It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 02:37

New Car suggestions

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Re: New Car suggestions

Postby Pinch » 08 Nov 2016, 20:18

Car hunting and researching is very exciting! 8-)

The old houndies like new cars too.

Here's some proof... :lol:

"OI, YOU LOOKING AT ME SON?"

"Yep you're okay, there's nothing behind."

"EH!"

"Watch out for Bertie Basset, he's all ears!"

:text-bravo:
In my previous life, I was a tree.
Pinch
Old Oak

Name: Paul

Postby Phil » 09 Nov 2016, 07:15

My 2 bits ….

I replaced the wife’s 16 year old Corolla (63k Km on the clock) at the beginning of this year.

As this will probably be the last car that I buy in my lifetime, I bought new. :)

Looked at the new Corolla, very expensive, low on features also pathetic sales staff.
Ford Focus, nice but lazy sales staff put me off.

Then looked at VW.
Having owned a Golf and 3 microbuses, felt more comfortable with the make.

We settled on a Polo Sedan 1.6i Auto/Tiptronic, 6 speed box. It came factory fitted with rear PDC, light and water sensors, cruise control, blue tooth phone+, on-board computer, electric windows all round. All I added was smash&grab on the windows and front PDC. 8-)

Cost ZAR264k or about GBP18k including discounts and VAT. The Corolla was not traded in but sold separately. (otherwise they lump the two transactions together and you lose out on either discount or tradein value)

How does it drive? Very comfortable. You sit higher than the Corolla so easier to get in and out.
The 1.6i not an issue. Just flatten the pedal and it changes smoothly down to lowest gear. On a long journey of 700Km down to the coast, an absolute pleasure to drive.
I have not tried the Tiptronic thing yet. Move lever to N and then left into Tiptronic mode.

To answer Bob’s question – lift the bonnet, look at what’s underneath, :shock: and no I certainly would not try any home maintenance. The engine is transverse front wheel drive.
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby Rod » 09 Nov 2016, 14:09

Robert - £30 Road Tax, I think Skoda must be fiddling the emissions too?
Southampton is one of the cities who are considering taxes/bans on diesels.
Bob - are you going to Winchester Motors, I understood they are Skoda dealers but service VWs as well?

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby DaveL » 09 Nov 2016, 14:13

As requested a few pictures.
The when the bonnet is lifted.
The cover is only clipped on and just pulls off.
And a closer look over the back.
Hope these are OK Bob, I can always take a few more if not. Your right about the Ford connection, I understand that's why they stopped making the V50 in 2012, shame as they are very popular cars and the new V40 is no good if you want to shift stuff the boot is very small.
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby Robert » 09 Nov 2016, 15:02

Rod wrote:Robert - £30 Road Tax, I think Skoda must be fiddling the emissions too?

Rod

I don't think so. Mine has one of the new Euro6 (euro some number - it may not be 6) engines and has a Adblue tank as well as a fuel tank. The adblue is fed into the exhaust somehow to neutralise nitrous oxide or whatever it is and bring the emissions right down. The car regularly does soot filter regens too so no need for the regular long fast runs needed by older diesels like my last car. I've never been able to see any black smoke from hard acceleration either so I think it is pretty clean.
Adblue lasts for about 7000 miles before needing a refil.
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby 9fingers » 09 Nov 2016, 16:16

Trying to respond to several posts at once.

Thanks Dave, certainly more roomy than my Ford under the bonnet.

Rod, I was intending to look in at the Winchester dealer certainly nearer for a looksee. However I set a couple of hares running using Carwow on a diesel and a petrol Skoda. The best deals so far (they take a day or so to show up) has been a Skoda dealer over in Botley offering around 11% under list price and still getting 5* reviews for service.

Following up on the Petrol Vs Diesel discussion. I started looking at the petrol Skodas and their biggest petrol engine is 1.4l but somehow they managed to rate it at 150pS power output which is identical to their emission controlled diesel 2.0l.
That sent me over to VW (same parent) so see if their petrol engines were similarly rated but I could not find any petrol Passats. On asking google I found a press release announcing the new Passat about 2 years ago stating that although they did have a range of petrol engines in the range, none of these would be available in UK as the diesels were far more popular.

Robert, Interested in the use of the adblue jollop. What happens when you run out? does the car stop or just throw up a warning to refill and let you drive without it? What does it add to the cost per mile any idea?

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Robert » 09 Nov 2016, 17:45

adblue is monitored so you get a warning when it gets low and can check the range left any time. The engine would refuse to run if you let it run out but you would have to be determined to ignore the prompts.

I think a full refill will be about £25 and a full tank will do about 9k miles so insignificant cost really.

Only criticism I have of my car is it is too powerful. Should have gone for 4 wheel drive to get the power down. Hard acceleration can often kick in the traction control with front wheel drive only.

People on the skoda forum seem to rate the 1.4 petrol engine so may be worth investigating further.

Carwow got nowhere near the broker price I paid for mine btw. Worth looking online to see what brokers offer. Car came from a UK dealer and was normal UK spec just a lot cheaper!
Robert
Old Oak

Postby 9fingers » 09 Nov 2016, 18:10

Robert wrote:adblue is monitored so you get a warning when it gets low and can check the range left any time. The engine would refuse to run if you let it run out but you would have to be determined to ignore the prompts.

I think a full refill will be about £25 and a full tank will do about 9k miles so insignificant cost really.

Only criticism I have of my car is it is too powerful. Should have gone for 4 wheel drive to get the power down. Hard acceleration can often kick in the traction control with front wheel drive only.

People on the skoda forum seem to rate the 1.4 petrol engine so may be worth investigating further.

Carwow got nowhere near the broker price I paid for mine btw. Worth looking online to see what brokers offer. Car came from a UK dealer and was normal UK spec just a lot cheaper!

I've done a bit more digging about the petrol engine. 3 cylinder ultra high pressure injection - as you say seems well thought of.
In the past I've bought nearly new via auctions
I've not come across car brokers before have you any links please?
TIA
Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Robert » 09 Nov 2016, 18:23

https://www.new-car-discount.com/

Is where mine came from. Not sure they still have the discount levels they did have. Mine was around 20% and was a just released model.

Just search google for discounted new cars and you'll find others.
Robert
Old Oak

Postby 9fingers » 15 Nov 2016, 13:54

I just can't bring myself to take the instant £Ks hit on a new motor so this morning I looked at an Audi A4 2 litre diseasal 64plate on the way back from the hospital.

INLINE engine and a spare wheel!!! even looks sensible to work on!

Taking SWMBO back this afternoon to get funds release approval so might be close to a result!

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby RogerS » 15 Nov 2016, 14:02

Why do you prefer diesel, Bob ?
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 15 Nov 2016, 14:07

RogerS wrote:Why do you prefer diesel, Bob ?

Ambivalent really but very few petrol ones available so less choice. When I was considering new VW passats, they did not even offer petrol in UK.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Andyp » 15 Nov 2016, 14:49

Yeah that is true I have a VW CAddy MAxi 1.2 tsi Petrol. When I popped into a VW garage in the UK for some bits the chaps there had never seen one.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby 9fingers » 15 Nov 2016, 16:25

I eventually found it in a press release that it was a deliberate decision to only offer diesels in the uk. I guess the might have to change that if public opinion or taxation changes in uk.

Currently at the dealer whilst they debate obvious crankcase compression/ lack of crankcase ventilation. I'm not buying unless they fix it.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Tusses » 15 Nov 2016, 18:15

yeah but .. they did fudge the diesel emissions ! lol

Personally, I'll stick to old cars whilst I'm fit enough to work on them myself.

I had to replace the front disks on the Golf last year ... £7 each ! :D and 15 minutes a side.

Even the porka .. I plan to rebuild the engine .. you wouldn't even consider it on a new car.

Welding ? .. I wouldn't know what would happen if I dissconected the battery on a new car ! ? would it ever work again !!! :lol:
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerS » 15 Nov 2016, 18:25

Tusses wrote:....
Welding ? .. I wouldn't know what would happen if I dissconected the battery on a new car ! ? would it ever work again !!! :lol:

Your radio wouldn't as you'd have lost the security code :lol:
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Tusses » 15 Nov 2016, 19:15

RogerS wrote:

Radio ? Security code ? .. oh .. do you mean the tape player ? :lol:
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Rod » 15 Nov 2016, 19:26

BMW won't sell the X series in the U.K. with petrol engines but they do in the USA!

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerS » 15 Nov 2016, 22:36

Tusses wrote:
RogerS wrote:

Radio ? Security code ? .. oh .. do you mean the tape player ? :lol:

8-track, I hope / :)
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby tracerman » 16 Nov 2016, 10:47

Regarding radio security codes - years ago when I was between proper jobs , in my wilderness years , I worked in Southampton docks on mostly Renault and Skoda new cars , doing electrical alterations . Someone once commented that you could crack the existing radio code by putting the radio in the freezer. Never tried myself though .
Steve
tracerman
Sapling

Name: Steve

Postby Tusses » 16 Nov 2016, 13:06

tracerman wrote:Regarding radio security codes - years ago when I was between proper jobs , in my wilderness years , I worked in Southampton docks on mostly Renault and Skoda new cars , doing electrical alterations . Someone once commented that you could crack the existing radio code by putting the radio in the freezer. Never tried myself though .
Steve

I remember that .. never tried it either !
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Andyp » 16 Nov 2016, 19:35

9fingers wrote:I eventually found it in a press release that it was a deliberate decision to only offer diesels in the uk. I guess the might have to change that if public opinion or taxation changes in uk.

Currently at the dealer whilst they debate obvious crankcase compression/ lack of crankcase ventilation. I'm not buying unless they fix it.

Bob

So, did they fix it? Oh and what about the impotant details, like what colour is it :D

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby 9fingers » 16 Nov 2016, 20:03

No they did not fix it and continued to maintain that "they all do this"

I went off to see my mate in the motor trade this morning and he mentioned that some engines have a solenoid valve to switch off crankcase ventilation when engine revs are low.This reduces the tick over emissions. I then went off to the local Audi agent and in the parts department found a very nice man who crawled all through the diagrams of that particular engine (from the registration no then to VIN) and we are pretty confident that there is not a solenoid valve and neither is there an inline filter to block.

That car we are pretty sure has been thrashed and the piston rings are deteriorating and causing the problem.

This is the analytical me at work!!

So walking away from this car.

Had lunch with a mate who was extolling the virtues of his Skoda Octavia and I've arrange to test drive one tomorrow. Still from the same stable as the Audi but not so many toys (that I don't need).

The search continues.......

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Andyp » 16 Nov 2016, 22:09

That's a shame Bob, but I have come to expect that level of research from you. Had the twins not come along we would proably still have a Skoda. We had one of the early post VW engined felicias, darn good car and by all accounts they have only got better. Whether they meet your exacting standards is another matter of course. :D
Good luck.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby 9fingers » 16 Nov 2016, 22:22

Just as an aside, I've been comparing insurance quotes for the car I'm seeing tomorrow.

Just me driving with 3 "loyalty points" :lol: £218 per annum xs£250
Add SWMBO with squeaky clean licence as second driver £166 xs £250
Compared to current car renewal coming up soon, £102

All fully comp, NCD protected and from the same company - SAGA

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine