It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 02:54

I hate plumbing !

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

I hate plumbing !

Postby chataigner » 18 May 2015, 16:44

Yesterday I returned from a long weekend break (Lyon, loved it) to find a very fine jet of hot water issuing from the back of the boiler. Investigation revealed a badly corroded brazed joint in amongst three others leading to the overpressure valve and drain plug etc. (our boiler provides the hot water too and is fed direct from the mains, hence the overpressure valve). So today it was out with the tools and replace the whole badly made bodge. :evil: :evil:

Here is my solution with improvised drain plug using a stop end as I happened to have one in my box of goodies.

Here is what I took out :

Le bodge !

It looks as though the pipes didnt line up and had been forced into place, then the joints were built up to achieve a seal even though they were wildly out of alignment. As for the drain plug, well I thought mine was a compromise, but this is a shower fitting !
Cheers !
Chataigner in Périgord-Limousin National park
http://www.rue-darnet.fr
chataigner
Old Oak

Name: David

Re: I hate plumbing !

Postby Andyp » 18 May 2015, 16:52

A much better job David.

This whole brazing malarky over here is too much for me. I GALMI when any problems occur. Of course the french plumbers do not understand how the thinner pipe used in the UK along with soldered joints (which they reckon are too brittle) can possible be any good.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Rob » 18 May 2015, 17:12

Ah Mon Dieu........merde alors!
Rob
Sapling

Name:

Postby WilmaD » 14 Feb 2017, 10:47

A year ago, when I was on a business trip in India, in the house where I lived there was exactly the same pipe breakage. I do not even know what I do with it, I was very lucky that my neighbor advised me this service Mod action. Url Redacted, and literally within half an hour they all repaired for a very low price.
WilmaD
Seedling

Name:

Postby HappyHacker » 14 Feb 2017, 22:31

While I was rewiring a house the plumber was putting in a replacement CH system. As he took various bits of the old CH copper pipe out he would show me the soldered joints that he pulled apart by hand. Nearly every joint was poorly soldered but had never leaked, probably due to the low pressure. Neither the plumber or I had ever seen anything like that before and I have done a fair bit of plumbing.
HappyHacker
Sapling

Name: Kevin

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat