It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:32

An eBay con?

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

An eBay con?

Postby Wizard9999 » 06 Apr 2016, 00:00

SWMBO has put a few items of the kids stuff they are too big for now on eBay, it gets very little money but we give it to the kids anyway so it is nice for them. However, we seem to have a problem brewing and I would appreciate any thoughts.

She sold a quality branded skirt for a pathetic £1.24 and as per the add posted it second class yesterday. Today she received a message to say the seller wants to return it and wants her to pay their postage and give a full refund. The reason given is they say the items is a less good branded skirt. She knows she sent the right item, she has not bought a skirt made by the brand the buyer claims to have received, and indeed we are very sceptical that it will have arrived having been posted second class only yesterday.

However, it occurs to me that if the buyer already has the inferior item they claim we sent them they may claim they can prove they were sent the wrong item, just because they have one. If this is a scam and they succeed they will have got the quality item for free and we will get back the inferior item and be out of pocket for postage there and back.

Anyone ever come across anything similar or know how we can resist this if it is an attempt to con us?

Regards,
Terry.

PS I know it could be they have received the other item having won more than one auction at similar times, but surely they would realise it was the other auction item and not the one we sent.
Wizard9999
Old Oak

Name: Lord Radford

Re: An eBay con?

Postby Rod » 06 Apr 2016, 08:56

I've heard lots of stories similar to these, my Grandson sold a perfectly working graphics card for £200 to be told by the buyer it was faulty.
It was more likely the buyer broke it installing it into his machine?
PayPal give the buyer a refund and my Grandson got nothing!
I'm very wary of eBay now and redundant items of clothing etc we give to charity shops.
Age UK, in our area, will collect most things, not just clothes.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby StevieB » 06 Apr 2016, 09:14

Did you post photos of the label in the listing - ie can you prove what you listed was a branded item? I know you could technically take a picture of 1 item and post out another, but at least you could prove you had the correct item in the first place....

Failing that swallow the loss - pay them back the £1.24 and tell them to keep the item so you don't pay for postage return. I know it hurts, but it is less than the price of a coffee so in the grand scheme of things this is a matter of pride/morality rather than price.

Steve
StevieB
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby chippy1970 » 06 Apr 2016, 18:55

I've just had trouble with a seller on there. Ordered 4 winbags the other week for £30 which is cheap if you know what they are. Nothing turned up so I messaged them about 3 times over a week with no reply. Had to then wait a week or more before I could open a case to get a refund. I then saw the seller had started another account, changed name slightly and was still pretending to sell the same items. Scum !!

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk
chippy1970
New Shoots

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 06 Apr 2016, 20:58

Winbags? seem like a solution looking for a problem. Whatever happened to folding wedges?

I virtually never sell on Ebay but do buy a lot mainly from shops. On the odd occasion when there has been a problem the vendor invariably makes a refund immediately and does not want the item returned or try and resolve the issue. They seem to prefer to just write off the sale.
What I object to is that they try and make the refund conditional on giving them good feedback as if nothing was wrong. One or two have got shirty when I have left neutral feedback saying something like "Full refund given for defective goods" but I have refused to change it.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Wizard9999 » 07 Apr 2016, 09:46

9fingers wrote:I virtually never sell on Ebay but do buy a lot mainly from shops. On the odd occasion when there has been a problem the vendor invariably makes a refund immediately and does not want the item returned or try and resolve the issue. They seem to prefer to just write off the sale.
What I object to is that they try and make the refund conditional on giving them good feedback as if nothing was wrong. One or two have got shirty when I have left neutral feedback saying something like "Full refund given for defective goods" but I have refused to change it.

Bob

To be honest Bob if I understand what happened correctly I can see why they would be unhappy as for some genuine sellers keeping 100% positive feedback is important for their business. They sent you an item, it was faulty so they gave you all your money back (I presume including postage) and you do not have to return the faulty item. That sounds like pretty good customer service to me, in fact it is exactly what Axminster did when my cheap ear defenders broke and I was very happy to sing their praises about it.

SWMBO's issue now seems to have been resolved. We pushed back hard saying we knew we had sent the right item, could prove it and would not make a refund (not that I thnk it would be possible to easily prove such a thing definitively). They have now suddenly decided there isn't a problem. Of course whether they do the right thing and withdraw the eBay complaint proceedings as quickly as they started them so we can have the money released is another matter.

Regards,
Terry.
Wizard9999
Old Oak

Postby 9fingers » 07 Apr 2016, 11:26

In my case Terry, to deserve 100% positive feedback they should have been offering a replacement of a working item. Although I did not lose out financially, I was a week down the line and still had to buy a replacement item from another source to I was less than 100% satisfied and gave truthful feedback.

Anyway glad to hear your issue was resolved. Did they leave feedback for you by any chance?

Cheers
Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Wizard9999 » 07 Apr 2016, 13:41

That's fair comment Bob, you did lose time and I guess if I had wanted a replacement set of defenders Axminster would have sent them although I took the opportunity to upgrade to better ones. Haven't dared look to see if we have feedback but my guess is they just won't leave any for fear of reciprocal bad feedback.

Terry.
Wizard9999
Old Oak

Postby chippy1970 » 12 Apr 2016, 17:33

9fingers wrote:Winbags? seem like a solution looking for a problem. Whatever happened to folding wedges?

Bob

Not at all Bob they're brilliant. I've only just bought a couple to try out but for my job they're great. For holding stuff in place or lifting fitted furniture or machines.

They even work as a great router lift

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk
chippy1970
New Shoots

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 13 Apr 2016, 11:13

Interesting wheeze!
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Rob » 13 Apr 2016, 17:21

I'll tell you what they're invaluable for:

Getting access to your car when you've locked both your 1 year old child AND the keys inside :shock:
Rob
Sapling

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 13 Apr 2016, 17:31

Rob wrote:I'll tell you what they're invaluable for:

Getting access to your car when you've locked both your 1 year old child AND the keys inside :shock:

I'm intrigued as how you could use such a device as a cure for terminal incompetence? :lol:

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Andyp » 13 Apr 2016, 18:14

Now there is a tale that needs more telling :D

I once managed to lock myself in the house with the car running outside on full choke!
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Rob » 15 Apr 2016, 10:14

Andyp wrote:

Now there is a tale that needs more telling :D

I once managed to lock myself in the house with the car running outside on full choke!

On the way to relly's, stopped for coffee at a Spar with baby asleep in car. Locked him and the keys in (cant remember how but related to auto central locking)

After an hour where we couldn't get in and the AA hadn't yet arrived I was literally holding a brick to the rear quarter light because the nipper was awake and about to explode! The AA turned up...aaahhhh.

I was expecting all manner of clever technology but oh no. Out comes the windbag, inserted into the crack of the drivers door and inflates. Enough to prize the door ajar sufficient to poke through a narrow carbon fibre rod on which a hook, fishing style grabs the key ring and bobs yer uncle.

Car doors obviously hinge in one place and have no fixing points top and bottom so have enough play to be bent like that with zero damage.

Life saver.

Terminal incompetence Bob?? So you've never made a mistake then?
Rob
Sapling

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 15 Apr 2016, 10:21

Rob wrote:
Terminal incompetence Bob?? So you've never made a mistake then?

Did I miss out the smiley face then? :lol:

I must admit I've never had a car with auto self locking - almost designed to cause a similar problem at some stage in its life. There might be an option to disable it if you wanted to?
A friend of mine has a car which locks everyone in once it starts moving -- I really don't like that idea either!

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Wizard9999 » 15 Apr 2016, 10:43

Pretty sure a number of cars I have had were made such that you could trigger the central locking by manually locking the drivers door. I know for a fact that resulted in me outside car, keys in car in the past.

I have also managed to lock keys in the boot of cars, the most / least amusing time was when on holiday in France with friends. We hired a big Peugeot 607 (those were the days, working full time in London pre banking crisis, nothing but wine, women and expensive hire cars) and one day were about to head out to the beach. I put some bags in the boot and we were about to set off when I realised I had shut the boot with the keys inside it. Not locked, just shut and all the doors were open. No remote release button inside the car and no sign of any button to open it on the outside (there was a button on the key fob that I had used up until then). Even after a near native French speaker went through every word of the manual in the car we had not worked out where the button to open the boot was. As this was a saloon car the seats did not fold down, but very luckily it did have a ski flap in the back seat, eventually with a torch and a long handled fork from the BBQ one of us managed to fish out the keys.

Some years later I saw somebody opening the boot on a 607, it was the centre of the '0' in the 607 badge on the boot :o .

Terry.
Wizard9999
Old Oak

Postby TrimTheKing » 15 Apr 2016, 10:52

9fingers wrote: ...a car which locks everyone in once it starts moving -- I really don't like that idea either!

Bob

You would had you ever had someone (admittedly a person with mental health issues) open your car door in traffic and try to steal your child from the car seat in the back…

Or had you ever had a drugged up psycho try to open your door to get to you having taken umbrage with being honked when they cut you up at traffic lights, and you're boxed in and can't move anywhere…

I'll take auto locking EVERY day of the week. There are just too many lunatics out there nowadays not to I'm afraid. It's now on my absolute must have list for choosing cars.

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby 9fingers » 15 Apr 2016, 10:53

Wizard9999 wrote:Pretty sure a number of cars I have had were made such that you could trigger the central locking by manually locking the drivers door.

Terry.

My Ford will do that but you need the key to lock it manually from the outside. The same with the boot.
The only conditions under which it will self lock is if the car is unlocked from the locked state and no door or the bonnet is opened within a preset time ~30sec? it will then self lock and reset the alarm.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby 9fingers » 15 Apr 2016, 10:58

TrimTheKing wrote:
9fingers wrote: ...a car which locks everyone in once it starts moving -- I really don't like that idea either!

Bob

You would had you ever had someone (admittedly a person with mental health issues) open your car door in traffic and try to steal your child from the car seat in the back…

Or had you ever had a drugged up psycho try to open your door to get to you having taken umbrage with being honked when they cut you up at traffic lights, and you're boxed in and can't move anywhere…

I'll take auto locking EVERY day of the week. There are just too many lunatics out there nowadays not to I'm afraid. It's now on my absolute must have list for choosing cars.

Cheers
Mark

OK I had not thought of (or experienced) such an eventuality. Could easily be a selectable option I suppose rather like disabling rear electric windows from the drivers console.
On my friends car, there seems no way to switch it off other than pressing a button once you are moving and then it relocks when you take off from the next stop, junction, lights etc.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby TrimTheKing » 15 Apr 2016, 11:03

I've not looked into whether it's selectable to be honest. I'll dig out the manual later and check…

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby TrimTheKing » 15 Apr 2016, 11:11

Just done a quick Google and found this page which explains the reasons for it and why it maybe isn't as big an issue as you might be concerned with Bob.

Also this video suggests it is a user definable option on cars with a 'Highline' steering wheel (one with buttons that control the screen menu) and modifiable by a dealer on models without.

[youtube]1STqbLkhWfo[/youtube]

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby 9fingers » 15 Apr 2016, 11:31

Thanks Mark,

It looks like VW have thought this out better in newer models than my friends car (51 plate Skoda - still VW group though)
Passengers cannot open the doors from the inside once the system is operational.
All fine provided that in the even of a shunt, minor or otherwise, the system does not fail to release.

I guess designs have matured over the years and this Skoda has a very early version.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Wizard9999 » 15 Apr 2016, 11:40

But didn't all cars use to have a catch you could move on the back doors to disable the internal handle, I always called them child looks. So if the concern is about people being able to get out that may already be an issue for anyone with young kids. Maybe that is what this is replacing, the only difference is it does the front passenger doors as well (surely drivers door not an issue as why would they be leaving while the car is running?).

It does then provide the benefits Mark describes, though there must be a higher concentration of psychotic individuals in up north as it has never happened to me either (puts on hard hat and ducks in preparation for the assault from the northern horde ;) )

Terry.
Wizard9999
Old Oak

Postby TrimTheKing » 15 Apr 2016, 11:41

9fingers wrote:...Passengers cannot open the doors from the inside once the system is operational...

Yes they can. A double pull on any internal door handle first unlocks then opens that door, assuming rear child locks not engaged.

"Function : After starting the vehicle and driving off the doors will automatically lock above 5mph. The doors remain locked until an interior door handle is pulled twice or the ignition is switched off and the key removed."

Where did you get that info from?

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby Rob » 15 Apr 2016, 11:54

Actually you did put a smiley Bob so apologies if I came across negative there.

You know the funny thing is that to this day I cant remember how I did it. I remember the car, it was a grand Cherokee and this would have been circa 2005. The keys were on the central consul just behind the auto gear lever. I can only assume that this particular model wasn't fitted with the gizmo that prevented the drivers door from centrally locking when it's open. I must have pressed the key fob central locking and then dropped the keys on the consul by mistake or put them there while I fumbled for my wallet and forgot. But obviously the drivers door must have then been opened and yet it remained locked when shut....this is something all cars either I or the Missus have owned since never do, to prevent exactly this conundrum.

Maybe that feature was a switch somewhere but I don't recall it.

I tell you something though, the AA/RAC have some tricks up their sleeve when things like this happen...happily :-)
Rob
Sapling

Name:

Next

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat