It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:41

I should have gone to work today, or...

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Re: I should have and gone to work today, or...

Postby MartinF » 08 Dec 2016, 00:23

Andy

To answer your question, the OM bins are all "chipped". The bins are weighed as they are emptied and the weight is obviously recorded along with the PIN number. When we get our half yearly bill for the bins, it tells us how much weight we've been charged for. The local dechetterie is quite good though as there are numerous bins for all sorts of items and we try if we can to dispose of heavier stuff in the "Tout venant" skip rather than in our bin at the house.

Here in Bristol, we have a bin extravaganza. Black wheely bin for general rubbish, green wheely bin for garden waste (this costs extra), green box for recyclables such as tetra-paks, oil, batteries and plastics, black box for glass and paper and a brown bin for food waste; cardboard is just left beside the boxes. And woe betide you if you put something in the wrong bin or box, it doesn't get emptied.
MartinF
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Jimmy Mack » 08 Dec 2016, 00:28

As I type I only have one sock on...I don't think there's anything unusual about this

Sent from my HTC 0P6B900 using Tapatalk
Jimmy Mack
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Tusses » 08 Dec 2016, 00:38

Jimmy Mack wrote:As I type I only have one sock on...I don't think there's anything unusual about this

"Spook"
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Halo Jones » 08 Dec 2016, 00:58

A neighbour of mine died about 20 years ago from Weil's disease. It's been at the forefront of the mind of everyone in the village ever since. Fit and well one day.........dead 2 days later.

Bloomin 'eck. Did it not give you cause for concern given the million and one rats nests found in your house :?
Halo Jones
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Mike G » 08 Dec 2016, 08:27

Halo Jones wrote:
A neighbour of mine died about 20 years ago from Weil's disease. It's been at the forefront of the mind of everyone in the village ever since. Fit and well one day.........dead 2 days later.

Bloomin 'eck. Did it not give you cause for concern given the million and one rats nests found in your house :?

Yes, absolutely. If I (or my wife) get any sort of fever I will immediately insist on a blood test. There are no rats in the house now, and all their detritus is gone, but we must have had a dozen or 15 move into the garden straight after harvest, although they seem to have gone in the last few weeks. As an aside, they did bring on the wildlife highlight of the year, with a kestrel taking 3 in 4 days in our garden, just yards from our kitchen window. They were too big for the kestrel to carry, so it had to eat them there where it killed them. Fascinating.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 08 Dec 2016, 09:19

Mike G wrote:[...a kestrel taking 3 in 4 days in our garden, just yards from our kitchen window. They were too big for the kestrel to carry, so it had to eat them there where it killed them. Fascinating.

I had the same two or 3 years ago in February when it rained constantly for about a month. Drove them out of the sewers and into my garden.

I came face to face with one that must have been 14" long from nose to ass with a tail of similar length when I opened the cover to the pond pump chamber. It was just staring up at me, we both froze for what felt like 30 seconds but was probably 2, before it dove into the pond and swam away.

Over the following week I found 7 carcasses stripped to the bone lying around the garden. Then one day I was working at home and saw a dead one (number 8) outside the patio doors which I think must have been caught by the cat (we had a Maine Coon which was approximately 2' long nose to butt and weighed almost 2 stone. Was a magnificent ratter!).

2 crows were pecking away at it and trying to drag it but only moving it a few mm at a time then they startled and scarpered. Down swooped a red kite and took control. I was on a very boring work conference call at the time and moved a chair to by the window and spent the whole hour with brew in hand and phone on speaker, just watching the kite go about demolishing the rat.

Nature is fabulous.

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Rod » 08 Dec 2016, 11:55

I get the odd rat attracted by the bird feeder - my .22 Air Rifle and a cage trap generally puts paid to them.
Cannot stop Wood mice getting into my shop (garage) despite blocking up every likely gap etc. Poison and traps deal with them - the poison is really to tell me if the lighters are inside.
The local Sparrow Hawk has been busy but sadly the feathers left on the lawn looked like they came from a Blue Tit

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerS » 08 Dec 2016, 14:05

Tusses wrote:....
I guess country doc's know more to recognize these things than city ones ?

I wouldn't bet on it.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Pinch » 08 Dec 2016, 19:48

Jimmy Mack wrote:As I type I only have one sock on...I don't think there's anything unusual about this

:lol: :lol: :lol:

:text-bravo:
In my previous life, I was a tree.
Pinch
Old Oak

Name: Paul

Re: I should have gone to work today, or...

Postby Andyp » 08 Dec 2016, 21:14

An obsolete beauty of a Siamese cat across the road from us used to get all the mice around here, and shrews, moles, voles. Never seen a rat here.
Then she found a mouse that had been poisoned and that did for her too. A great shame.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Re: I should have gone to work today, or...

Postby Pinch » 08 Dec 2016, 21:59

What you need are these two little chaps.

Colin my 'ansome boy as a pup and then a grown up. He's the sensitive one, but he still like his toys. Love him to bits I do 8-)

But this little devil, Millie, is the ultimate ratter - Mrs P's little darling grrrrrr... :|

Not much escapes our garden.
In my previous life, I was a tree.
Pinch
Old Oak

Name: Paul

Previous

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat