wine - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby kirkpoore1 » 23 Oct 2020, 00:33

Trevanion wrote:I scratter and press my own peacocks for their sweet oil.

Oh, you squeeze them. I was going to ask about where to drill the well...

:)
kirkpoore1
Old Oak

Name: Kirk

Return to Finishing