It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 09:45

On the Move

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

On the Move

Postby Rod » 06 Jun 2016, 11:07

Decided that the weather is nice enough to put the lemon bush/tree outside for the summer.

It had a similar burst of flowers back in December but only 1 and a little 'un fruited - perhaps due to lack of insects? Hopefully it will do better outside?
Unlike other fruit trees, these seem to flower throughout the year?

Also the fig tree is looking good with lots of budding fruits - these ones should develop and ripen - the second flush produced later, never make it before winter.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Re: On the Move

Postby chataigner » 07 Jun 2016, 20:52

My 10yr old lemon went outside around mid may. It has 30 odd lemons in various stages of ripeness and is now covered in flower again. I'm told they resist a degree or two of frost, but I've never dared risk it. It lives in the dining room against the portes fenêtres (cant bring myself to say french windows where I live) during the winter - normally from early nov onwards.

...and, yes, they do flower throughout the year, less well with lower light in the winter, but they try !
Cheers !
Chataigner in Périgord-Limousin National park
http://www.rue-darnet.fr
chataigner
Old Oak

Name: David

Postby Rod » 08 Jun 2016, 10:50

It normally goes outside a lot earlier but this years weather has not been that kind with frost forecasted only a few weeks ago!
The other thing I never knew until I got pricked and bled was that they have nasty sharp thorns!

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

On the Move

Postby TrimTheKing » 07 Sep 2016, 23:58

How's it doing Rod, come inside yet or still out there?

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

On the Move

Postby Rod » 08 Sep 2016, 12:02

It's still outside with about a dozen lemons - they are still green though and a fair way to go.
My fig tree produced a lovely batch of quite large fruits - the sad thing is that they ripen at the same time, so a lot were given away. I did make a compote of some of them which I froze.
They are lovely stuffed with goats cheese, wrapped in Parma ham and baked for about 20mins.

Lemons

Find the figs

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Rod » 03 Oct 2016, 09:07

Lemon still outside and fattening up quite nicely.
They'll come inside once frosts are forecasted.

Second flush of figs won't make it though - the cold weather will finish them off.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat