It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 12:06

New Car suggestions

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Re: New Car suggestions

Postby Robert » 08 Nov 2016, 00:11

Many years ago I would tackle anything on a car from respray to engine rebuild but I gave that up long ago.

With the electronics built into current vehicles it is near impossible to diy and if you did you would probably void the warranty in any case.

Service intervals are so long now there are not that many services to pay for. My last car came with 2 years free servicing - great... that meant 1 service in that time frame at 18 months.

My new car is coming up to a year old and must have been supplied with fixed interval servicing coded in as it wants an oil change according to the message in the dash. I'll get it switched to variable like the previous car and it will be back to 18 month+ intervals. 10 years of infrequent servicing when the computer said 'now' did the last one no harm.

My Skoda Superb 1.9 Diesel DSG L&K is a slightly cheaper way to get a Passat with lots of toys. Under the bonnet looks a lot like Marks post above. Got the road tax renewal through today - £30 for the year.
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby Rod » 08 Nov 2016, 09:35

I stopped servicing our cars when I started getting company lease cars about 30yrs ago - that was the start of my line of BMWs (3 Series, 5 Series and now X3's) and my wife a series of VW Golfs (which we owned) - the last one being a GTi. For tax reasons, I eventually gave up on the lease arrangements and purchased my own when I bought the first of our 3lt 5 series.
Never had any issues with any of them, even our last 5 Series Touring which we kept for 7 yrs, which I realise is nowhere as long as you keep yours Bob.
The service interval is controlled by the car's internal computer system and when new, the car reported the first service was due in 17000 miles and it counts down with mileage, driving style, conditions etc etc. The first service being an oil change and check over - cars status recorded in the car and in the electronic key(s).
Having read things on the BMW forums, there are a lot of folks who have the electronic readers and service their cars - I should think that applies to other makes too?

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby oaktree11 » 08 Nov 2016, 10:24

Hi all,

I have had BMW's pretty well all my working life and ending up with a 535d which i parted with when i (sort of) retired 18 months ago. I loved them and they were all supremely reliable. My wife not so keen especially as the 535 was close to an M5 in performance terms (but with 45+ mpg).
I had never been tempted by a Mercedes but we wanted a motorhome and i could not countenance a £40k car AND a moho. So, it went. We have a Smart car convertible which we love and use around Cheddar but we do need a big car to carry more stuff and people.
Long story short, i bought a 2005 Mercedes 320 Avantgarde Estate. Huge amount of room, plenty of power, really comfortable, a style that stops me behaving like a 64 year old boy racer and, despite 100k miles, never misses a beat! AND less that £6k....

John
Last edited by oaktree11 on 08 Nov 2016, 10:26, edited 1 time in total.
oaktree11
Seedling

Name: John

Postby oaktree11 » 08 Nov 2016, 10:25

oh yes, and did i mention that you can get an elephant in the back? OK, it would have to be in pieces but still...

J
oaktree11
Seedling

Postby 9fingers » 08 Nov 2016, 10:56

I must admit I'm still tempted by a used car. I've never bought new in my life so perhaps I ought to once before they take my licence away lol

I went through the Audi website yesterday selecting what I thought was a modest combination of options and it came to over £40k :shock:
Whilst I could afford that, I'm not sure I could stand the depreciation as I drove off the forecourt...

I'm very lucky in that we are not hard up but I just can't stand feeling ripped off about anything - it's in the genes I think.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby 9fingers » 08 Nov 2016, 11:05

Rod wrote:
Having read things on the BMW forums, there are a lot of folks who have the electronic readers and service their cars - I should think that applies to other makes too?

Rod

Certainly a good forum for discussing DIY servicing is near essential. Sticking to mainstream/common brands is quite important for this. Usually there are a few maker trained technicians who are willing to help.
I've now got a good software set up for my Ford and can potentially tweak more things than I think I should. It also has some "restore factory setting" buttons should I go too far. :D

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby RogerS » 08 Nov 2016, 11:20

9fingers wrote:.....
I went through the Audi website yesterday selecting what I thought was a modest combination of options and it came to over £40k :shock:

Bob

I'll sell you my Discovery 2 for £25k. A real bargain. :D
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Andyp » 08 Nov 2016, 11:36

Bob, whether or not it is worth buying a new car is how you account for it. How do you put a price on the piece of mind you get with a long, from new, guarantee? Depreciation is also only relevant (kind of) if you sell the car within a few years. If you keep it for 15 years then the depreciation can be spread.
You may be able to use the dealer preregistration scam to work in your favour too, http://www.bbc.com/news/business-37795068

Oh and put a price on the new car smell :D . I know you can get in a bottle but it wont last as long.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby 9fingers » 08 Nov 2016, 11:46

Financially I look at the loss of capital that would otherwise be earning 10-12% pa. any thing back from selling 10-15 years later is little more than beer money.
No interest in "smells" lol

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby RogerS » 08 Nov 2016, 11:59

9fingers wrote:Financially I look at the loss of capital that would otherwise be earning 10-12% pa. any thing back from selling 10-15 years later is little more than beer money.

Bob

Where do you get 10-12% earning pa, Bob?
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Newbie_Neil » 08 Nov 2016, 12:14

RogerS wrote:
9fingers wrote:Financially I look at the loss of capital that would otherwise be earning 10-12% pa. any thing back from selling 10-15 years later is little more than beer money.
No interest in "smells" lol Bob

Where do you get 10-12% earning pa, Bob?

Yes Bob, please do tell.

Neil
Newbie_Neil
New Shoots

Name: Neil

Postby oaktree11 » 08 Nov 2016, 12:56

I tend to agree with Bob. I have never personally bought a new car. I have been fortunate in that they have come with jobs but for our personal cars I have always bought secondhand.
It's got nothing to do with affording it, it's just I see no point in spending money I don't need to.
Reliability of well maintained modern cars is stellar, not even worth worrying about. If you are worried go for a manufacturer approved used. Still huge saving but all the backup.
If you have a business and can lease then fine (personally, for a small business I would still go used, low miles).
At the end of the day it's personal choice - you pays yer money....
John
oaktree11
Seedling

Postby 9fingers » 08 Nov 2016, 14:14

10-12% can be obtained via peer to peer lending. Not without risk and individuals need to be comfortable with doing their own due diligence and choosing what they invest in. It is not for the faint hearted. Gains are of course taxable.

THIS IS NOT A RECOMMENDATION TO INVEST IN P2P - simply answering the question posed in this thread.

CAVEAT EMPTOR!

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Robert » 08 Nov 2016, 14:49

It's a tough choice deciding to lease or purchase. I got an exceptional discount on the purchase price and as I've always bought outright before I went for it. Have to say though that some of the lease/ personal contract hire/ whatever it is called rates were very attractive.

Not sure I'll be buying my next car outright again. When you weigh that initial depreciation against what you pay over the life of the lease and the ease of going to a new car at the end it does make you think.
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby Andyp » 08 Nov 2016, 15:31

Bob

Of course if you are looking at 40k. Darn sure you can get a very good Avensis 1.8 for under 20k. 5 yr warranty. Not sure what toys you want though.

You can't take it with you, nor does the taxman deserve a chunk when you're gone. I understand about keeping enough aside for future eventualities and all that.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby 9fingers » 08 Nov 2016, 15:48

Andyp wrote:

Bob

Of course if you are looking at 40k. Darn sure you can get a very good Avensis 1.8 for under 20k. 5 yr warranty. Not sure what toys you want though.

You can't take it with you, nor does the taxman deserve a chunk when you're gone. I understand about keeping enough aside for future eventualities and all that.

I was not really looking at spending £40k. That was the figure that the Audi website came up with for what I thought was a modest selection of trim options. I can't see I'd get 40k of value out of it when as you suggest half that amount would secure highly acceptable performance and reliability.

I went to a VW dealer this morning and once I had got through to him that I did not want to sit inside and all he had to do was pop the bonnet and let me look, we got on OK. He was a bit grumpy that I would not give him any contact details though. I think I upset him by parking my car in a convenient gap in the ranks of cars for sale. :lol: Totally untrained for engineering questions though but at least he admitted it.
Shame he did not have any 2.0 Passats to look at. 2.0 Tiguan engine bay looked a darn sight better than my Ford for access though. The Sharan was half way between the two for working room. Next visit planned to VW/Skoda combined dealer in Winchester where I will compare the two badges for nearly the same running gear.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Andyp » 08 Nov 2016, 15:58

You are sticking with diesel then Bob? Are there more tax hikes and congestion charges on the way for the more pollution of the combustion engines.?

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby RogerS » 08 Nov 2016, 16:06

Andyp wrote:You are sticking with diesel then Bob? Are there more tax hikes and congestion charges on the way for the more pollution of the combustion engines.?

Good question. The writing is on the wall most definitely for diesel.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Andyp » 08 Nov 2016, 16:16

The existing co2 emission measurement must soon be on its way out. I would not be surprised if there was an emissions standard based on particulates on the horizon.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby RogerS » 08 Nov 2016, 16:31

Ban diesel cars in London thinktank urges. Bit daft considering the number of belching buses and taxis there are!

Plus many cities are either going to or are talking about a pollution charge for diesel cars. Of course, it may not apply to very very modern diesels but I'll not get another diesel - that's for certain.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 08 Nov 2016, 17:05

Ive mixed feelings on the Diesel petrol question. The trucks will still have to belch it out and cars have much more sophisticated systems.
They might fiddle with the taxes but it will take quite a change to impact on the cost permile.
At the VW dealer today all they had were used diesels in my vehicle range - maybe this reflects them falling out of favour.
I can forsee serious public uproar if cities are going to ban Diesel cars.
With luck the guvmint will be so busy arguing Brexit for the new few years that a little bit of pollution will pale into insigificance.
The "drive" may well be coming from the EU I don't know in which case 2 fingers to them. How will France manage as they seem to have huge numbers of Diesels on the road there?

At one time Diesel cars were simple and generally the prmse was that if you can get fuel into them they would run for ever. Now it is nothong like as simple with diesel engines having as many if not more sensors on them and related electronics compared to petrol.
In fact a petrol electric hybrid would fulfill most of our needs but the prices are still daft and battery life/cost still to be fully understood.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby RogerS » 08 Nov 2016, 17:17

9fingers wrote:.....
They might fiddle with the taxes but it will take quite a change to impact on the cost permile.

That depends on your journey. If you commute each day into, say, Bristol - one of the cities planning to introduce a pollution charge aimed at diesel cars - then that would push up the prices. £10 a day - that's £50 a week. Quite likely that they won't ban them outright although to answer your later question, the Mayor of Paris wants to ban diesel cars by 2020.

It is the fact that many cities are failing to meet EU air standards due to particulates that is driving this.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 08 Nov 2016, 17:21

RogerS wrote:
It is the fact that many cities are failing to meet EU air standards due to particulates that is driving this.

So unless we decide to impose an EU like air standard which would be OUR choice, then UK should not have to worry then? :lol:

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby oaktree11 » 08 Nov 2016, 17:29

Don't even start me on untrained sales staff.... :oops:
oaktree11
Seedling

Postby 9fingers » 08 Nov 2016, 17:35

oaktree11 wrote:Don't even start me on untrained sales staff.... :oops:

To be honest I only wanted to look under the bonnet of a few candidate motors at this stage. I'll possibly resolve my tech questions on a mixture of forums and I usually buy the relevant Haynes manual before I get the car. The car retailers are not really geared up for oddballs like me :lol:

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

PreviousNext

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat