It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 06:17

Just not made to last .....

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Just not made to last .....

Postby 9fingers » 27 Nov 2016, 14:46

Or maybe pretty damn good considering.....

Our Creda tumble dryer has not been performing as well as it used to. Longer drying times and sometime not as dry as we would expect despite poking out various bit of fluff etc.

Yesterday I stuck the power meter on it and it read about 1250 watts running and heating and 150 watts on the cooling cycle.

Hmm!

I diagnosed about half the heating power compare with what it should be and sure enough this morning off with its back to find one of the two elements broken.

Looking for the model number I also did a guess at decoding the serial number and its date of manufacture is possibly May 1986 and thinking back sort of fits in with when I built the utility room.

Maybe 30 years life for an element is not too bad eh?

Replacements - no problem on ebay parts shop £21 inc delivery. It will be here Wednesday before the next load of washing at the weekend. The element is rated at 2.2kW so even the sums worked out!

A quick sweep out of more dust, a drop of oil on the drum bearing and we should be good enough for another 30 years maybe?

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Re: Just not made to last .....

Postby Malc2098 » 27 Nov 2016, 15:07

Result!! Mine lasted about 30 years, too!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Re: Just not made to last .....

Postby Tusses » 27 Nov 2016, 16:13

Our washer packed up this week .. our spare brushes will arrive on Wed's too :-)

I replaced them already, so will have to check the commutator for smootheness when I do it.
either way, we need to wash our clothes .. so the brushes will go in anyway .. and any problems will be sorted later. They're only £7 a pair, so if they get through winter I'll be happy.

The pump is a bit "rattley" too .. so I'll have a look at that whilst the back is off.

hmm .. that reminds me .. I need to fix the christmas tree lights too .. one of the wires came out of a bulb holder. .. it's the 12v x 20 bulb, series type (old school).
I guess worse case, I'll 'miss out' a bulb, if I can't get inside the holder to solder it. it will make the others run at 12.6v, so should be ok, till I get another bulb holder.
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat