It is currently 03 Mar 2024, 21:11

The watchers

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

The watchers

Postby Cabinetman » 04 Dec 2023, 13:45

It’s strange how when I log in and talk to the 20? friends of mine on here about all sorts of interesting things I forget it’s also open to all the world to see, obviously I knew that but it’s easy to forget sometimes.
So I was looking at that tatty tool cupboard I posted on Nov 27th on post a photo of the last thing you made.
Since then the whole what have you made thing has received 4577 views. Fascinating to wonder just who they all are ( yes that’s you! Lol) and what they are looking for etc. Just a passing thought.
Ian
Cabinetman
Old Oak

Name: Ian

Re: The watchers

Postby Lurker » 04 Dec 2023, 19:08

Most of them were probably bots
Lurker
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Cabinetman » 04 Dec 2023, 20:14

Well I hope we entertain them, and that their woodwork improves lol.
Cabinetman
Old Oak

Name: Ian

Postby AJB Temple » 04 Dec 2023, 21:41

Yes. You make a very good point. There are only a few active members here, and there are a couple of groupings who know each other face to face. Sometimes I do wonder what the benefit of being a public group is.

As to photos I have pretty much stopped posting any image online that could be plugged into google. Dan tipped me off a while ago that an EU property we were buying, that I posted an internal image of, could be traced in seconds by being put into google. This showed lots of other photos, exact address and the asking price and other details. Salutary lesson.

My wife hates pictures of the inside or outside of our house being posted online, and she is aware that people can pry. So I don't do it and that pretty much kills all WIPs even if we get do drag and drop one day. Technology is not always a welcome advance.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name: Adrian

Postby Phil » 05 Dec 2023, 05:50

If you look at the Scrolling forum and what I post, one of the posts not 1 reply but 5,501 views. :shock:

Also look at some of the other posts and number of views.
Certainly not from this forum.
I do post links to here on yonder site where there is a more active scrolling forum.

I also post the links to family and friends around the world.

{Edit - fix}
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby Lurker » 05 Dec 2023, 12:03

AJB Temple wrote:Yes. You make a very good point. There are only a few active members here, and there are a couple of groupings who know each other face to face. Sometimes I do wonder what the benefit of being a public group is.

There is a similar debate going on over at angling forum, it’s limited to 500 members and some areas are restricted to those. The public can see some but not all.
The ethos over there is similar to here, well moderated to ensure politeness.
The main reason why these are the only two that I participate in.
Lurker
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Alasdair » 05 Dec 2023, 14:20

I have to admit to having sat and watched from afar, the subjects can be facinating (Mikes extension for one as well as the holiday tool chest). I had posted more a couple of years ago but then life and work took over. I am now however in a job which is taking me to facinating old buildings in Scotland and at present I am overseeing the restoration of part of an old 13 century castle (albeit the part i am on was built in 1903) this is on behalf of the National Trust for Scotland. As well as that I am at an old sawmill on the outskirts of glasgow we are trying to stop falliing into the river ultimately this will have the old line drive saws and equipment restored and working again.

Could someone help rotate the photo please...

IMG_2883.jpeg
(229.54 KiB)
Last edited by Andyp on 05 Dec 2023, 14:47, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Mod edit: image rotated
Alasdair
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Andyp » 05 Dec 2023, 14:55

Is that sawmill restoration destined to be working museum?
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Alasdair » 05 Dec 2023, 15:07

That is the idea but ultimately it will come down to money, the rot works and structural work will eat a lot of the available budgets.
Alasdair
New Shoots

Name:

Postby fiveeyes » 06 Dec 2023, 17:05

Watcher here..as you can see, I do not respond much at all. But, I do look in a lot, thanks to the lot of you, that makes this forum so great. I am still in therapy for rotator cuff surgery, therefor I cannot be in the shop, safely. hopefully in the spring. This keeps me going.
do carry on.........bil
fiveeyes
Sapling

Name:

Postby Tellurian » 07 Dec 2023, 10:32

Another watcher here.
I'm not very active in any forum I'm a member of. I think it's a confidence thing. Saying that, I do have a query about an old square and this was the first place I thought of coming to as this does seem to be where the most knowledge is these days.

Also, many thanks for keeping this forum going. I'll try and be a bit more active.
Tellurian
Seedling

Name:

Postby GarF » 07 Dec 2023, 12:40

Tellurian wrote:Another watcher here.
I'm not very active in any forum I'm a member of. I think it's a confidence thing. Saying that, I do have a query about an old square and this was the first place I thought of coming to as this does seem to be where the most knowledge is these days.

Also, many thanks for keeping this forum going. I'll try and be a bit more active.

Same here. I suspect if I spent half as much time doing things as thinking about doing things I'd have more to contribute. Which reminds me, I should be getting along.
G
GarF
Seedling

Name:

Postby Lurker » 07 Dec 2023, 14:31

Tellurian wrote:Another watcher here.

Ooo!
We like old and tools
Lurker
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Tellurian » 07 Dec 2023, 15:04

Lurker wrote:Ooo!
We like old and tools

Here you go: https://www.thewoodhaven2.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=9200

Turned out to be more interesting than I thought.
Tellurian
Seedling

Name:

Postby AndyT » 07 Dec 2023, 17:16

Tellurian wrote:
Lurker wrote:Ooo!
We like old and tools

Here you go: https://www.thewoodhaven2.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=9200

Turned out to be more interesting than I thought.

I'll just add that the apparently undersized bolt and wingnut are also found on Tom Warrington's one of these (in the "Warrington Chest") and on my own. I reckon they are original.
--------------
Andy
AndyT
Old Oak

Name: Andy

Postby wallace » 09 Dec 2023, 13:43

I find forums quite useful, not just for the info but for the interaction. I like the way a topic will digress and end up on something completely different. I dont socialize much so its a bit like going to the pub for a bit crack.
wallace
Nordic Pine

Name:

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat