It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 22:51

Some facts from South Africa - New Coach!

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Some facts from South Africa - New Coach!

Postby Phil » 26 Oct 2016, 12:50

Seeing that we have a few members from the bottom end of dark Africa, I thought to share some information and facts.
This is a long thread, so will do it in serial form.

First installment.

Educating the world about the beauty of the South African braai

A little something for our non-South African friends to understand the culture of the braai.

By Katy Scott -
November 26, 2015

The South African braai is, quite literally, a feast for the senses. The aroma swirling up from a braai is impossibly intoxicating. The tender succulence of vleis (meat) cooked to perfection is an absolute treat for the taste buds. The chit chat amongst tjommies (friends) leaves a satisfied smile and a warm heart.

A braai is so much more than a meal. It is a celebration.

So what exactly is the fuss all about? Well, a braai isn’t explained, it’s experienced. Even Google won’t help you truly understand it…

“Ons gaan nou braai” translated into English “We will now fry”
Fry? Hmm, not so much.

In South Africa we don’t “Netflix and chill” we “Braai and naai” ……………

Wikipedia offers further insight:

According to everybody’s favourite website: “The word braai (pronounced “bry”, rhyming with the word “cry”; plural braais) is Afrikaans for “barbecue” or “roast” and is a social custom in South Africa, Namibia, Zimbabwe and Zambia.

“It originated with the Afrikaner people, but has since been adopted by South Africans of many ethnic backgrounds.”

A braai is not to be confused with a barbecue

While a barbecue involves chucking hamburger patties on the grill, a braai involves quality meat and expert handling. In fact, the person manning the braai is known as the ‘braai master’, and he or she takes his role extremely seriously.
Calling a braai a barbecue is offensive and discouraged.

Any occasion merits a braai

It doesn’t need to be the perfect summer day for a group of South Africans to host a braai. Any day, any celebration is acceptable. The day you buy your first braai, a housewarming braai, a Sunday afternoon braai, a pre-drinks braai, an after-work braai, a breakfast braai. Seriously, a braai works for every and any occasion.

Any meat goes

Everything is acceptable at a braai. You can never go wrong with some good old boerewors, chops, sosaties and kebabs, but if you want to braai a leg of lamb, an entire chicken, or some spareribs, that’s perfectly normal and acceptable too.

Bring and braai / chop ‘n dop

The name speaks for itself: you bring, and you braai. A bit like a potluck party, everyone brings their own meat (and drinks) and side dishes (salads, potato bakes, potato salads or garlic bread) and then, like one big family, everyone has a taste of everything.

If you’ve still got space following the feast, a braai is often rounded off with a South African dessert like milk tart, malva pudding or peppermint crisp.

Any dop goes with meat, and while beer is most associated with the braai, you often find braai attendees drinking wine, cider, spirits and fizzy drinks. The beauty of the braai is that you get to braai and drink what you please.

Charcoal or wood?

South African braais use wood or briquettes (charcoal). Gas braais are frowned upon. According to Braai365, “It’s about getting the fire going, preparing all the meat that people have brought and then perfecting the sequence and temperature for each one”.

The Saffa Braai vs The English BBQ – Top 5 differences

"So 'braai' is basically the Afrikaans word for BBQ?". Not a chance. Here are my top five reasons the braai tops the BBQ.

By Braai365 -
October 13, 2014

As the summer draws to a close and the clouds start rolling in, I look back at a fantastic summer that’s been. Some new friends made around the fire, and few new recipes to share. I’ve also had the privilege to attend a few English BBQs and it was to meet new people. These BBQs seem to highlight the differences between the BBQ and the Braai.

These are my top five differences:

A braai is an occasion

People come for the braai; it’s the focal point and nothing else matters. The atmosphere of the smoke filling the air, and going home smelling like a campfire makes it all worthwhile.

It’s all about the meat

There wasn’t a decent 28 day aged steak knocking about at a BBQ. It’s mostly about cheap burgers or fatty sausages which normally get cremated on the outside, and are raw on the inside. At a braai it’s all about the meat, and you trust the braai master will get it right, every time.

Rules are rules

Who owns the tongs? What happens when you go to the toilet? Who light’s the fire?

These are simple questions that need to be answered. We get taught pretty early that you never touch another person’s braai, and of course don’t offer suggestions to a braai master unless he asks. He is the braai master; keep quiet and enjoy yourself.

There is a process

It has to happen on wood or charcoal. Time stands still whilst having a braai, and it’s about getting the fire going, preparing all the meat that people have brought and then perfecting the sequence and temperature for each one.

It can happen at any time

What I noticed was that everyone was happy to have their BBQ done for the year, like it’s almost a box to tick. A braai is something that can happen at any time during the year, and is even expected in snow.

In short, a braai is a process and please don’t ever say it’s just BBQ in Afrikaans. It’s far more than just a word!

......................................................................................................................
Last edited by Phil on 27 Nov 2016, 06:29, edited 1 time in total.
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Re: Some facts from South Africa

Postby Andyp » 26 Oct 2016, 13:02

One question Phil. In what we call the queen's english how should one pronounce braai?
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Phil » 26 Oct 2016, 13:11

Andyp wrote:One question Phil. In what we call the queen's english how should one pronounce braai?

Try "Bri" as in bright
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

Phil
Old Oak

Postby Andyp » 26 Oct 2016, 16:04

So the two "a"s are silent?

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Phil » 26 Oct 2016, 16:08

Andyp wrote:So the two "a"s are silent?

No, not in our langauge. In the Queen's English yes, like the silent P in bath.

Phil
Old Oak

Postby Andyp » 26 Oct 2016, 17:32

Thanks Phil, although I did not realise there was a silent P in bath.

Two nuns in a bath, one says
"Where's the soap"
The other replies
"yes it does doesn't it" :D

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Malc2098 » 26 Oct 2016, 19:09

The old ones are the best!!! But it doesn't look as good written down as it sounds spoken, don't you think?!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Mike G » 26 Oct 2016, 20:44

South African braais are a thing of joy and wonder (although the mealie-pap is a little over-rated, in my view). I reckon if you guys keep practising and try really hard, one day soon a braai will be almost as good as an Aussie barbie.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :eusa-whistle:

I usually say that in Afrikaans at parties in SA. It gets the soutie a little attention! :lol:
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Robert » 26 Oct 2016, 23:07

Having barbecued for very many years I don't see the difference.

Not everyone cooks burgers and sausages on a charcoal BBQ. Some of us cook everything from aged steaks to fish to joins of meat without any cremation beyond a tasty charring.

Its a fun post but bordering on insulting those of us that cook properly on a BBQ..

And its usually the chimenea afterwards that sends everyone home smelling like a campfire here :)
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Some facts from South Africa

Postby Rod » 26 Oct 2016, 23:26

+1 Nicely put Robert

I've used all types of BBQ's over the years but regularly use my gas Weber one from about Easter until just about now.
Why gas - because it's convenient and up to heat in a very few minutes.
I don't cook cheap meats or fish but high quality free range meats and fish from a reputable supplier in Cornwall.
I don't like charred food and in fact it's bad for you.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Phil » 27 Oct 2016, 06:10

Robert wrote:
Its a fun post but bordering on insulting those of us that cook properly on a BBQ..

Lighten up Robert, you take life far too seriously.
Would you like me to delete it?

I have a gas braai, so I am regarded as a heritic :)

Cheers
Phil

Phil
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 27 Oct 2016, 07:10

Very good Phil and interesting how the English language has its twists here & there throughout the world.

Some facts from Dorset, South England.

We eats and drinks anything and talks funny. :lol:

:obscene-drinkingcheers:
In my previous life, I was a tree.
Pinch
Old Oak

Name: Paul

Postby Mike G » 27 Oct 2016, 09:21

Phil wrote:
Robert wrote:

Cheers
Phil

No, don't Phil. Let me see if I can explain to the Engelsmen...

Rugby and the braai are just about the only things that hold South Africa together. They are both a national obsession. There isn't a 6 year old white South African who doesn't know how to press gently on a steak to see if it is done, and there will be much clamour if someone were to produce a potjie from, say, a stainless steel pot rather than a cast iron one. Given the awful state of their rugby team at the moment, they're just left with the braai as societal glue. They have justifiable pride in cooking well over an open fire, but there are of course a few who take it all way too seriously. Half the time, South Africans talking about braaing are simply taking the mickey, gently, out of fellow Saffers who over-obsess with this national pass time, or they are talking about something they can all take a little pride in, because they can't talk about rugby or cricket any more. They are always enormously humourous and good natured about this obsession, too, and enjoy having the pee taken out of them about it by foreigners. Telling a Saffer that they can't talk about how much better a braai is than a barbecue is like telling an Englishman he can't talk about the weather.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Phil » 27 Oct 2016, 14:53

Mike G wrote:
Phil wrote:
Robert wrote:

Cheers
Phil

No, don't Phil. Let me see if I can explain to the Engelsmen...

Rugby and the braai are just about the only things that hold South Africa together. They are both a national obsession. There isn't a 6 year old white South African who doesn't know how to press gently on a steak to see if it is done, and there will be much clamour if someone were to produce a potjie from, say, a stainless steel pot rather than a cast iron one. Given the awful state of their rugby team at the moment, they're just left with the braai as societal glue. They have justifiable pride in cooking well over an open fire, but there are of course a few who take it all way too seriously. Half the time, South Africans talking about braaing are simply taking the mickey, gently, out of fellow Saffers who over-obsess with this national pass time, or they are talking about something they can all take a little pride in, because they can't talk about rugby or cricket any more. They are always enormously humourous and good natured about this obsession, too, and enjoy having the pee taken out of them about it by foreigners. Telling a Saffer that they can't talk about how much better a braai is than a barbecue is like telling an Englishman he can't talk about the weather.

Thank you Mike for a good explantion.

What I have found over the years is the difference in sence of humour (or lack thereof) between the Saffas and the Rooinekke.
But at the end of the day we still all get along.

Regarding the rugby and cricket. We have to let other teams win every couple of years, so maybe this year Brexit will show what they can do.

England's last victory against South Africa came in 2006. Since then, England have failed to beat the Boks in 12 attempts, although the two sides did play out a 14-14 draw in 2012.

England and South Africa have contested a total of 37 rugby test matches since their first meeting in 1906. England have won 12 of those matches, whilst South Africa have won 23 matches. There have been 2 drawn matches between the two sides.
:P

Cheers
Phil

Phil
Old Oak

Postby Mike G » 27 Oct 2016, 15:06

Ja ja Phil.........we've just smashed the Aussies 3-0 in Oz. They've just beaten you lot in the Rugby Championship. You're doomed!! ;)
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Phil » 28 Oct 2016, 08:39

Mike G wrote:Ja ja Phil.........we've just smashed the Aussies 3-0 in Oz. They've just beaten you lot in the Rugby Championship. You're doomed!! ;)

Ja nee Mike, we go through bad patches, restructuring and what ever.

However, it is extremely important to note that we are a very considerate caring nation who like to share with our friends, hence losing every so often, so often, so often. :)

Phil
Old Oak

Postby TrimTheKing » 15 Nov 2016, 09:15

Phil

Tell me again about the last time England beat SA...

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Phil » 15 Nov 2016, 14:25

TrimTheKing wrote:Phil

Tell me again about the last time England beat SA...

Cheers
Mark

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :o :o :o

We just cannot manage to play on a wet field, SA is very dry.

The cricket did'nt do too badly in Oz :D :D

Cheers
Phil

Phil
Old Oak

Postby Andyp » 19 Nov 2016, 18:37

What was the weather like in Florence this afternoon ;)

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Mike G » 19 Nov 2016, 18:53

Andyp wrote:What was the weather like in Florence this afternoon ;)

Not fair, Andy. That's kicking a nation when they're down.

South Africa are still playing rugby from the 90's when they could just bully everyone off the park. Now, they can't, and their simple, predictable game and lack of speed or intensity mean that they're very much in the second tier of international teams. I suggest that the only short term answer is a foreign coach with no respect for reputations or provincial pressure.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Andyp » 19 Nov 2016, 20:38

Sorry Mike. When a country that gave to the world all the major team sports have been at the wrong end of ridicule in so many of those sports over the years I see no reason to hold back when given the chance. :D

On the basis that England invented the games I think they ought to be gifted 3 wickets & 100 runs, 2 goals, or 14 points in any international they play in. :D

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Phil » 20 Nov 2016, 06:26

Andyp wrote:What was the weather like in Florence this afternoon ;)

:lol: :lol:

Sunny, hot and dry ........... at least it was only 2 points. :(

Mike G wrote: I suggest that the only short term answer is a foreign coach with no respect for reputations or provincial pressure.

Agree with you, but then politics won't allow it.

Andyp wrote:Sorry Mike. When a country that gave to the world all the major team sports have been at the wrong end of ridicule in so many of those sports over the years I see no reason to hold back when given the chance. :D

Yip, and we do exactly the same. :lol:

Andyp wrote:On the basis that England invented the games I think they ought to be gifted 3 wickets & 100 runs, 2 goals, or 14 points in any international they play in. :D

That's a good idea. ;)
At least they will be ble to win a game every so often 8-)

Phil
Old Oak

Postby Phil » 20 Nov 2016, 06:53

Our coach ....................

Defiant Coetzee won't resign

http://www.msn.com/en-za/sport/more-spo ... ailsignout

Phil
Old Oak

Postby Mike G » 20 Nov 2016, 10:25

So what if he won't resign................sack him. Thing is, do you have any better players, and does anyone domestically play a more rounded game-plan than the national side does? If not, you go from one loser to the next.

It will be an interesting one next week for you, as Wales are a strong physical side but one dimensional, like South Africa, and are certainly on the decline. Just to give you a sense of how things stand in terms of comparative team strength in the 6 Nations, here is the IRB world rankings in order:

England, Ireland, Wales, France, Scotland, Italy.

You've just lost to the 13th ranked team. They're below Georgia, Japan and Fiji. I think Wales' ranking flatters them, and that on current form they should be below France and Scotland. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that the current form would place the teams in the following order:

England, Ireland, Scotland, France, Wales, Italy......with Wales and France being about equal.

So if South Africa don't want to end up ranked about 8th or so in the world, beating Wales should be a priority. Wales, let's remind ourselves, beat Japan by the skin of their teeth yesterday with the last kick of the game.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Phil » 20 Nov 2016, 15:24

Mike G wrote:So what if he won't resign................sack him.

Unfortunately politics plays a big role.

Mike G wrote:
It will be an interesting one next week for you, as Wales are a strong physical side but one dimensional, like South Africa, and are certainly on the decline. Just to give you a sense of how things stand in terms of comparative team strength in the 6 Nations, here is the IRB world rankings in order:

England, Ireland, Wales, France, Scotland, Italy.

You've just lost to the 13th ranked team. They're below Georgia, Japan and Fiji. I think Wales' ranking flatters them, and that on current form they should be below France and Scotland. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that the current form would place the teams in the following order:

England, Ireland, Scotland, France, Wales, Italy......with Wales and France being about equal.

So if South Africa don't want to end up ranked about 8th or so in the world, beating Wales should be a priority. Wales, let's remind ourselves, beat Japan by the skin of their teeth yesterday with the last kick of the game.

Might just be a good thing getting thumped, a wake up call all round, and end up 8th.

Phil
Old Oak

Next

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat