It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 08:43

On-line financial statements

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

On-line financial statements

Postby RogerS » 15 Dec 2016, 12:58

Just a heads up really.

We're constantly being bombarded by financial institutions et al to go 'paperless'. Be aware that this will backfire on you when you need to prove 'who you are and where you live'. Proof of address HAS to be on the actual printout directly from the bank etc and within the last three months. A printout of your online statement is not sufficient. So if you have gone totally paperless then you are stuffed. Furthermore you'll probably find that utility bills are in the name of one or other of you if you are married and so a good plan is to share them around so that you both have access to at least one 'utility' bill with your name and address on.

The irony of this is that often it is the very same financial institutions who are asking for 'proof of address'! And should you have the temerity to go to your bank and ask them to sign a statement or some such to 'prove who you are' then be prepared for a fight.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Re: On-line financial statements

Postby 9fingers » 15 Dec 2016, 14:45

Good point to make folk aware of Roger. :eusa-clap:

Most of my accounts are paperless but our main bank account, in joint names, where my pension lands before being circulated around numerous other accounts still has a monthly statement for this very purpose.

It is highly ironic that the very institutions that encourage paperless statements are the ones that still use original printed statements for identification.

Most institutions do allow you to turn paper documents back on and it seems that banks still send an annual document showing interest (usually zero - ha ha!) and charges paid but I've not tried to use these for ID.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby HappyHacker » 15 Dec 2016, 23:35

My brother in law wanted a solicitor. He does not have a passport, has an old paper driving licence, does all his banking/bill paying online. He could not meet the solicitors requirements to prove who he was. It took weeks for him to get the solicitor to accept he was who he said he was. All he wanted was the solicitor to write a letter for him with regard to a problem neighbour.
HappyHacker
Sapling

Name: Kevin

Postby Phil » 16 Dec 2016, 09:33

We are about 90% paperless.

What I do is print the utility account in colour or the bank statement.

Not that easy to spot the difference.
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby chataigner » 21 Dec 2016, 17:59

I've had this problem in France, the classic proof of residence is an electricity bill and we dont get them anymore, only on-line access to statements etc. However, you can print a copy that looks pretty convincing with colour letterhead etc and so far it's been accepted.
Cheers !
Chataigner in Périgord-Limousin National park
http://www.rue-darnet.fr
chataigner
Old Oak

Name: David

Postby chataigner » 21 Dec 2016, 18:01

9fingers wrote:Good point to make folk aware of Roger. :eusa-clap:

Most of my accounts are paperless but our main bank account, in joint names, where my pension lands before being circulated around numerous other accounts still has a monthly statement for this very purpose.

It is highly ironic that the very institutions that encourage paperless statements are the ones that still use original printed statements for identification.

Most institutions do allow you to turn paper documents back on and it seems that banks still send an annual document showing interest (usually zero - ha ha!) and charges paid but I've not tried to use these for ID.

Bob

I've tried that here, but most institutions insist on something less than 3m old, so unless it coincides with the date of the annual statement you're stuffed.
Cheers !
Chataigner in Périgord-Limousin National park
http://www.rue-darnet.fr
chataigner
Old Oak

Name: David

Postby 9fingers » 21 Dec 2016, 18:10

chataigner wrote:
9fingers wrote:Good point to make folk aware of Roger. :eusa-clap:

Bob

I've tried that here, but most institutions insist on something less than 3m old, so unless it coincides with the date of the annual statement you're stuffed.

I think it is similar requirement here David but unless you need ID in a hurry, switching paper statements back on is only a mouse click away and up to 1 month to catch the statement cycle.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby kirkpoore1 » 25 Dec 2016, 18:15

Over here, driver's licenses are good for almost everything. Passports are good for anything that doesn't need an address. The problem comes when trying to get the first driver's license. Then you somehow have to prove your address--but since you're usually teenager, how will you have any bills, since you usually live at home with your parents who pay them? Same problem with bank accounts now, but if you can get the DL the bank will accept it.

My son, who is autistic and doesn't drive, needed to get a state government ID card with his address on it (equivalent to a DL). I think we finally used a letter from school that had his name and address on it to prove his address. He has a passport, but the address was tougher.

Kirk
kirkpoore1
Old Oak

Name: Kirk

Postby RogerS » 25 Dec 2016, 18:52

Interesting to see the differences between countries. In that vein and going slightly off-topic I was listening to the radio the other day when they were comparing and contrasting the Govt advice as to what to do if you find yourself caught up in a terrorist situation/siege/etc.

In the UK, the advice was hide and be quiet.

In the US, it was get up and at 'em.

I'm not sure which one I prefer but hopefully I and the rest of you won't be faced with having to choose.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat