It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 10:54

A Fig

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

A Fig

Postby Rod » 30 Jul 2014, 09:09

A few years ago I planted a fig - lining the hole with paving flags to confine the roots. Despite that it grows alarmingly each year!
Last year it produced about 7 figs which the birds and wasps devoured - the later ones produced where killed off by the frosts.
In the winter I pruned it down, perhaps not properly, as this spring it sprouted only 2. But when they reached a reasonable size I protected them by covering them with plastic bags.
Unfortunately whilst in hospital one blew but I managed to "save" one - sadly I cannot eat it on my current very low fibre diet :(
Lots more little ones appearing but like last year they won't reach maturity before the frosts I think?

Any gardening experts there?

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Re: A Fig

Postby fred » 30 Jul 2014, 10:46

Hi Rod,
We've got a fig tree in our communial garden. I say tree, it's more like a big bloomin bush! It grows very quickly, and our fig triffid has been let go by the previous garden enthusiast (she moved out last year, and i've taken over. I'll take some photo's as soon as the proplapsed disc has healed and I'm more mobile).

I managed to hack it back quite a bit just before spring so I could walk past it without sustaining injuries, and it's already grown back and beyond how it was. I am using the wood from it to make a bird table. I'll make a WIP of that later on in the year.

I've done some googling and asked a friend who's the head arborist for our government's horticultural department. The fig tree is quite a hardy thing, and can be pruned and cut back without worry, it will grow back! However, it's best to do any major pruning in the autumn if you want a healthy grow back and fruit yield next season. Also, watch out for the milky sap (latex), it's toxic and can cause skin irritation.

The fruit needs to be ripened on the tree, it won't ripen on the window sill if picked when it's still green.
Btw, Fig jam is really nice with cheese.

Some useful information on picking and jam making: http://www.pickyourown.org/figjam.htm

Cheers
and have fun
fred
fred
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Rod » 30 Jul 2014, 16:58

Thanks for that Fred - I've bookmarked it for next year - cannot make Jam from a single fig I think? :)
I did prune it last autumn but only two appeared this spring and I'm sure the other ones that sprung out later will not survive.
I will have to research into correct pruning methods?
I picked this one green as it was very soft and the other one had blown!

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby fred » 30 Jul 2014, 17:10

I'm no pruning expert. I just remove with intent.
Best to pop down to your local garden centre and have a chat with someone down there.

And you can make jam from one fig. Just use a very small pan and jar. :D

Cheers
fred
fred
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Andyp » 30 Jul 2014, 19:22

Rod, it is difficult to see the scale from you pic. Is it to big to throw some horticultural fleece over it if a frost is due. We managed to keeps the buds on our Camellia that way.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Rod » 30 Jul 2014, 20:47

Andy it's probably 4m high in a walled corner facing south. And that's after cutting back each autumn.
The plant below is a lemon tree about 1m high which I will bring into the front south facing porch in the winter.
The fig survives the winter apart from all the greenery? It's just the later fruit buds don't have enough time to reach maturity?
Containing the roots was supposed to inhibit growth and make more fruit - somehow I think it's "escaped"?
I've got several other plants that grow like crazy and have to continuously cut them back especially a grape vine and a clematis Montana. Puzzling as there's only about 100mm of topsoil on chalk?

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

A Fig

Postby Rod » 15 Aug 2015, 14:04

Well my Fig produced a few more this year though I didn't time picking very accurately as some were a bit over ripe:

Pound coin for scale.

Firm ones to be cooked with goats cheese and Parma ham.
The over ripe ones already baked in Marsala with honey dribbled on top - delicious with ice cream!

A few more to be picked in a few days though lots of other tiny ones - which from past experience will not form properly before the frosts get them.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat