It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 06:45

Serious Woodwork!

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Serious Woodwork!

Postby Malc2098 » 05 Dec 2016, 19:29

Mrs Malc and I just spent a long weekend in Chester with her No1 son, D-i-L and the the grandchildren.

As Sunday was wall to wall sunshine, although a bit brisk, we went out for the day and visited Arley Hall. Nice gardens, lovely house and chapel, adventure playground for the kiddies and this - The Cruck Barn. It was housing a Christmas Tree decorating competition for local schools, but it's construction took my breath away. Not a nail, screw or bolt used.

Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Re: Serious Woodwork!

Postby Pinch » 05 Dec 2016, 20:03

Very nice Malc! A long weekend away is so very good and Chester is such a lovely place to visit. Mrs P is from Chester. I've been there a few times. Stacks of history and gorgeous buildings. 8-)

One area of woodwork that used to really appeal to me was green oak framework. I've done a little bit of it and it's very satisfying. There's a very special feeling when stood in an old oak framed building. Truly magnificent. 8-)
In my previous life, I was a tree.
Pinch
Old Oak

Name: Paul

Postby Andyp » 05 Dec 2016, 21:06

Chester is indeed one very nice town. I remember the 1st floor galleried shops in the town centre, tudor stylee.

Nice barn shot too. I have quite a few photos of exposed timber rooves.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Phil » 06 Dec 2016, 07:05

Thanks for posting.

I always go and Google to see where these places are in the UK. Lots of sites have excellent pics, especially inside.

Looking through the Arley Hall pics, there is one of the library with what looks like some very nice carving.

https://www.google.co.za/maps/place/Arl ... 46!6m1!1e1

Cheers
Phil
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby TrimTheKing » 06 Dec 2016, 07:54

Lovely place that is Malc, and literally less than a 2 minute drive from my house… ;)

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby RogerS » 06 Dec 2016, 09:26

That's very atmospheric and magical, Malcolm.

Did anyone catch this location that featured in the current (and rather) excellent Poliakoff - 'Close to the Enemy' ? Part of the Chatham Historic Dockyard Trust. No. 3 Slip. I've not been there yet but looks to be a fascinating place.

http://thedockyard.co.uk/explore/3-slip-big-space/
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Rod » 06 Dec 2016, 11:42

Yes Roger I thought it was that and like you have never been - see a few programs about it though on TV.

I've watched a few old "Time Team" programs lately and they made a Cruck Arch on one of them having located a bent tree. Lots of hard work.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 06 Dec 2016, 13:37

Phil, You're welcome. I had a sit down in the library on that chair on the left, to rest my back, and it's great. Each of the groups of the shelves are sorted alphabetically and the letter is carved into the frieze.

Roger, that's just showing off! :)

Mark, Dash it! But you'd have had six of us including 2 x ankle biters!

Andy, yes. I really like the city. Missing the bombing in WW2 means that much of the architecture has been preserved.

Paul. Chester people are really nice. Can't understand a word they're saying, tho! ;)
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat