It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 05:42

Bonnie & Clyde (WARNING: Explicit photos!)

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Bonnie & Clyde (WARNING: Explicit photos!)

Postby Pinch » 26 Oct 2016, 19:52

This isn't going to be to everyone's taste and for those who have heard of Bonnie & Clyde in various forms but don't know the history, here's an education.

During the last couple of weekends, I watched a film on the ‘History Channel’ made three years ago about the infamous ‘Bonnie & Clyde’. The film is around 5 hours long and was split into two parts. Considering the violent nature of the film, it probably isn’t to everyone’s preference. I watched it because of the history element and the fame attached to this outrageous duo. I thought the film was superb and I would imagine most of the world has heard of ‘Bonnie & Clyde’, some of it with a romantic notion, but there is "nothing" romantic about it.

Their time together started in 1930 and ended on 24th May 1934. Bonnie Parker was 23 years of age and Clyde Barrow was 24 years of age. At their peak, they were wanted in several states across Central America. They were prolific bank robbers during the Great Depression and they killed 13 innocent people during their two years on the run – another two murders were suspected. Although they were both sick disturbed young people, Bonnie was the big influence on Clyde, and Clyde had the sixth sense. It was Bonnie who wrote about their crimes while on the run and she also sent gloating photos of her and Clyde to the newspapers.

There have been several documentaries and two films (I know of) made over the past years, but this film in particular is highly charged. The closing scene when Bonnie & Clyde were ambushed was very powerful and as the film came to its end, original photos were shown on the screen with written paragraphs about the events. This made me go in search of the photos and I have now found many original photos, including; at the scene of the ambush, the car then-and-now and the dead bodies of Bonnie & Clyde; at the scene and in interval stages after their deaths. Here are my findings below, but be warned, some are a bit graphic.

Firstly, here are just a few of several photos Bonnie sent to the newspapers while they were on the run.

A similar shot from the 2013 film.

This photo is the Six Posse preparing for the ambush on site. They waited all night for Bonnie & Clyde.

Here’s the scene of the ambush at the historic Joplin Hideout 24th May 1934 shortly after they were executed. You can see Bonnie’s body in the passenger seat. There was a heavy machine gun at her side. It was reported that Bonnie or Clyde never fired a single shot at the ambush. It’s also reported that when the firing stopped, the air was a huge haze of gunpowder smoke and the police nervously approached the car with their guns still pointing on target ready to shoot again. One of the police officers said as he leant into the car to retrieve the machine gun from Bonnie’s side, he got “a whiff of Bonnie’s perfume over the sweet smell of blood and gunpowder.”

This picture has been colourised.

Here's Clyde with 28 bullets in him.

Clyde's jacket.

Bonnie & Clyde's weapons found in the car afterwards.

Colourised.

Here’s the car today in a Bonnie & Clyde Museum.

Here are various photos of the bodies just hours after the ambush, including a close-up of Bonnie’s hand shot to pieces.

Bonnie.

Clyde.

Bonnie & Clyde.

This is Bonnie's hand shot to pieces.

And lastly, here is the Ambush Posse led by Texas Ranger Frank Hammer after the ambush.

I’m not into collecting photos of dead criminals, but with watching the film recently and the worldwide fame attached to the duo Bonnie & Clyde, I felt intrigued to see the actual images.

I hope every member of the Six Posse was rewarded a medal and a secured pension for their bravery - they certainly deserved it.

Also in my search, I came across a large stone marking the location of the ambush (I can't find it now) with an inscription about Bonnie & Clyde with the year etc. Someone has painted "God bless them" on this stone.

Bonnie & Clyde were nothing more than a pair of young psychopathic loose cannons who got what they deserved.
In my previous life, I was a tree.
Pinch
Old Oak

Name: Paul

Re: Bonnie & Clyde (WARNING: Explicit photos!)

Postby Phil » 27 Oct 2016, 06:17

Thanks Paul for an interresting post.
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby kirkpoore1 » 27 Oct 2016, 18:05

Interesting. Did the show say how the final ambush was set up, other than good police work? Wikipedia is pretty vague on that, saying that the lead detective had found a pattern in B & C's movements and were due to visit relatives of an accomplice.

By the way, the area they were active in would be more usually referred to as the south central United States, not Central America, since the latter is the name for the group of countries south of Mexico and north of Columbia.

Kirk
kirkpoore1
Old Oak

Name: Kirk

Postby Pinch » 27 Oct 2016, 18:34

Phil wrote:Thanks Paul for an interresting post.

No probs chap. 8-)
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 27 Oct 2016, 19:08

kirkpoore1 wrote:Interesting. Did the show say how the final ambush was set up, other than good police work? Wikipedia is pretty vague on that, saying that the lead detective had found a pattern in B & C's movements and were due to visit relatives of an accomplice.

By the way, the area they were active in would be more usually referred to as the south central United States, not Central America, since the latter is the name for the group of countries south of Mexico and north of Columbia.

Kirk

Cheers Kirk, yes, they were set up by the last ex-gang member Henry Methvin. He and his father (Ivan nicknamed 'Ivy') made a plea deal with the police to help catch B&C. The police was now fully informed when B&C were going to be returning back to their Joplin Hideout. The bait was Ivy's truck parked near the roadside along Sailes Road on route and close to the Hideout. The Posse waited all night and when B&C were in sight (they were apparently really motoring as well - a police spokesman estimated 85mph), they took their positions. B&C's car came to a gradual suspicious halt and it was around 9:15am, the Posse opened fired. Bonnie & Clyde didn't have a chance.

Yep, sorry, south central US indeed. They were Texas born and they worked the neighbouring states and slightly beyond. I think I remember at their peak, they were wanted in 13 states, but I might have that mixed up with something else.

Edit: Kirk, I've just copied & pasted this;

Bonnie and Clyde travelled constantly, throughout Kansas, Missouri, Texas, Oklahoma, New Mexico, Iowa, Illinois, and Arkansas. This site lists the banks robbed in Texas, Arkansas, Iowa and Missouri. They travelled through the central part of the US during the depression.
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 27 Oct 2016, 19:26

Here's the ambush site today.

Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 27 Oct 2016, 20:10

Just stumbled across this.

[youtube]hzNntWE16xo[/youtube]
Pinch
Old Oak

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat