It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 09:58

Chip off the old block

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Chip off the old block

Postby Wizard9999 » 29 Sep 2015, 19:17

Super excited this afternoon, my daughter came home from school and said "I decided to join wooden toy making club" :eusa-dance: . Well says I, "you do know that pretty much everything they have at school we have within 3m of the back door". "Really?" says she. "Oh yes, you can do extra work on your toys at home".

I think I may have a convert, well for now anyway :D .

On a serious note, it is one of the reasons we were keen for her to go to an all girls school (yes, I know there are other reasons for a father wanting his daughter at an all girls school ;) ). The logic was not so much around woodwork, but more subjects like physics or chemistry; I understand that the number of girls doing hard core science subjects at a girls school is way more than double that at a mixed school. Problem in a mixed school is that the girls get the message "oh, that is a boys' subject", usually from the boys of course. Can you imagine how many girls wood join the woodworking club in a mixed school?!?

Terry.
Wizard9999
Old Oak

Name: Lord Radford

Re: Chip off the old block

Postby Andyp » 29 Sep 2015, 19:42

That's great news. What age is she Terry?
Oh how I wish that kind of activity was available in the schools here.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Rob » 29 Sep 2015, 20:39

Better watch out Terry....she'll have that veritas making shavings before you at this rate!! :shock:
Rob
Sapling

Name:

Postby Dan0741 » 29 Sep 2015, 20:53

Good news Terry on the new apprentice! And I concur entirely with the disparity between schools. Its a wider phenomenon than I think we generally understand; for boys and girls. :eusa-clap:
...time is precious; waste it wisely...
Dan0741
Sapling

Name: Dan

Postby Wizard9999 » 30 Sep 2015, 07:45

She is 12 Andy. When we looked around schools for her I was always very interested in the Design & Technology depts. and especially what sort of 'kit' they had as well as the work of the older students, some of which was very impressive in terms of design. Of course, when SWMBO and I discussed the schools suggestions from me that one was better because of the Startrite bandsaw did not go down well :lol: .

It is the bandsaw she has her eye on Rob, not sure they have done much with hand tools yet.

Terry.
Wizard9999
Old Oak

Postby Wizard9999 » 30 Sep 2015, 07:50

Dan0741 wrote:Good news Terry on the new apprentice! And I concur entirely with the disparity between schools. Its a wider phenomenon than I think we generally understand; for boys and girls. :eusa-clap:

Yes, I am sure you are right Dan and I can't deny that I would have to work hard to deal with my own prejudices. Funny isn't it, delighted my daughter is at the moment interested in woodwork, but what of my son? If he said his one love was Food Technology, OK can live with that as there are lots of top male chefs on the TV and I like an occasional visit to a fancy restaurant, but what if it were Textiles (needlework to oldies like me), I think I would struggle with that but it's neither logical nor fair :( .

Terry.
Wizard9999
Old Oak

Postby Dan0741 » 30 Sep 2015, 20:12

Terry - We all carry prejudice I think. Its just knowing that one does that's important. On a lighter note if I were you I would fully embrace needlework etc... It could be considerably worse. I would struggle a bit if my son came home one day wearing a dress, so a bit of needlework or home economics is fine and dandy with me - again; neither fair nor logical! :?
...time is precious; waste it wisely...
Dan0741
Sapling

Name: Dan

Postby Rob » 30 Sep 2015, 22:19

You know (quite seriously) I genuinely wish I had a rudimentary knowledge of needlework because its blinking useful at times. I cant count the times when I've wanted to make a thick cloth bag in the garage as a plane sock or some such. Just the basics would be really useful when a wooden box isn't the right solution. One day I should get the Missus to teach me. One day that is.
Rob
Sapling

Name:

Postby chataigner » 01 Oct 2015, 07:58

Rob wrote:You know (quite seriously) I genuinely wish I had a rudimentary knowledge of needlework because its blinking useful at times. I cant count the times when I've wanted to make a thick cloth bag in the garage as a plane sock or some such. Just the basics would be really useful when a wooden box isn't the right solution. One day I should get the Missus to teach me. One day that is.

:text-+1:
Cheers !
Chataigner in Périgord-Limousin National park
http://www.rue-darnet.fr
chataigner
Old Oak

Name: David

Postby Rod » 01 Oct 2015, 17:26

I don't think you need to be taught needlework to be able to sew?

Never had to sew a button on or repair a split in your pants?

I always used to carry a sewing kit I my briefcase usually the ones supplied in hotels.

Plane socks - for small stuff I use old socks.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat