It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 14:05

Best Place to Live?

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Best Place to Live?

Postby Rod » 17 Dec 2016, 18:06

BBCNews:

"Winchester is the best place to live in the UK in terms of quality of life, a study has found.
Scotland's Orkney Islands took second place, while Wychavon in Worcestershire came third in the Halifax study.
It looked at a range of factors including life expectancy, health and employment rates.
One key measure was Winchester's weekly earnings which, at £824, were found to be 27% higher than the UK average of £646."

Didn't mention very high house prices though!

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Re: Best Place to Live?

Postby Mike G » 17 Dec 2016, 19:50

The Orkneys came second! Really? That's some sort of joke. I've got a client building a house up there. His blockwork blew down 3 times in the course of construction. Three times!!! I had to design doors on 2 different facades so that they could get out of the other if the wind was blowing directly onto one of them.....and this despite being behind 6 foot high stone walls to provide some shelter for the doors! Nothing grows above knee height, and all the shrubs lean at 45 degrees. I'll bet it's lovely on the 3 days a year it isn't caught up in gales, snow, or endless driving rain.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Mike G » 17 Dec 2016, 19:51

Have you seen the woodwork in the spire of that cathedral, Rod? It's some of the best mediaeval woodwork anywhere in the world.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Rod » 17 Dec 2016, 21:20

Mike you are not getting Winchester mixed up with Salisbury ( which I've been up during restoration works) - Winchester hasn't got a spire but a tower?
Winchester has the longest nave and famous for being built on boggy land and supported on Elm logs though they had to be beefed up in the early 1900's with concrete and brickwork.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerS » 17 Dec 2016, 23:01

Wychavon :o Wychavon :o They are joking, surely.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Mike G » 18 Dec 2016, 08:32

Rod wrote:Mike you are not getting Winchester mixed up with Salisbury ( which I've been up during restoration works) - Winchester hasn't got a spire but a tower?........

Yes I was. Thanks. Anyway, have you seen inside the spire of Salisbury cathedral? ;)
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Rod » 18 Dec 2016, 09:49

Salisbury Cathedral - yes, I went on a technical visit a few years back, when they were doing renovation works.
There's a small exit door near the top where you can look out - quite scary!
Also walked over the ceiling voids - only a few inches of rendered stone work holding you up.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat