It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 13:46

Company - "Granparents"

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Company - "Granparents"

Postby Phil » 11 Jun 2016, 12:14

Some company

Sitting in my study this morning doing some catch-up homework, I had some company.

The Crowned Lapwing/Plover was sitting on the other side of the sliding door watching me.
About 3ft away.

After an hour it decided to move off. (I must have been very boring, and there was no food being offered)

Cheers
Phil

Last edited by Phil on 16 Oct 2016, 07:53, edited 1 time in total.
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Re: Company

Postby Mike G » 11 Jun 2016, 13:22

Those lay their eggs directly on the ground, don't they? I stumbled onto a plovers nest in Zambia once....just a pair of eggs on the hard soil.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Phil » 11 Jun 2016, 14:10

Correct. They look for a small indentation in the grass. They prefer short grass, open areas.
Some golf courses place a wire frame around the nest.

When we go walking in the estate and it's breeding season, they will actually dive bomb you if you get too close to the nest.
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

Phil
Old Oak

Postby Mike G » 11 Jun 2016, 16:53

I've also seen that pretend-injury display they do to draw a potential predator away from the nest. The bird flaps around making a noise, dragging a wing out to the side as though it's broken. Flies off just as the fox/ whatever is about to nab it.
Last edited by Mike G on 11 Jun 2016, 19:34, edited 1 time in total.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Rod » 11 Jun 2016, 18:20

The U.K. Lapwing or Peewit behave and nest in a similar way.
Sadly their numbers are diminishing.
In the old days, their eggs were considered good eating.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Phil » 12 Jun 2016, 07:08

Mike G wrote:I've also seen that pretend-injury display they do to draw a potential predator away from the nest. The bird flaps around making a noise, dragging a wing out to the side as though it's broken. Flies off just as the fox/ whatever is about to nab it.

There were 2 yesterday afternoon outside the workshop window doing the wing thing.

Either ther were flirting (not quite the breeding season!) or sizing each other up for a fight maybe.

Cheers
Phil

Phil
Old Oak

Postby Phil » 22 Sep 2016, 07:47

The pair have been very active outside the study sliding door. Wife puts out some crumbs now and again.

Recently they were doing their canoodling thing and on Monday she settled down in the sand and laid 3 eggs.

The site of the nest is not the greatest as it’s on a small island next to the road that the construction people use and residents walk past.

They take turns at sitting on the nest and coming to eat.
Will watch them when at home over weekends.

Cheers
Phil

Phil
Old Oak

Postby Mike G » 22 Sep 2016, 08:03

Couldn't you put some sort of barrier around the area to keep people off it? It sounds like they'll struggle to keep eggs/ chicks safe where they are.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Phil » 22 Sep 2016, 14:52

Mike, if I put anything around it, it will be swiped by 4 o'clock when the builders leave!

Today must have been close to 30c so they will more than likely have very hard cooked eggs!

Phil
Old Oak

Re: Company - "Grandparents"

Postby Phil » 15 Oct 2016, 07:14

Well at approximately 07:50 this morning we became "granparents"!

Two of the eggs have hatched, and the chicks are wobbling around. Will see if I can get a pic later on.

Phil
Old Oak

Postby Mike G » 15 Oct 2016, 08:08

Superb! That sounds like it was against the odds, being in such a vulnerable position.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby RogerS » 15 Oct 2016, 08:37

Excellent news, Phil. Good job that you don't have any 'Spawn of Satan' aka cats around the place.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Andyp » 15 Oct 2016, 10:44

Good news Phil. I hope the chicks learn quickly how to survive in what appears to be a relative hostile environment.

For weeks we watched a pair of woodpeckers feed a fledging chick in a tree in front of our kitchen last year only for the stupid chick to fly into the kitchen window and break it's neck!
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Phil » 16 Oct 2016, 07:56

Mike G wrote:Superb! That sounds like it was against the odds, being in such a vulnerable position.

They just stuck to their nest regardless of the trucks, bakkies, people and dogs going past. they did defend the nest attacking the other birds especially the crow and also people getting too close.

Phil
Old Oak

Postby Phil » 16 Oct 2016, 07:59

RogerS wrote:Excellent news, Phil. Good job that you don't have any 'Spawn of Satan' aka cats around the place.

Roger unfortunately there some cats around. I always chase them away if they come close to our house.
The estate rules say 'no cats', but the rules get bent to accommodate ceretain people.

Phil
Old Oak

Postby Phil » 16 Oct 2016, 08:02

Andyp wrote:Good news Phil. I hope the chicks learn quickly how to survive in what appears to be a relative hostile environment.

For weeks we watched a pair of woodpeckers feed a fledging chick in a tree in front of our kitchen last year only for the stupid chick to fly into the kitchen window and break it's neck!

Andy we hope they will learn quickly. The parents can be very aggresive when protecting the chicks.
We hope they will come past the house again.

Phil
Old Oak

Re: Company - "Granparents"

Postby Phil » 16 Oct 2016, 13:03

Here’s the first born. It was ushered away from the nest, wobbled across the road to the grass by our study.

Two hours later the chicks were being watched by one of the parents who was also keeping a beady eye on the people looking at the chicks.
The other parent was still sitting on the last egg.

This is very close to the study door, you can clearly see the crown.

They took turns at looking after the chicks keeping them close together.

Here they are being sheltered from the sun and heat.
It must have been close to 30c.

We arrived back from lunch about 3pm, the last egg was abandoned and the family had moved off down the side of the house away from the street and people. When I went to water the garden at 6pm they had moved off to – we are not quite sure, but we will keep an eye open.

Cheers
Phil

Phil
Old Oak

Postby RogerS » 16 Oct 2016, 14:36

Fabulous photos, Phil. I'm a bit envious.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Rod » 16 Oct 2016, 23:01

Any areas nearby where there's longer vegetation to give them more cover?
The chicks can run pretty fast but still very vulnerable.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Phil » 17 Oct 2016, 16:25

RogerS wrote:Fabulous photos, Phil. I'm a bit envious.

Roger, we are very chuffed to have the experience.

Rod wrote:Any areas nearby where there's longer vegetation to give them more cover?
The chicks can run pretty fast but still very vulnerable.

Rod

Rod, they prefer very flat areas and short grass. You will find them on the golf course fairway with the nest.
I read that some golf courses have a metal frame which they place around the nest to keep the mowers away and the golfers.

The wife said she saw them late yesterday afternoon further up in the estate, and the chicks are growing.

Cheers
Phil

Phil
Old Oak

Postby Rod » 17 Oct 2016, 18:30

I was thinking of their relatives, Lapwings who were present on a farm I used to help out on. They "nested" in fields regularly grazed by cows but it also contained clumps of Bull Rushes which gave them a bit of cover.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat