It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 16:42

Apple Time Machine ...rock on !

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Postby RogerS » 27 Dec 2016, 22:35

Unbeknownst to me until today I must have been fiddling around with things on 18 November. Can't recall exactly. Might have been trying El Crappo, dunno...but what I did know this afternoon as that my iPhoto library of 18 November had been rebuilt and lost all photos since 2010.

And because I wasn't aware of this, I happily carried out my normal backup routines. Which backed up the corrupted library.

Time Machine :idea: I also kept a TM copy and so went back in time to 11 November and Restored my 20GB iPhoto library (uncorrupted version).

All systems are go. Bloody brilliant bit of software !

Having said that I've just ordered a £20 external drive to do a complete copy... a snapshot of both mine and my wife's libraries.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Re: Apple Time Machine ...rock on !

Postby Malc2098 » 27 Dec 2016, 23:36

Phew!!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Robert » 28 Dec 2016, 11:12

For those of us using PC's I'd recommend Veeam Endpoint backup. It's free and backs up to a schedule to whatever you choose as a backup location. Each backup is a restore point and you can choose bare metal (ie restore from a PC where the hardware is dead) or single /multiple file for the date you want. After the first full backup subsequent ones are incremental.

https://www.veeam.com/endpoint-backup-free.html

I have it on my home server. The server backs up all our PCs - desktop and laptops and Veeam backs up the server to a plug in drive. All done automatically. Now and then I swap the 5Tb plug in drive and take the backup to my daughters place for safe keeping so if a burglar took every computer item in the house we'd still have all our videos and pictures etc.

Always good when having decent backup proves its worth.
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby RogerS » 28 Dec 2016, 11:32

Out of curiosity, how often do you do a complete restore from the backup, Robert ?
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Robert » 28 Dec 2016, 12:05

RogerS wrote:Out of curiosity, how often do you do a complete restore from the backup, Robert ?

I've done it a couple of times when upgrading hard drives in laptops. Take the old drive out, fit the new one, boot from media created by the backup program (usb stick or DVD usually) and restore the backup to the new drive. It is clever enough to backup network drivers etc required for recovery into the boot media so the whole thing is pretty simple.

I could have just cloned the drives but it gives an opportunity to reassure myself that recovery will work if ever needed.
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby RogerS » 28 Dec 2016, 13:16

On the face of it, you have things covered. My only reservation would be to ask what the timeframe was between doing these. Just because it worked, say, a year ago when you made a system change doesn't mean that it will work today. Case in point was my iPhoto library. I'd not used it since middle of November and so had no idea that it was corrupted (and therefore that also meant the daily backups).

Having said all that, it is a while since I did a boot-up from the backup :oops:
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 28 Dec 2016, 15:11

I almost totally agree with you Roger, apart from I have lost no small amount of faith in it recently...

I am still running OSX Lion because I've never felt the need for any of the new features and its bedrock stable. Over recent months obviously support for it is coming to an end and things are starting to become incompatible with Safari, notes won't sync, I can't manually backup my iPhone since iOS 10 etc.

I finally got annoyed enough to click the upgrade button to go to El Crapitan (obviously after confirming existence and stability of my most recent full time machine backup).

Upgrade process went fine and up pops El Crappo and all was well, until I tried to open email at which point the screens became covered in artefacts and over 30 seconds the machine completely locked up requiring a hard reboot.

Bit of tinkering and I decided just to restore it and do some googling before having another go.

All fine with the boot into restore mode and it restored fine (albeit taking around 18 hours!!!) but it was back to exactly where it was before I started, or was it...

The first time it tried an incremental backup (does one every hour) it complained it couldn't see the time capsule so long story short, though the backups and restore worked perfectly, post restore the Lion instance could no longer access the sparsebundle (the file that time machine creates to store all your backups in) and I had to manually delete all the files in a very time consuming process before formatting the TC drive and doing a full backup again. The whole time this was happening I was at risk of losing everything.

So while I still rely on it and think it's great, I now have serious reservations about its absolute infallibility so be warned...

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby RogerS » 28 Dec 2016, 17:03

Roger's Rule No.1 - Never, ever use Time Machine as a whole-machine backup/restore for all the reasons you have given !!
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat