It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 10:46

anyone used one of these ?

Help with choosing the right coloured milkpaint to slather all over your new project.

Re: anyone used one of these ?

Postby Craig Salisbury » 14 Jan 2021, 14:07

oh god this is purely hobbyist, and maybe spraying a project every other full moon. I did wonder if i was going a bit safety overboard.

As for airless, I have a fuji 4 stage HVLP and also a Graco GXFF, but the latter i bought for waterborne and thicker materials.

I may we ll just plump for the original which im guessing is better than nothing as i can put filters in front and flexible duct it outside with an exhaust filter

Masks, I have a full face 3m with abek and particle filters, also an air filter in the garage with charcoal filters also for ambient.
Last edited by Craig Salisbury on 14 Jan 2021, 14:26, edited 1 time in total.
- I am not grumpy, im pragmatic
Craig Salisbury
Nordic Pine

Name: Craig Salisbury

Postby 9fingers » 14 Jan 2021, 14:11

I don't know if the same is true for water based spray finishes but I've noticed that water based products brush on have improved hugely from when they were first available. No streaky marks and drying too quickly before it could be brushed out properly.
I'm pretty certain that Robert has been spraying water based finished for a while now and may have an opinion to chip in with?

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Craig Salisbury » 14 Jan 2021, 15:21

9fingers wrote:I don't know if the same is true for water based spray finishes but I've noticed that water based products brush on have improved hugely from when they were first available. No streaky marks and drying too quickly before it could be brushed out properly.
I'm pretty certain that Robert has been spraying water based finished for a while now and may have an opinion to chip in with?

Bob

you still need good ventilation with waterborne finishes as they still have chemicals/VOC's, but they don't go boom, so the cost of the fans are much cheaper.

happy to be corrected though.
Craig Salisbury
Nordic Pine

Postby Woodster » 14 Jan 2021, 15:30

One of the smaller of those fans might be good for shifting hot air out of the house in summer - then I saw the price! :lol:
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby novocaine » 14 Jan 2021, 16:38

Woodster wrote:One of the smaller of those fans might be good for shifting hot air out of the house in summer - then I saw the price! :lol:

machine mart sell a few that aren't Ex rated. just a bit cheaper. ;)
Carbon fibre is just corduroy for cars.
novocaine
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby Craig Salisbury » 15 Jan 2021, 10:37

ahhhh alas after being up banging my head until the middle of the night trying to find a sensibly priced solution, I have decided to try a couple of different products, 2 waterborne clear lacquers/topcoats, one from Morrells and one from Renner. then at least the ventilation side of things becomes that much easier.

The downsides seem to be durability and conditions for application/curing..but ill cross that bridge another time.

on the plus side, less VOC's....so there is that.
Craig Salisbury
Nordic Pine

Previous

Return to Finishing