It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 15:09

Moving house - please critique my plan

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Moving house - please critique my plan

Postby RogerS » 08 Dec 2016, 13:40

We're on the move after some 20+ years. The actual date is Jan 31st which is a Tuesday and we're moving from sunny Worcs to even sunnier Northumberland.

So totally out of touch with practicalities. Just the two of us. No pets. Not that much indoors TBH. The main headache is what's outside. LOML's garden and the workshop. Seems to me that it will take at least two days to load up. Most of LOML's garden will be crated up and sitting in a very large polytunnel. Most of the workshop will be packed up in various boxes. So my thoughts are....

Day One (Thursday before) ...pack up plants and workshop content. Garden furniture. Scaffold towers etc. Everything outside.

Then after the removal men have gone, dismantle the polytunnel. Dismantle shelving, benches, storage units in the workshop ready for ....

Day Two. (Friday) Pack up polytunnel kit, rest of workshop stuff and the house.

The other conundrum is getting the wee beastie aka Honda S2000 up there. SWMBO, understandably, is not too keen on driving it up the M6. I've looked into trailering it up but getting quotes in the region of £600-£700. Plus there is the logistics of handing the car over as if we hand it over too early, no-one will be up there to take delivery. But equally if we've packed the house up on the Friday, we need to hand it over to them but then that means they are storing it etc.

So my cunning plan is that we go and stay somewhere for the weekend. Monday I drive up and book myself into a pub, ready to greet the removal men when they arrive Tuesday. I then get the house shipshape, clean it etc over the following few days while LOML ambles her way up A roads and B roads, stopping as and when.

That's the plan, at any rate.

Comments very welcome.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Re: Moving house - please critique my plan

Postby Malc2098 » 08 Dec 2016, 14:16

Sounds like a plan!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Andyp » 08 Dec 2016, 16:38

Are your removal men packing stuff on on the Thursday & Friday to put into storage until the Tuesday when they take it up north? Or is it being left in a container/lorry until the Tuesday?

My experience of the former was not good one. The stuff they packed on day one was left in a different place in their storage yard to the stuff they packed on day two. Come moving day (several weeks later) they only bought the stuff that was packed on day one!

I also packed the workshop myself and drove that lorry.

Your plan looks good on paper. I hope it goes well for you.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby RogerS » 08 Dec 2016, 17:25

Andyp wrote:Are your removal men packing stuff on on the Thursday & Friday to put into storage until the Tuesday when they take it up north? Or is it being left in a container/lorry until the Tuesday?

Quite possibly. I really have no idea. Obviously need to speak to them as there may/will be cost implications. Somehow I can't see it all being done on Monday and Tuesday morning (up until 2pm).

I do like the idea of them packing.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 08 Dec 2016, 17:37

Apart form the first, I've always had the removal company do the packing in all the others since. It removes so much pressure and worth the cost.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Pinch » 08 Dec 2016, 17:50

Northumberland? :shock:

Mrs P goes up there a lot to see her daughter and newly born granddaughter. I'm still yet to go up there with her - I don't like flying. :|

Right then Roger, your moving house plan mate... sorry, I think you've got it all wrong. The only bit which makes sense is booking yourself into a pub.

Here's the plan I think you should adopt, as follows;

Day 1 (25.01.17) - Book yourself into a cosy country pub near to your new house.
Day 2 (26.01.17) - Arrange with Mrs S to drop you off and although it's hard, you must allow her return to Worcs to start the packing programme.
Day 3 (27.01.17) - Enjoy the fine ales, food and pampering.
Day 4 (28.01.17) - Enjoy the fine ales, food and pampering.
Day 5 (29.01.17) - Enjoy the fine ales, food and pampering.
At this stage, a small token of love will probably go a long way - a quick phone call to Mrs S to check on progress will earn you some brownie points. It always works for me.
Day 6 (30.01.17) - Enjoy the fine ales, food and pampering.
Day 7 (31.01.17) - Enjoy the fine ales, food and pampering.
Day 8 (01.02.17) - Await carriage for Mrs S to collect you from the cosy country pub and drive you to your new home.

Happy days. 8-)
In my previous life, I was a tree.
Pinch
Old Oak

Name: Paul

Postby Commander » 10 Dec 2016, 04:53

Pinch wrote:Northumberland? :shock:

Mrs P goes up there a lot to see her daughter and newly born granddaughter. I'm still yet to go up there with her - I don't like flying. :|

Right then Roger, your moving house plan mate... sorry, I think you've got it all wrong. The only bit which makes sense is booking yourself into a pub.

Here's the plan I think you should adopt, as follows;

Day 1 (25.01.17) - Book yourself into a cosy country pub near to your new house.
Day 2 (26.01.17) - Arrange with Mrs S to drop you off and although it's hard, you must allow her return to Worcs to start the packing programme.
Day 3 (27.01.17) - Enjoy the fine ales, food and pampering.
Day 4 (28.01.17) - Enjoy the fine ales, food and pampering.
Day 5 (29.01.17) - Enjoy the fine ales, food and pampering.
At this stage, a small token of love will probably go a long way - a quick phone call to Mrs S to check on progress will earn you some brownie points. It always works for me.
Day 6 (30.01.17) - Enjoy the fine ales, food and pampering.
Day 7 (31.01.17) - Enjoy the fine ales, food and pampering.
Day 8 (01.02.17) - Await carriage for Mrs S to collect you from the cosy country pub and drive you to your new home.

Happy days. 8-)

Paul, that sounds like just the ticket! :lol:

Roger, unfortunately I don't have anything to add, except to say good luck, it sounds like a massive undertaking.
Commander
Sapling

Name: Erich

Postby Tusses » 12 Dec 2016, 08:54

I've never moved house that far .. but I have with cars ...

I have an A-Frame.

Do you still have the Landy ?
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerS » 12 Dec 2016, 11:20

Tusses wrote:I've never moved house that far .. but I have with cars ...

I have an A-Frame.

Do you still have the Landy ?

Yes I do. I looked into those - eye watering price, I thought.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Tusses » 12 Dec 2016, 11:57

think mine was about £150 .. much less than your £6-700 .. and then you have it forever .. new tool 8-)

Got mine of ebay, I'll have a look ...
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Tusses » 12 Dec 2016, 12:09

just a quick search .. not a reccomendation for any of them ! :-)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from= ... e&_sacat=0
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Postby chataigner » 12 Dec 2016, 12:09

From recent experience : essential you pack/load etc the workshop yourself, removal chaps simply have no idea as to what's fragile, what's sharp etc.
Pay someone to drive the Honda up for you. With a bit of logistical juggling he could return with the removal van.
Bon courage !!!
Cheers !
Chataigner in Périgord-Limousin National park
http://www.rue-darnet.fr
chataigner
Old Oak

Name: David

Postby Tusses » 12 Dec 2016, 12:13

oh , and if you get an A-frame .. keep some weight over the rear wheels of the towing vee-hikkal !
Els in the wet/frost/snow/ .. cornering will be exiting ! :shock: :lol:
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerS » 12 Dec 2016, 19:06

Mmmm..not too happy with the fixing points for the Honda . I remember reading some tales of woe when I was researching. Think I will stick to Plan A and let LOML meander her way up thus leaving me to get the house a bit straight for her.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Phil » 13 Dec 2016, 06:36

chataigner wrote:From recent experience : essential you pack/load etc the workshop yourself, removal chaps simply have no idea as to what's fragile, what's sharp etc.

When we moved last year, the removal company packed everything, including the workshop over two days. (workshop under my supervision)

They loaded the third day, truck stood overnight at their depot, and delivered the fourth day

They hand wrapped about 40+ bottles containing the screws, nuts, bolts and nails
I disassembled all the machines and wrapped, bubble wrap, and packed fragile stuff into sturdy boxes. All boxes clearly labelled.
The big metal bench with all the drawers was moved just like that. Took four labourers using slings to lift and move.

I moved all the timber myself.

Roger, you will just be in the way of the removal people, so leave on the Saturday morning and book into the local pub near the new house. 8-)
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby Tusses » 13 Dec 2016, 13:21

RogerS wrote:Mmmm..not too happy with the fixing points for the Honda . I remember reading some tales of woe when I was researching. Think I will stick to Plan A and let LOML meander her way up thus leaving me to get the house a bit straight for her.

ah, tales of woe .. I also have a "dolly" .. I was towing a T4 with a T4 and the wheel bolts sheered off the towing dolly :shock:
That was a bad day ..
I'd got all the way from bexhill to MK , so nearly home .. wheel off .. it passed me - comedy style ! lol .. lots of sparks ..
Recovery came, and I realized I'd left the keys for the towed T4 on the pavement when I loaded it on the dolly :evil:
Steering lock on .. took me ages to get it down the drive after being recovered !

Life is one big adventure ! :lol:
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat