It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 21:36

Christmas

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Christmas

Postby Rod » 01 Dec 2016, 17:20

Ah well, 1st December today and had my first Christmas Lunch, though I didn't chose turkey.
I seem to have one lined up for every week leading up to the big one!
Most to meet up with old friends and colleagues.
Will have to start present buying soon which I hate - that, Christmas Cards and digging out the trimmings!!
Must be getting old?

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Re: Christmas

Postby Mike G » 01 Dec 2016, 17:39

Rod wrote:.........Must be getting old.....

The alternative isn't very appealing.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Andyp » 01 Dec 2016, 18:24

Put the lights up in the garden today and a set on the front of the house too. Lights, trees, decorating the house, cards, meeting up with friends and family, food etc I like. It is the present thing that is beginning to bug me. Not the expense but just the ideas are a problem. Making a few things on the lathe but they only go so far.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Robert » 02 Dec 2016, 10:24

My problem is being asked 'what do you want for Christmas?' and not having answers. Have to be things easy to buy and the right sort or price range. If I wanted things that fit that description I've generally already bought them.
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby Tusses » 02 Dec 2016, 10:32

Robert wrote: If I wanted things that fit that description I've generally already bought them.

me too ! :lol: I am bah humbug when it comes to christmas !
I buy what I need .. and I get grumpy if I get some useless waste of money thing, as a present !
Just call me Victor ! :D

I make christmas dec's all year round, so christmas for me , is when people aren't ordering !
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerS » 02 Dec 2016, 11:33

Luckily for me at Christmas there is just me and the missus to consider. No hordes of relations to go and see. No hordes of relations descending on us. We buy presents for each other and for our respective mothers. That's it. But I agree. It's so difficult buying a surprise present for the missus.

We've embargoed buying loads of sweet stuff this year. Christmas Day, LOML will go down to cook her mother lunch. I will go and have a liquid lunch down the pub. Job done. Boxing Day is when we 'celebrate' Christmas.

Having said all that this year has been slightly different already in that I finally got off my backside and went to the BBC TelOB reunion down at Old Deer Park, Kew. I'd booked myself into a small B&B within staggering (literally and metaphorically) from the venue. Just as well as I imbibed seriously. Can't remember how many pints and I'm not talking two or three. It was a great opportunity to meet up with guys I used to work with over 40 years ago and reminisce (we seemed to get up to quite a lot of mischief then, if truth be told). Best job I ever had. Some of the guys, you recognised the name but the face had changed a lot and others you could see the facial characteristics still coming through after all those years. But the one characteristic then never seems to change is the voice. Quite funny...meet someone there..you vaguely recognise the name but if you never worked with them on a unit then there are no sort of 'anchors' to lodge memories on. But as they carry on talking, that's when the old grey cells start to kick in and gradually you remember more and more. And you think to yourself 'My God...now I remember you. You were a boring old fart then and you're still a boring old fart now'. :lol:

And the cherry on the cake was walking past Kew Gardens seeing an exhibition of Japanese flora paintings and thinking to myself..."There's a birthday present there somewhere for the missus (in May..nothing like forward planning" and so there was. Result !!
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Tusses » 02 Dec 2016, 11:46

for Wifey .. I usually make something.

nice and pretty .. but totally useless ! :lol:
Most get kept , if not used.

the most used ones are a set of coasters I made, with her fav' drinks on them
"Wifey's Milk"/"Chock"/"Tea"/"Pepsi" etc. with fancy scroll work

much too easy with the laser cutter ! .. so "be rude not to"
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 03 Dec 2016, 00:25

Amazon Wish Lists are the way to do presents. I add to mine all through the year so I never get surprises and end up with stuff I actually need...like more tools :mrgreen: - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Rod » 03 Dec 2016, 01:09

Next week is my old office Christmas Lunch which has been held in the same restaurant for the last 26yrs.
Mix of current and retired staff though the numbers from my period are beginning to dwindle year by year.
Nice to catch up with old colleagues over a nice meal.
Already been to a school Christmas concert with another next week with mince pies and mulled wine. And we are due for a Carol Service at Romsey Abbey in a couple of weeks where one of our Granddaughters is singing.
Christmas proper starts with a family get together on Christmas Eve, Christmas Day with immediate family (12 of us) and then a family Boxing Day - taken a bit more leisurely. We've still got some young kids in the family (2, 9 & 12) so they make it even more "Christmasy"!

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat