It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 00:11

New Car suggestions

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Re: New Car suggestions

Postby Robert » 17 Nov 2016, 00:13

My previous car was an Octavia estate. had it for 10 years. Air con compressor failed costing me a few hundred but apart from that no problems. I found the seats comfortable but my wife didn't. No complaints with the Superb.
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby 9fingers » 17 Nov 2016, 16:32

Just to close this one off - I've now got a new motor which I will pick up Wednesday coincidentally only my 63rd birthday. 1 year old which is the typical age of my last 3 cars too.

Skoda Octavia 2.0TDI SE L Estate 65 plate 15k miles. Official colour is Cappuccino Beige :shock: but it is a quite nice pale coffee/easy on the cocoa sort of colour. Heaven knows how the marketing people let the word "beige" be used

Thanks for all your help and contributions to the process. Hopefully will not be doing this for another 10 years or more.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Stargazer » 17 Nov 2016, 17:02

Interesting, a Skoda octavia 1.6D Elegance is where we ended up a couple of years ago.....main requirement was the boot space (width and length with the seats down) as we have to transport daughter's concert harp!
Been very pleased with it so far.

SG
Stargazer
New Shoots

Name: Ian

Postby Malc2098 » 17 Nov 2016, 17:05

I'm looking at a Yeti to replace my X Type - Higher seats, less grief on my hips getting in and out!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Tusses » 17 Nov 2016, 17:31

Nice .. I like estates :-)

as useful as vans, but better looking !

what about your USB adapter thingy ? will you be able to port it over ! lol
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 17 Nov 2016, 17:36

Tusses wrote:Nice .. I like estates :-)

as useful as vans, but better looking !

what about your USB adapter thingy ? will you be able to port it over ! lol

Yes and it already has one USB socket which is a start.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Pinch » 17 Nov 2016, 19:36

Good on you Bob! Lovely motor indeed! :)

You'll be looking for excuses to pop out down the road now. 8-)

Mr M: "Oh dam it, I forgot to pick up the thingy! I'll just pop out and get it - won't be long dear!"

Mrs M: "What thingy?"

Mr M: "You know... the thingy thing... you know..."

Mrs M: "Oh yes, that thingy! Okay, but don't be too long."

Mr M: "Okay dear, I'll be 10 mins."

One hour later - you return home...

Mr M: "Alright dear?"

Mrs M: "Yes Bob, I'm fine thank you. Did you get the thingy?"

Mr M: "What thingy?"

:lol:
In my previous life, I was a tree.
Pinch
Old Oak

Name: Paul

Postby Andyp » 17 Nov 2016, 20:57

This little know fact might appeal to you Bob.
On a visit to Skoda's factory in Plzen I was told that Skoda made the cranshaft(s)? for the Queen Mary.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby 9fingers » 17 Nov 2016, 21:17

Andyp wrote:This little know fact might appeal to you Bob.
On a visit to Skoda's factory in Plzen I was told that Skoda made the crankshaft(s)? for the Queen Mary.

I presume this would have been in the days when Skoda cars had a laughable reputation for reliability?
Since they became part of the VW Audi group, their reputation has been transformed.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Andyp » 17 Nov 2016, 21:26

Skoda only went down hill when the soviets got hold of it. Early part of the 20th century they had a reputation for quality far removed from the Skoda jokes of the 70s and 80s.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Rod » 17 Nov 2016, 21:50

You'll probably have more built-in gizmos with this one Bob and not need as many USBs?

X-type to a Yeti that's a big change!

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 17 Nov 2016, 22:08

Rod wrote:You'll probably have more built-in gizmos with this one Bob and not need as many USBs?

Rod

That is possible Rod but I have a lot of custom programming invested in my tomtom so I might still use that instead of the inbuilt sat nav until I can find a way of customising it.
I'll still need to charge my phone so we shall see.
It only has one 12v outlet in the cab compared with two in the cmax. Both cars have one in the loadspace.

Lots of digging to do yet!

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Robert » 17 Nov 2016, 23:16

My Octavia was cappuccino beige and my Superb is the same colour again :)

Chosen because I don't like cleaning cars and the colour doesn't show the dirt :)

Manual or DSG? I've had DSG both times (automatic with manual selection if you want it)

I thought I'd still need the TomTom despite the built in sat nav but I don't. All my custom POI and camera database etc were not too hard to add to the Skoda 'infotainment' system. Speed cameras still bong reminders when not using the sat nav so that is better too.

Check out the Briskoda forum if you haven't already. Loads of help on there. They list free upgrades obtainable by tweaking the VCDS (VAG -Com something or other) settings. You can enable software only extras if you know the codes and have the hardware - like lane assist if you have the traffic signs camera.

And of course if there is anything I can help with I will.

enjoy.

Oh and by the way.. If you have the heated windscreen option it seriously degrades GPS reception so TomTom may struggle to keep a lock on the satellites.
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby Malc2098 » 17 Nov 2016, 23:26

Rod wrote:You'll probably have more built-in gizmos with this one Bob and not need as many USBs?

X-type to a Yeti that's a big change!

Rod

Yes, I know. But not too much of a change if you think about it. The x type was the only car I've ever bought new. That was 8 and a half years ago when I was then in a position to buy one new. I managed to get the last Jaguar Racing Green one left in the country just before an update with a hefty discount from a main dealer. It was my first diesel and I've enjoyed 150k mileage with only two EGR valves going on it, apparently due to my gentle driving! I'm pleased with diesel, with the MPG and the reliability. The only thing that's now an issue is the comfort. What with dodgy hips and back, getting in and out can be uncomfortable as well as the driving position as my own body has started to wear out.

So, a reliable car with a decent consumption was what we are looking for. Mrs Malc also finds it now uncomfortable getting in and out. So we looked around and Skoda were scoring points with family, friends and colleagues. The Yeti has the highest driving position, and they're about to bring out a new one later in 2017, so there will probably be some deals on the current models, just like the Jag.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby 9fingers » 17 Nov 2016, 23:52

Robert wrote:My Octavia was cappuccino beige and my Superb is the same colour again :)

Chosen because I don't like cleaning cars and the colour doesn't show the dirt :)

Manual or DSG? I've had DSG both times (automatic with manual selection if you want it)

I thought I'd still need the TomTom despite the built in sat nav but I don't. All my custom POI and camera database etc were not too hard to add to the Skoda 'infotainment' system. Speed cameras still bong reminders when not using the sat nav so that is better too.

Check out the Briskoda forum if you haven't already. Loads of help on there. They list free upgrades obtainable by tweaking the VCDS (VAG -Com something or other) settings. You can enable software only extras if you know the codes and have the hardware - like lane assist if you have the traffic signs camera.

And of course if there is anything I can help with I will.

enjoy.

Oh and by the way.. If you have the heated windscreen option it seriously degrades GPS reception so TomTom may struggle to keep a lock on the satellites.

Thanks Robert.
I've already found Briskoda and have downloaded the workshop manuals!

This car does not have the heated front screen but my Cmax did and it made no difference to the tomtom

I have an elm327 OBDII interface and trying to find out if it will work with VCDS. The Ross hardware is pretty expensive.

I have all my tomtom files as both OV2 and CSV formats so will have to find how to get them into the inbuilt sat nav format.

On holiday we make great use of taking the tomtom out of the car and setting up routes - such as in the hotel for planning the following day in conjunction with laptop wifi so not sure how we will get on with the new system yet.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Rod » 18 Nov 2016, 01:05

I much prefer the Garmin Sat Nav on my phone to the cars system which I find to be very clunky and slow fixing new destinations if they are not in my contact list. A touch screen is much faster than dialling up letters and numbers.
It also tries to send me via some strange routes so I don't always trust it. The phone one has speed limits, traffic problems, lane photos at junctions, speed cameras, trip planning, google search etc etc. And it updates for free. It links by Bluetooth to the cars speakers.

Malcolm I know the feeling - my wife had a Ford Kuga for a while, which we both liked, so when we downsized to one car ( I had a BMW 5 series Touring) we bought an X3. Not for driving off road but for the "raised" driving experience.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Phil » 18 Nov 2016, 06:39

9fingers wrote:
Skoda Octavia 2.0TDI SE L Estate 65 plate 15k miles.

Bob

Nice one Bob. :eusa-clap:
Wish you lots af happy, safe and trouble free motoring.

Just love an estate. My first company sposored car was a 1978 Peugeot 504 Estate (yellow, was only colour available on short notice)
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby Andyp » 18 Nov 2016, 07:37

I can't imagine the car manufacturers make it easy to plug a portable satnav into the in-car one?

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby RogerS » 18 Nov 2016, 08:48

Andyp wrote:I can't imagine the car manufacturers make it easy to plug a portable satnav into the in-car one?

Well, if they did, I can imagine the following scenario...

Out of the lefthand speaker "In a quarter of a mile turn left''

The out of the righthand speaker "No, go straight on"

"No, left, I tell you"....... :lol:
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Rod » 18 Nov 2016, 12:10

Well Roger that does happen (at times) when I run my phone one and the car one at the same time!! Though they take it in turns to speak

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby tracerman » 18 Nov 2016, 19:37

Coming in a bit late on this thread , but , when I was working on Skoda cars in the early nineties , a Skoda engineer told me that Skoda was always associated with Very heavy engineering in the early 1900s and that during WW2 , the Nazis were more than keen to get hold of the Skoda factories as part of their strategy . Crankshafts for the Queen Mary sounds very plausible .

Steve
PS , Bob I have a Kia Rio 1.5 diesel turbo , goes like excrement off a scraping device , love to feel the turbo come in , love it every time I go out , a couple of years ago had 9 points on my licence , however I too have been tempted to look at a Skoda because I cannot get a Haynes manual for the Kia , I think its a Kia policy so I have to go to a dealer for servicing . I would be interested to hear your comments about how accessible things are on the Octavia .
Steve
tracerman
Sapling

Name: Steve

Postby 9fingers » 18 Nov 2016, 20:56

tracerman wrote:PS , Bob I have a Kia Rio 1.5 diesel turbo , goes like excrement off a scraping device , love to feel the turbo come in , love it every time I go out , a couple of years ago had 9 points on my licence , however I too have been tempted to look at a Skoda because I cannot get a Haynes manual for the Kia , I think its a Kia policy so I have to go to a dealer for servicing . I would be interested to hear your comments about how accessible things are on the Octavia .
Steve

I looked recently at the Haynes website and was quite shocked how few modern manuals they are producing now of any makes so I don't think Kia will be any less available than a modern Ford.

Looking under the bonnet of the Octavia, at least you could see all round the engine and 100% of it is under the bonnet unlike my Cmax.
Service information has been uploaded to the interweb and links exist on the Briskoda forum. I've yet to see how comprehensive it is. The forum seems quit active with technical stuff as well as the usual "pimp my Skoda" threads.

There appears to be some very capable software for diagnostics but the hardware interface costs nearly £300 and buying that gives a license and free updates to the software which runs on a windows platform. It is apparently virtually as capable as the diagnostics available to VAG dealers.
This contrasts to a modest price interface for Ford at £20-£30 and open source software Forscan that I'm used to.
Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby RogerS » 18 Nov 2016, 23:46

"Diagnostics to Bob"....'the retro-weebler techno-turbo is stuffed'.

"Bob to Diagnostics"...."Can I fix it ?"

" Diagnostics to Bob"...."No".

Life is too short IMO. The car is broke. Take it to a garage !
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 19 Nov 2016, 11:29

I guess we will never agree on this subject Roger.
I like to monitor, understand, even track a fault progressing before ultimate failure.
I then want the choice of DIY repair or local mechanic or main dealer based on severity of the problem.

Yes life is short but I find this sort of analysis stimulating and it increases my knowledge and therefore it is something I want to fit into my life.

I believe that in some areas you too like the analysis and finding solutions to problems when I read about your building work, your making items from minimal supplies of a particular timber and your design of jigs for the spindle.
I *think* we are similar in this sense but our interest in cars is different.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Rod » 19 Dec 2016, 16:43

I opened the bonnet of my car to top up the washer system and noticed how clean it was - so clean I had to take a photo of it
But it brought home to me why I don't really want to service my cars anymore - I don't recognise half the bits in it!

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

PreviousNext

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat