It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 15:28

Which 'classic' car to buy ?

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Re: Which 'classic' car to buy ?

Postby 9fingers » 16 Oct 2016, 20:00

RogerS wrote:
Tusses wrote:I rememeber the cossies being stupid to insure !

about the same time, I got my 1st and only ever speeding ticket in a toyota celica :evil:
I had just passed my test ..
My daily was driving a mini ..
a friend said . "you want to drive ? !" :lol: dohh!!!

Don't talk to me about speeding tickets :evil:

:text-+1: I've just been awarded 3 loyalty points on my driver collection card! Grr!

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Andyp » 16 Oct 2016, 20:31

When i tell you that my first car was a 2cv6 you may understand how I managed 37 years without a single point. Then I moved here. I am sure speed perception is different on the wrong side of the road. And after 9 years I still cannot parallel park over my right shoulder :oops:

Edited to correct spelling missteaks :D
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby 9fingers » 16 Oct 2016, 20:35

Andyp wrote:When i tell you that my first car was a 2cv6 you may understand how I managed 37 years without a single point. Then I moved here. I am sure speed perception is different on the wrong side of the road. And after 9 years I still cannot parrellel park over my right shoulder :oops:

or spell "parallel" :text-lol: :text-lol:

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby RogerS » 16 Oct 2016, 20:47

9fingers wrote:
RogerS wrote:
Tusses wrote:I rememeber the cossies being stupid to insure !

about the same time, I got my 1st and only ever speeding ticket in a toyota celica :evil:
I had just passed my test ..
My daily was driving a mini ..
a friend said . "you want to drive ? !" :lol: dohh!!!

Don't talk to me about speeding tickets :evil:

:text-+1: I've just been awarded 3 loyalty points on my driver collection card! Grr!

Bob

Could you not do a Speed Awareness Course ?
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 16 Oct 2016, 20:53

RogerS wrote:
9fingers wrote:

Bob

One was not offered. Maybe not offered on a first offence?
I was doing 38 in a 30 limit on a deserted road around midnight!

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Pinch » 16 Oct 2016, 22:22

It is strange you weren't offered the DAC option Bob. One can only be offered this facility once a year, or this used to be the case. The laws may have changed of course, but first time offenders were always offered the course. I have experience with these things. My driving history is; in 36 years I've been banned from driving 3 times (totalling 4 years and 3 months) and I've been on two Driver Awareness Courses. I've since learnt my lessons and I'm a reformed driver with a clean license.

:text-bravo:
In my previous life, I was a tree.
Pinch
Old Oak

Name: Paul

Postby Rod » 16 Oct 2016, 22:49

That's unusual as it's generally first timers that are offered the course.
I've been very lucky - the last time I was penalised was back in 1967 taking somebody in a rush to catch a train from a wedding.
I was being followed by a Police Mini Cooper. Was fined but cannot remember if they gave you points in those days. I had a white Rover 2000.
A company I worked for insisted on annual eye tests and attendance on a one day Driver Awareness course which mainly concentrated on "reading" the road and other road users and driving accordingly. One part that was particularly hard and exhausting was to give a running commentary whilst driving, about the road ahead, road markings, signs and possible dangers etc etc.
Must have done me some good as I've not had any accidents since those days.
"Only a fool breaks the 2 second rule"

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 16 Oct 2016, 23:22

I hesitate to say how I know this, Rod, but it was a stamp in your little red Driving Licence booklet!

The first Police car I drove was a black Austin Cambridge!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Rod » 16 Oct 2016, 23:26

Oh yes I'd forgotten about them

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Pinch » 16 Oct 2016, 23:39

Malc2098 wrote:I hesitate to say how I know this, Rod, but it was a stamp in your little red Driving Licence booklet!

Cor, that would be worth some money now Malc. What was the last Police car you drove?
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby RogerS » 17 Oct 2016, 07:01

9fingers wrote:
RogerS wrote:
9fingers wrote:

Bob

One was not offered. Maybe not offered on a first offence?
I was doing 38 in a 30 limit on a deserted road around midnight!

Bob

I wonder if different police forces have different criteria ? Wouldn't surprise me. A quick Google shows this criteria for Nottinghamshire

To be eligible you must meet this criteria

you admit to being the driver of the vehicle and this is received by us within 42 days of the date of the offence
you haven't attended a Speed Awareness course within the last three years
the speed you were travelling at the time of the offence must fall within the acceptable speed range (Speed limit + 10% + 9mph). For example, in a 30 mph limit – you could attend a course up to 42mph inclusive.

So on that basis and assuming the other criteria were met, then you should/would have been offered a course.

You specific instance reminds me that I will have to keep my lips firmly buttoned up because as well as attending the course you have to 'pass' it. Which from Googling means sitting there quietly and speaking when you are spoken to.

So me saying that it's not speed per se but the wrong speed for the road and weather conditions and that doing 150 mph down an empty motorway at 4am in Summer is perfectly acceptable might not go down too well.

Or pointing out that the braking distances given in the Highway Code have never been updated and that most modern cars stop in a much shorter distance these days.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Pinch » 17 Oct 2016, 08:12

Yes, the speed bracket has now reminded me and I remember the '42mph' maximum in a 30 to be the eligible figure for the course. The last time I was on the course was about 8 years ago and there was an instance during the course when a car sped by the classroom's window at a ridiculous speed and the whole class laughed out loud. This is where I also learned that a single fatal road accident in the UK cost the tax payer about £1m and this was back in 2008. Within a year of my last course, I accumulated another 6 points in one day travelling from Edinburgh to Liverpool - that was two separate speed gun jobbies on the M74 in Scotland. The Scottish speed traps had a reputation as being pretty hot. I was a trade-plate driver back then, which I did for 6 months and never again. Needless to say, I wasn't offered the Awareness course and I haven't accumulated anything since.

Oh, edit... just reminded me that also, wherever the offence took place is the district you later attend if you are offered the course. EG: If I was caught speeding in Yorkshire and I was offered the course, I would then have to travel up to Yorkshire from Dorset to attend the course. This happened with an Aussie who was caught speeding in Dorset and he later travelled all the way back from Australia to attend the course. He apparently had no choice otherwise he was going to lose his job.
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Tusses » 17 Oct 2016, 09:46

I did the advanced driving (riding) test on a motorbike. .. ohh ! we haven't shown any bikes yet ! .. anyway, after about a years training it was test time , the tester was a bike cop .. to pass the test you basically have to ride like an idiot through the twisties whilst being in perfect control ! well, that's about the best way to describe it.
Yes, you have to do all the "reading the road" bit, but at stupid speeds with the added fun of pot holes, gravel,diesel,leaves, etc.etc. !
If you catch up with a car .. you have to get past , else you are not "making Progress"
lots of fun :D
You are miked up with a 2 way, and get debriefed :shock: afterwards.
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 17 Oct 2016, 10:42

Pinch wrote:
Malc2098 wrote:I hesitate to say how I know this, Rod, but it was a stamp in your little red Driving Licence booklet!

Cor, that would be worth some money now Malc. What was the last Police car you drove?

The last Traffic car I drove was a 24 valve Senator.

The first bike I rode was a Triumph 3TA and the last one was a Honda Pan European.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby RogerS » 17 Oct 2016, 11:08

Malc2098 wrote:
Pinch wrote:

The last Traffic car I drove was a 24 valve Senator.

The first bike I rode was a Triumph 3TA and the last one was a Honda Pan European.

A few days before I was due to take my test, a neighbour - who was a Traffic copper - took me out for an hours' drive. I learnt more from him about driving in that short hour then all the days I spent with my old man.

And the biggest message ? 'Hang back...let things develop'

Shame we don't have more out on the roads in marked cars. Cuts, I guess.

Pinch...these days you can elect to go on a course outside the area where the offence was carried out. Mind you they are a bit draconian with lots of time limits that you have to meet otherwise they kidnap your dog and sell your youngest. Interesting discussions to be had if one went abroad on business for, say three weeks and so missed their missives.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Pinch » 17 Oct 2016, 19:19

I would love an old military bike.

Something like this would be dandy 8-)

Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 17 Oct 2016, 19:21

Or this gorgeous old Triumph.

Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 17 Oct 2016, 19:31

I did an advanced driving course up in Manchester years ago and our last classwork meeting was with a traffic cop. He and his partner patrolled a stretch of the M6 and their biggest issue was debris in the road. He went on to name a huge variety of different objects they would find on a daily basis. They would also drive for as long as possible without using the brakes. This is something I since adopted when driving the motorways and it's proven to be a very safe way of driving the motorways.
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 17 Oct 2016, 20:06

OHHHHHHHH YES!!!!!!

This beauty is the Rusky Dnepr K750 - beeeauuutiful.

I want this one!

Where's Mrs P?

:text-bravo:
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Malc2098 » 17 Oct 2016, 21:31

Pinch wrote:I did an advanced driving course up in Manchester years ago and our last classwork meeting was with a traffic cop. He and his partner patrolled a stretch of the M6 and their biggest issue was debris in the road. He went on to name a huge variety of different objects they would find on a daily basis. They would also drive for as long as possible without using the brakes. This is something I since adopted when driving the motorways and it's proven to be a very safe way of driving the motorways.

Back in the 90's Somewhere near M4 J6, I heard about a parcel van that dropped a couple of cased guitars on their way to a large music shop in the home counties. For the next week, my partner and I combed the hard shoulder and central reserve and I found enough hardware and electronics from the smashed up guitars, 3 of them, that much of the hardware that's on the guitar in my avatar came from the M4!

Another crew used to carry magnets with them on their patrols. Any non-ferrous metals were collected and just before Christmas they'd take their stash to the scrap yard and turn it into cash. You could almost build a car with what you can find on the verges of a motorway!!

Also, the contents of suitcases that had come off roof racks often had to be cleared. That's why I winced a few times when I read the roof rack stories on this forum. And it is no fun crossing a live away carriageway on foot!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby Malc2098 » 17 Oct 2016, 21:36

And while we're talking bikes, how about this one?!

Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby Pinch » 18 Oct 2016, 08:06

It wasn't me Officer - honest! ;)

Gorgeous bike Malc - she looks like a Harley? But our UK force didn't/don't use HD's do they?
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 18 Oct 2016, 08:40

Malc2098 wrote:
Pinch wrote:I did an advanced driving course up in Manchester years ago and our last classwork meeting was with a traffic cop. He and his partner patrolled a stretch of the M6 and their biggest issue was debris in the road. He went on to name a huge variety of different objects they would find on a daily basis. They would also drive for as long as possible without using the brakes. This is something I since adopted when driving the motorways and it's proven to be a very safe way of driving the motorways.

Back in the 90's Somewhere near M4 J6, I heard about a parcel van that dropped a couple of cased guitars on their way to a large music shop in the home counties. For the next week, my partner and I combed the hard shoulder and central reserve and I found enough hardware and electronics from the smashed up guitars, 3 of them, that much of the hardware that's on the guitar in my avatar came from the M4!

Another crew used to carry magnets with them on their patrols. Any non-ferrous metals were collected and just before Christmas they'd take their stash to the scrap yard and turn it into cash. You could almost build a car with what you can find on the verges of a motorway!!

Also, the contents of suitcases that had come off roof racks often had to be cleared. That's why I winced a few times when I read the roof rack stories on this forum. And it is no fun crossing a live away carriageway on foot!

I've heard about you traffic cops having good Christmas bonuses - so that's why 8-)

My brother-in-law is a retired TC who worked the Manchester region and oh boy, some of the stories he's talked about with attending RTA's. Some of his colleagues were on regular counselling due to the trauma of attending these accidents - dead bodies, mangled bodies, body parts etc etc. Horrible! I forget the stats, but the figure is staggering.

I've had a few near misses with debris on the motorways - as we probably all have. Not good during the night hour. I've seen a few lorry tyres blow as well and wow, the mess and noise they make is incredible. I was once overtaking a lorry when a tyre blew and cor blimey... made me jump a bit :shock:

It's a dangerous world out there.
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Tusses » 18 Oct 2016, 11:38

hee hee .. what have I started ! ... Sorry Rog for going sooo off topic :-)

debris ! .. I remember driving down the motorway and seeing on the other side, a roof box lid lift off
with alsorts going all over the place !

Bikes
My 1st propper bike was a Z400
then an american import Kz750
the last was a Zephyr 1100 , that I took my advanced test on.

I think it's sad to say, that even with the advanced driving training, I wouldn't consider a bike for a daily any more :-(
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Phil » 18 Oct 2016, 16:12

My first bike - A 1954 BSA Bantam bored out to 150cc.
2 Stroke engine
The seat had springs underneath

I don't know how it ever passed the roadworthy.

Picture taken about 1969 (had just shaved off the beard)

We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

PreviousNext

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat