It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 20:43

LOML is talking about a wet room

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

LOML is talking about a wet room

Postby RogerS » 27 Apr 2017, 16:52

Before I start Googling and frightening myself silly, anyone have any sage words to impart ?
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Re: LOML is talking about a wet room

Postby MJ80 » 27 Apr 2017, 19:10

Hi,
I have done quite a few using various systems, what do you want to know?
MJ80
Sapling

Name:

Postby RogerS » 27 Apr 2017, 19:26

MJ80 wrote:Hi,
I have done quite a few using various systems, what do you want to know?

Is it easy?

Does it leak ?

What about splashing outside the wet shower zone?
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Rod » 27 Apr 2017, 19:36

I've experienced a few in my time, some excellent a few really bad - the bigger the room the better and probably easier.
Worst one was in a hotel in Italy- so small everything got wet including the toilet roll - water ran out into the bedroom!

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerS » 27 Apr 2017, 20:17

That's the thing. If you look at the Matki catalogue they seem to only talk about a wet room where the shower is. As do some companies that advertise wet room shower tray areas. Yet to my mind a wet room is exactly that...a room
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Rod » 27 Apr 2017, 23:24

Yes with the floor sloping down to a drain, generally under the shower.
We have a shower room but the shower is "contained" in a shower cubicle.
A nice one I experienced was a walk-in shower made of frosted glass blocks in the form of a spiral - no doors and no water escaping.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby MJ80 » 28 Apr 2017, 09:47

Hi Rog,
There are a couple of different systems on the market. I prefer the cement backed foam shower trays as they can be trimmed to fit.
I am assuming this is going to be on a joisted floor.
The shower trays are available in different thicknesses depending on the existing floor thickness and also the allowance for the tile backed boards for the floor (dont use ply). The cement foam boards from memory serve me right in 9mm work really well and will keep everything running level
Basically the flooring is cut out for the shower tray and the joists are battened to take 12mm ply that sits between and level with the top of the joists. The waste is bought into position. Use 50 mm solvent weld. Some systems have a polystyrene support block for the trap which sits between the joists level with the ply, others need a bit of ply under the trap to support it. It is important to note that the trap interlocks and seals to the drain cover on the shower base so you don't need to worry about leaks.
The tray is then fitted using a they recommended shower tray fixer. It is basically a special rapid flexible tile adhesive. Spread it over the ply and on the back of the tray, hold it (the hole for the trap is useful) and lay it on the ply and clip the trap into position. Check it is level in both directions with a spirit level and leave it to go off. Some evenly distributed weight works well here.
Note you cant walk on the shower tray till it has been tiled, this applies to the tile boards on the floor so a bit of ply to spread the weight.
The wall boards are then fitted. You have a couple of options. There are the foam core cement boards in 12mm, MR plasterboard which will need to be tanked or the cement boards (no more ply/hardibacker type).
In the shower area you have to as minimum have 2' off the deck with these. I generally do the entire wall height in the really wet area. I'll dig out some photos or do some drawings to explain.

Prime the walls and the floor using the recommended primer

Once it has been boarded then it needs taping. There are two types of tape available, one has an adhesive mastic on the back that you just stick on the joints, the other has a rubberised back and is applied over liquid latex (smerf *) and then you paint more over the top and feather it into the boards a couple of inches. You to be fast with the liquid latex as it can dry a little as you get the tape on, but it is quite simple to do and you can also put some on the back of the tape to as well.

So in order of taping

Internal and external corners - these are specially cut pieces
Around the base of the tray into the corners - I do the entire room if it is small, round the base of bath etc.
Vertical corners - these must over lap the corner pieces at the bottom
Wall joints vertical - again over lap the base taping
wall joints horizontal

The paint the walls in the wet area and floor (depending on the job) with smerf * and wait till it is dry and give it another coat and you are good to go

Check this video for the tanking usind this system. He uses a trowel for putting the bedding on and first coat, looks like a genius idea. I'll try it with the next bathroom.

MJ80
Sapling

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 28 Apr 2017, 10:10

After the plumber installed the P Bath in my bathroom, I used a similar system with similar materials, available from screw suppliers, to tank the walls around the fat end of the bath before tiling the whole room.

I'm a DIYer, and it's worked for me.

I've got no experience at proofing a floor.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Phil » 28 Apr 2017, 10:59

In our bathroom 2 is a shower 2mx1m walkin with a foldup stainless steel seat.
Designed for wheelchair access.

There is a fixed glass panel of 1m and the swing door of 1m which opens nealy 170 degrees.

This is the shower that I use (my bathroom), the door stays open when I shower and there is no mess outside of the shower at all. 8-)
The shower head is on a flexible pipe, again for use if you are seated (old people).

The bathroom 1 shower is a 1mx1m also with a seat (wifes bathroom).
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby RogerS » 28 Apr 2017, 18:52

Many thanks for that very detailed reply, MJ.

LOML has her eye on this one from Matki http://www.matki.co.uk/Product/Wet-Room-Curved-Panel. I found this website https://www.wetrooms-online.com/wet-roo ... -kits.html but totally confused with the web page as there seems to be so many variants.

How does the water run towards the drain? Is the ray slightly dished and you tile into it and the dishing channels the water?

What about spray outside the screen area? Do you have to have a slight slope on the floor to encourage the spray to run towards the drain?
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby MJ80 » 28 Apr 2017, 19:40

If you look at the trays they have falls from each edge to the trap. You can get the traps positioned where you want them with some companies for a small extra charge.
Tiling is best left to someone experienced doing them as you need to do an envelope cut with the tiles in the tray. What that means is you follow the pattern of the trays fall by cutting the whole tile along the same line of the valleys in the fall. The top of the trap where the grid sits is set to the height of the tile plus adhesive and you work into that.
You can use mosiacs (don't go for pebbles they are a nightmare, I know this from bitter experience) etc, but full tiles work a lot better.
Setting out can follow the room or treat the wetroom as seperate. It is best to chat with a tiler about what would work best in your room.
MJ80
Sapling

Name:

Postby MJ80 » 28 Apr 2017, 19:47

You can get a longer tray than the screen to encourage water back. A 800 screen should catch most of the water, but some might escape. It is good practice to squejee the floor and glass when you get out, its the best way of getting any excess water out the way.

Ourcurrent showerroom has a really short 700 screen because the room is really small and some water escapes. Our old place had no screen, I knocked the toiler and bathroom together and the shower was in the old toilet area with a short stud wall separating from the rest of the bathroom. It was a massive 500 x 1000 tray and there was no problem with water escaping, but it did have a rain shower so water was directed down more than forward
MJ80
Sapling

Name:

Postby RogerS » 29 Apr 2017, 05:40

Much appreciated, thanks. I'd picked up re tiling from a website but not your suggestion of following the valleys. That suggests to me that the pattern in the tray is 'out' relative to the rest of the room? Looking at the floor in the Matki image, the tiles are carried through as a continuous pattern.

Or have Matki done what all bathroom manufacturers do....show their wares 'without pipes' as it were.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby MJ80 » 29 Apr 2017, 08:52

I might be reading it completely wrong, but the Matki link is just for the screen, it doesn't mention the tray, trap etc
MJ80
Sapling

Name:

Postby RogerS » 29 Apr 2017, 09:19

MJ80 wrote:I might be reading it completely wrong, but the Matki link is just for the screen, it doesn't mention the tray, trap etc

No, you're not wrong. But if you look closely at the floor tiles in the photo on their site of the curved screen then you'll see that they are not envelope cut.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby MJ80 » 29 Apr 2017, 16:35

It will probably just be a mock up without a tray under it.
MJ80
Sapling

Name:

Postby Phil » 07 May 2017, 07:51

Just an observation ……….

These glass panel showers look great and even better frameless. 8-)

BUT, BUT, but, they are a pain-in-the-arse-mission to keep the glass clean. :(

When I have showered, I have to take a dry towel (one end) to wipe down the glass and then the other end to ‘polish’ it all nice and shiny. And the stainless steel seat, and all the pipes and taps.

In the middle of summer after all that exertion you need to have another shower! :lol:
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby RogerS » 18 Jun 2017, 17:46

Back to this one again as I may have made a rod for my own back getting this screen. It's designed to rest on the floor but it is curved. So if you position this screen on the normal wetroom tray, the distance between the bottom of the screen and the tray is going to vary.

So there is no support for the screen at the end furthest from the wall fixture! Another company who also make a curved screen have a chrome foot that fits to the end of the shower screen for precisely this reason. They are at great pains to point out that it is only available when purchased with their screen. :(

Will have to ask Matki tomorrow otherwise it's going to be a bodge job jacking it up with a bit of plastic.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Tusses » 19 Jun 2017, 19:28

sorry .. nothing constructive to say .. but is it just the slight slexdixic in me that always reads the title as

LMAO .. She wants a wet room !

?? :eusa-think:
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Mike G » 19 Jun 2017, 21:39

Sorry to be a wet blanket, but these things are a fashion item, and a pain. The only place I would ever contemplate having them is on a solid floor. Suspended timber floor?.......forget it. As someone said earlier, in a wet room, stuff gets wet. Towels, mirrors, toilet roll, loo seat......so the only way they work is if you have a very big room. I honestly can't see what the problem is with a shower screen, or what the big deal is with not having to step a whole inch up onto a modern shower tray. I consider that a small price to pay for having a dry and useable room.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat