It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:03

Roundabouts

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Re: Roundabouts

Postby Woodster » 11 Nov 2019, 12:12

I read that autonomous vehicles would reduce accidents by 95%. Given the huge number of deaths and serious injuries even a 50% reduction would be welcome. ;)
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby StevieB » 11 Nov 2019, 12:26

Lets imagine for a moment that driverless cars enter the market. Uptake would be slow as existing standard cars would need to be phased out. Now presumably your standard driverless car is going to obey all traffic laws and speed limits etc. How many times have any of you seen an eejit overtake dangerously a car obeying a speed limit in eg a 30 limit. Or dangerously overtake (undertake?) on a motorway because somebody is doing 70 in the middle or outside lane. How frustrating is it going to be if 10% of drivers on the road obey all the rules? I imagine frustration will quickly reach a point whereby accidents are more common for a while as people try to avoid driverless cars.

Driverless car will break if it detects an obstacle in its path? Pull out in front of it then, it will stop! Edge out in front of one when joining traffic - it will stop. Theoretically. It is not the technology that will be the biggest barrier, it will be integrating this into a society that is not ready for it that will be the biggest barrier to a successful roll out.
StevieB
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Dave R » 11 Nov 2019, 13:43

I think the legal thing is going to be a big issue. I've heard some auto manufacturers have been reluctant to get in to the self-driving car and I can't say I'd blame them. Kind of a dilemma, too. Do you stay out of the self-driving car business and let other companies take the lead or do you get in and accept you'll be sued every other day because one of your cars ran over a child that darted into the road or another driver turned into your car's path?
Dave R
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby RogerS » 11 Nov 2019, 22:43

Woodster wrote:I read that autonomous vehicles would reduce accidents by 95%. Given the huge number of deaths and serious injuries even a 50% reduction would be welcome. ;)

Was that published by one of the autonomous car manufacturers by any chance ? ;)
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby HappyHacker » 12 Nov 2019, 10:27

I am not sure accidents will decrease with autonomous cars - I can imagine the numpties wanting to play chicken to see if they stop.

On the subject of roundabouts: many years ago on the way home from holiday I drove through Paris so the children could see the sights. The standard of driving was generally terrible. I thought I can drive as badly as this, especially as I was driving a well laden very tatty and dented (not be me) Volvo 240 estate. Having seen the Eiffel tower we drove down the Champs-Élysées. At the Arc de triumph there were no cars in front of me but at least five lanes of traffic going around it. I thought "they have to give way to the right" so I just carried on and everyone going around the Arc de Triumph stopped. My children did liken my driving to a scary fairground ride.

I drove around one of the magic roundabouts somewhere and can remember following the same technique as I had absolutely no idea where I was going or what I was meant to be doing. I can only imagine they work because no one can work out how they work so everyone has to go slowly. A technique I have seen used in a few places where there are no road markings and no pedestrian crossings every one just has to slow down and be considerate. It seems to work very well until someone stops to try and decide what's going on.
HappyHacker
Sapling

Name: Kevin

Postby Woodster » 12 Nov 2019, 10:36

RogerS wrote:
Woodster wrote:I read that autonomous vehicles would reduce accidents by 95%. Given the huge number of deaths and serious injuries even a 50% reduction would be welcome. ;)

Was that published by one of the autonomous car manufacturers by any chance ? ;)

No ones manufacturing AC’s at the moment, they’re still in the research stage. ;)

But no it wasn’t. Can’t find the original article but a quick google and I got this from the US DOT.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/how-auton ... worldwide/

Another interesting article. Certainly buying a tin box and leaving it unused outside your house for 95% of the time does seem stupid. Many youngsters are apparently going off car ownership from what I read a while back.

https://www.businessinsider.com/carpoca ... ?r=US&IR=T
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerS » 12 Nov 2019, 12:43

Woodster wrote:..... Certainly buying a tin box and leaving it unused outside your house for 95% of the time does seem stupid. ....

No, it doesn't. It depends on the context/situation/personal preference of the owner. I live way out in the sticks. A car is essential.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby chataigner » 12 Nov 2019, 14:20

RogerS wrote:
Woodster wrote:..... Certainly buying a tin box and leaving it unused outside your house for 95% of the time does seem stupid. ....

No, it doesn't. It depends on the context/situation/personal preference of the owner. I live way out in the sticks. A car is essential.

Same here. We have a baker in the village, but for everything else it's a 30km round trip and there is no public transport service.
Cheers !
Chataigner in Périgord-Limousin National park
http://www.rue-darnet.fr
chataigner
Old Oak

Name: David

Postby Woodster » 12 Nov 2019, 14:21

RogerS wrote:

Privately owned cars are not essential, you just think they are. Humans have lived quite happily without them for the last few thousand years. We’ve just changed the way we live to suit the convenience of motorised transport. Once public car ownership is phased out we will soon get used to autonomous cars if that’s what replaces it.

https://medium.com/parkbob/the-times-th ... 722d9da9db

Governments have never cared about the 1% who live in the countryside or the 0.5% who tow a caravan, and that’s never going to change. Not here in the UK and much of Europe anyway. And when did any government care about personal preference! :lol:
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby flying haggis » 12 Nov 2019, 15:56

i remember taking 60ft of wagon and drag round the swindon one some years back. most other drivers seemed to think it was prudent to let me through....... :)
flying haggis
Sapling

Name:

Postby StevieB » 12 Nov 2019, 17:10

Woodster wrote:
Privately owned cars are not essential, you just think they are. Humans have lived quite happily without them for the last few thousand years. We’ve just changed the way we live to suit the convenience of motorised transport.

Yeah - growing your own food, trapping animals from the forest and marrying within a 5 mile radius generation after generation is such a good idea, cannot think why we gave it up :twisted: You try living in the country and relying on a twice a day bus service (if you are lucky) and see how you get on.... private transport is indeed essential for vast swathes of the population that do not live in an urban environment.
StevieB
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby RogerS » 12 Nov 2019, 17:17

Woodster wrote:
RogerS wrote:

Privately owned cars are not essential, you just think they are. Humans have lived quite happily without them for the last few thousand years. ....

Yes we also lived without medicine. Lived on a diet of home grown potatoes and turnips if we were very lucky in a good year.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby RogerS » 12 Nov 2019, 17:18

StevieB wrote:
Woodster wrote:
Privately owned cars are not essential, you just think they are. Humans have lived quite happily without them for the last few thousand years. We’ve just changed the way we live to suit the convenience of motorised transport.

Yeah - growing your own food, trapping animals from the forest and marrying within a 5 mile radius generation after generation is such a good idea, cannot think why we gave it up :twisted: You try living in the country and relying on a twice a day bus service (if you are lucky) and see how you get on.... private transport is indeed essential for vast swathes of the population that do not live in an urban environment.

:text-bravo: :text-goodpost:
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 12 Nov 2019, 17:25

And with only two major hospitals in a county the size of Devon, and that's including Plymouth, getting to an appointment and back can be more than a day out for some who live in the other towns, let alone in the country.

And cross county border bus services are few.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby SamQ aka Ah! Q! » 14 Nov 2019, 21:33

Lived on a diet of home grown potatoes

Only post-Raleigh....there were things like Alexanders etc before the New World tubers arrived.

Just sayin'....

Sam

P.S. That "marrying inside a 5 mile radius" explains a few people I grew up with...
A pragmatist inside a perpetual optimist, heavily influenced by an experienced cynic, wrapped around by an aging relic.
SamQ aka Ah! Q!
Old Oak

Name: Sam

Postby Malc2098 » 14 Nov 2019, 23:02

And that Walt..... Overheard a conversation on the phone this end before he came back to Blighty.

What you got for us this time, Walt, you got another winner for us?
Tob-acco... er, what's tob-acco, Walt?...
It's a kind of leaf, huh?...
And you bought eighty tonnes of it?!!...
Let me get this straight, Walt, you've bought eighty tonnes of leaves? This may come as a kind of a surprise to you Walt but come fall in England, we're kinda upto our...
It isn't that kind of leaf, huh?...
Oh!, what kind is it then... some special kind of food?...
Not exactly?...
Oh, it has a lot of different uses, like, what are some of the uses, Walt?...
Are you saying 'snuff', Walt?...
What's snuff?...
You take a pinch of tobacco... and you shove it up your nose. ha! ha!... and it makes you sneeze? ha! ha! ha!...
Yeh, I imagine it would, Walt! Hey, Goldenrod seems to do it pretty well over here!
It has other uses though, huh?...
You can chew it!... or put it in a pipe!... or you can shred it up... and put it in a piece of paper. ha! ha! ha!... and roll it up. ha ha ha... Don't tell me, Walt, don't tell me. ha! ha! ha! you stick it in your ear, right? ha! ha! ha!...
Oh! between your lips!...
Then what do you do, Walt? ha! ha! ha!...
You set fire to it! ha! ha! ha!...
Then what do you do, Walt?...
Ha! ha! ha! You inhale the smoke, huh! ha! ha! ha!...
You know, Walt... it seems you can stand in front of your own fireplace and have the same thing going for you!
You see, Walt... we've been a little worried about you, y'know, ever since you put your cape down over that mud.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby Malc2098 » 14 Nov 2019, 23:39

Courtesy of Bob Newhart!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby chataigner » 15 Nov 2019, 12:12

SamQ aka Ah! Q! wrote:

P.S. That "marrying inside a 5 mile radius" explains a few people I grew up with...

I have a friend who lives in a seriously rural area who claims the police cant use DNA testing around there...cos everyone's the same. :twisted: :twisted:
Cheers !
Chataigner in Périgord-Limousin National park
http://www.rue-darnet.fr
chataigner
Old Oak

Name: David

Postby flying haggis » 17 Nov 2019, 17:27

chataigner wrote:
SamQ aka Ah! Q! wrote:

I have a friend who lives in a seriously rural area who claims the police cant use DNA testing around there...cos everyone's the same. :twisted: :twisted:

Wisbech??
flying haggis
Sapling

Name:

Postby SamQ aka Ah! Q! » 19 Nov 2019, 00:49

Wisbech??

Nah...it has got to be West Fermanagh... :eusa-shhh:

Sam, from Brookeborough...
A pragmatist inside a perpetual optimist, heavily influenced by an experienced cynic, wrapped around by an aging relic.
SamQ aka Ah! Q!
Old Oak

Name: Sam

Previous

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat