It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 16:07

AirPrint Printer?

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

AirPrint Printer?

Postby Woodster » 07 Jun 2018, 21:39

Have any of you bought an AirPrint compatible printer you can recommend? We’ve got a Brother HL L8250 colour laser but the network card seems to have failed in it at 1 year and 2 months old. :( We can still print via USB but we bought it specifically to print from our iPads.
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Re: AirPrint Printer?

Postby TrimTheKing » 08 Jun 2018, 00:52

I’ve got a Brother HL-3140C at home and it does a decent job.

For my old printer I bought a WiFi print server which turns any printer with a USB into a WiFi printer. A quick google shows they can be had for around £40. Cheaper than buying a new printer...
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Andyp » 08 Jun 2018, 06:08

I cant help if you want to stick with a laser. My father and I both have a HP envy 5530, works well off the iPads on wifi. Cant complain but we do not do a lot of printing, documents only.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Woodbloke » 08 Jun 2018, 09:50

Andyp wrote:... have a HP envy 5530, works well off the iPads on wifi. Cant complain but we do not do a lot of printing, documents only.

We've just bought a HP5032 (bog standard ink jet) as our old Kodak packed up with a 'boom' when I plugged it a few weeks ago. We still need hard copy, but seem to print off less and less paper these days as all relevant docs are stored in iBooks on my iPad. Boarding cards is the next thing we'll need when we go our hols - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Woodster » 08 Jun 2018, 09:58

TrimTheKing wrote:
For my old printer I bought a WiFi print server which turns any printer with a USB into a WiFi printer. A quick google shows they can be had for around £40. Cheaper than buying a new printer...

I did consider a print server but the one I saw was about £250. Will a WiFi print server do the job or does it need to be AirPrint specific to work with our iPads?
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 08 Jun 2018, 10:07

Yeah you might be right. You need a separate app installed on your IOS device to do that, which I recall I think I did. Still worked fine though and much cheaper than the only dedicated Airprint enabled print server I could find so worth a look surely...

I don't use mine any longer so can send it you to try if you like?
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby Woodster » 08 Jun 2018, 10:26

Thanks Mark. I’ve had another look and there seem to be lots of issues whether a print server will talk to the printer you have. Lots of one star reviews out there so maybe not for me. Thanks anyway. We’re going to get another printer and hope the Chinese electronics lasts a bit longer ... :lol:
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Rod » 08 Jun 2018, 10:46

Scan do one for £46 that works with Mac OS and Win 7.

Boarding Passes - I’ve had some horrible experiences with them!!

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Woodster » 08 Jun 2018, 11:30

Rod wrote:

Rod

Do tell!?

Until last month we hadn’t flown since 2002 and that was with BA. Printing your own BP is new to us and we seemed to manage ok but we’re off again in a couple of months.
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 08 Jun 2018, 12:04

Woodster wrote:
Rod wrote:

Rod

Do tell!?

Until last month we hadn’t flown since 2002 and that was with BA. Printing your own BP is new to us and we seemed to manage ok but we’re off again in a couple of months.

We've printed off our boarding passes for severial years now and have never had any issues with the system and it certainly speeds up the process of checking in etc. In 2002 the technology wasn't in place to allow you to do it - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 08 Jun 2018, 12:07

Without wanting to derail another thread, on my last work trip to India I loved the fact that I could store my boarding cards into the 'Wallet' app on my iPhone. No need to print or carry any paperwork at all. That was Emirates, not sure if all airlines offer that...
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby Woodster » 08 Jun 2018, 13:59

Interesting Mark.

Update. The printer has decided to work this morning. :? Don’t know why. I left it unplugged last night. Unplugged the Netgear WiFi extender this morning, swapped out the powerline adapter the printer is plugged into and it still wouldn’t print. I’ve been looking at replacement printers this morning and checking the online manuals for a couple of possible machines. I’ve been looking in particular at the network settings etc. For some reason I decided to log into the Virgin Superhub and couldn’t help notice the printer was listed as connected for the past 31 minutes so I tried to print to it and it worked, for now at least. ;)
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 08 Jun 2018, 14:30

Haha, good stuff, roll with it.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby Rod » 08 Jun 2018, 19:21

Well you did ask

Internal flight to Edinburgh with lots of family, I was last through Check- in carrying a young Granddaughter but only my boarding pass.
Staff would not let us through and wouldn’t send someone to get the pass from Granddaughter’s parents.
After a very long wait, my family members realised we were missing and came back to find us!

In Italy, Lost boarding pass at the Duty Free - had to wait until all passengers were accounted for before I was let on.

On a flight to Santa Barbara booked with BA, the USA part was carried out by American Airlines using SW Airlines.
For the return journey we couldn’t check-in online nor print boarding passes for the LA to LHR flight. We tried at the hotel and SB airport and when we got to LA we were told there was no seats available as we hadn’t checked in!!
I refused to budge, was extremely angry, asked to see the person in charge and eventually got seats. It seems BA’s and AA’s systems are not compatible and this problem happens quite a lot!!

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerS » 08 Jun 2018, 19:56

TrimTheKing wrote:Without wanting to derail another thread, on my last work trip to India I loved the fact that I could store my boarding cards into the 'Wallet' app on my iPhone. No need to print or carry any paperwork at all. That was Emirates, not sure if all airlines offer that...

And when the battery runs out ? Or the phone dies ? For something like a boarding pass IMO you can't beat paper !
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 08 Jun 2018, 21:37

RogerS wrote:
TrimTheKing wrote:Without wanting to derail another thread, on my last work trip to India I loved the fact that I could store my boarding cards into the 'Wallet' app on my iPhone. No need to print or carry any paperwork at all. That was Emirates, not sure if all airlines offer that...

And when the battery runs out ? Or the phone dies ? For something like a boarding pass IMO you can't beat paper !

I carry spare battery pack wherever I go and so long as you have your passport they can print boarding passes at the check in desk. Get with the programme old man!
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby RogerS » 09 Jun 2018, 04:34

TrimTheKing wrote:
RogerS wrote:

I carry spare battery pack wherever I go and so long as you have your passport they can print boarding passes at the check in desk. Get with the programme old man!

Ah, my apologies. I didn't realise that you had one of those really old phones that let you replace the battery ! :lol:

With regard to using your passport, I look forward to us hearing the tales of how long it took Mark to negotiate his way back past security, through to joining the queues at the Ryanair check-in desks and trying to explain to that nice Ryanair lady why you don;t want to may £zillions to reprint your boarding pass and then how long and how much it cost to rebook on anther flight as yours had just departed. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Paper boarding pass = KISS.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

AirPrint Printer?

Postby TrimTheKing » 09 Jun 2018, 21:27

Haha. A power pack with USB port charging I mean! I have an Anker one that will do 3 full iPhone charges on a single charge and with 2 adults and 2 kids each with one or more devices it comes everywhere with us. Little larger than a pack of 20 cigarettes.

Ryanair? Sorry I don’t understand what that means...?

I don’t disagree by the way, but it worked fine and was a suggested option on the Emirates site so I had no reason to believe it would be an issue. Obviously each airline will differ.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby Rod » 10 Jun 2018, 00:36

British Airways have their own app which does the same thing and I believe it transfers to Wallet too??

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Woodster » 21 Jun 2018, 15:56

The printer has decided not to work again so I’m looking at replacing it, maybe with a Canon this time.
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat