It is currently 20 Sep 2017, 17:27

Vacuum lift

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Vacuum lift

Postby RogerS » 03 Jan 2017, 10:23

Saw this on a TV programme recently and thought the idea rather clever. Basically it creates a vacuum above the lift capsule and up you go !

Image
Fewer Smart things. More smart people.
User avatar
RogerS
Old Oak
 
Posts: 4033
Joined: 21 Jul 2014, 21:07
Location: The very wet and sodden North
Name:

Re: Vacuum lift

Postby Andyp » 03 Jan 2017, 10:50

certainly more fun than a stair lift.
cheers

Andy

if images are not visible on my posts it is because Photobucket withdrew their free hosting service. I will reload images to the most recent threads in due course. Please drop me a PM if you would like to see anything before then
User avatar
Andyp
Old Oak
 
Posts: 4186
Joined: 22 Jul 2014, 07:05
Location: 14860 Normandy, France
Name: Andy

Re: Vacuum lift

Postby Malc2098 » 03 Jan 2017, 10:57

My belly would slurp against the glass!! :D
Malcolm
User avatar
Malc2098
Old Oak
 
Posts: 1412
Joined: 03 Jul 2016, 11:10
Location: Tiverton
Name: Malcolm

Re: Vacuum lift

Postby RogerS » 03 Jan 2017, 11:07

Malc2098 wrote:My belly would slurp against the glass!! :D


Given the size of the occupants who went up in one, in the last episode of 'Escape to the Chateau', I don't think you need have any worries, Malc !
Fewer Smart things. More smart people.
User avatar
RogerS
Old Oak
 
Posts: 4033
Joined: 21 Jul 2014, 21:07
Location: The very wet and sodden North
Name:

Re: Vacuum lift

Postby Malc2098 » 03 Jan 2017, 11:17

RogerS wrote:
Malc2098 wrote:My belly would slurp against the glass!! :D


Given the size of the occupants who went up in one, in the last episode of 'Escape to the Chateau', I don't think you need have any worries, Malc !


Saw it! Love the show! He's good value for money!
Malcolm
User avatar
Malc2098
Old Oak
 
Posts: 1412
Joined: 03 Jul 2016, 11:10
Location: Tiverton
Name: Malcolm

Re: Vacuum lift

Postby RogerS » 03 Jan 2017, 11:26

Malc2098 wrote:
RogerS wrote:
Malc2098 wrote:My belly would slurp against the glass!! :D


Given the size of the occupants who went up in one, in the last episode of 'Escape to the Chateau', I don't think you need have any worries, Malc !


Saw it! Love the show! He's good value for money!


I agree but whenever I see him, I'm just itching to get out a pair of scissors and trim that moustache!
Fewer Smart things. More smart people.
User avatar
RogerS
Old Oak
 
Posts: 4033
Joined: 21 Jul 2014, 21:07
Location: The very wet and sodden North
Name:

Re: Vacuum lift

Postby Malc2098 » 03 Jan 2017, 11:29

That's part of his value!! :D
Malcolm
User avatar
Malc2098
Old Oak
 
Posts: 1412
Joined: 03 Jul 2016, 11:10
Location: Tiverton
Name: Malcolm

Re: Vacuum lift

Postby Mike G » 03 Jan 2017, 11:57

An answer in search of a problem. Hauling lifts up with a cable works beautifully well.
User avatar
Mike G
Old Oak
 
Posts: 3072
Joined: 30 Jul 2014, 22:36
Location: Somewhat less of a hovel
Name:

Re: Vacuum lift

Postby RogerS » 03 Jan 2017, 12:23

Mike G wrote:An answer in search of a problem. Hauling lifts up with a cable works beautifully well.


In a house ? This lift is perfect for a house. Minimum height needed at first floor level is 2.7m. You can't do that with cables.

And cost? No idea what the price would be for a cable lift but I'll wager it is significantly more than this elegant solution.
Fewer Smart things. More smart people.
User avatar
RogerS
Old Oak
 
Posts: 4033
Joined: 21 Jul 2014, 21:07
Location: The very wet and sodden North
Name:

Re: Vacuum lift

Postby Tusses » 03 Jan 2017, 12:27

RogerS wrote:
Mike G wrote:An answer in search of a problem. Hauling lifts up with a cable works beautifully well.


In a house ? This lift is perfect for a house. Minimum height needed at first floor level is 2.7m. You can't do that with cables.

And cost? No idea what the price would be for a cable lift but I'll wager it is significantly more than this elegant solution.



I would have thought a cable could go sideways, as well as up and down. just need a pulley wheel to change direction. then the motor could be anywhere ?

yes .. I think too much ! lol
Tusses
Old Oak
 
Posts: 1200
Joined: 08 May 2016, 10:48
Location: in the middle of the middle
Name:

Re: Vacuum lift

Postby RogerS » 03 Jan 2017, 12:28

Tusses wrote:
RogerS wrote:
Mike G wrote:An answer in search of a problem. Hauling lifts up with a cable works beautifully well.


In a house ? This lift is perfect for a house. Minimum height needed at first floor level is 2.7m. You can't do that with cables.

And cost? No idea what the price would be for a cable lift but I'll wager it is significantly more than this elegant solution.



I would have though a cable could go sideways, as well as up and down. just need a pulley wheel to change direction. then the motor could be anywhere ?


Space for the motor and the cables? Sledgehammer approach.
Fewer Smart things. More smart people.
User avatar
RogerS
Old Oak
 
Posts: 4033
Joined: 21 Jul 2014, 21:07
Location: The very wet and sodden North
Name:

Re: Vacuum lift

Postby Mike G » 03 Jan 2017, 13:01

RogerS wrote:
Mike G wrote:An answer in search of a problem. Hauling lifts up with a cable works beautifully well.


In a house ? This lift is perfect for a house. Minimum height needed at first floor level is 2.7m. You can't do that with cables.

And cost? No idea what the price would be for a cable lift but I'll wager it is significantly more than this elegant solution.


Nah.....I used to design them into buildings all the time. A lot of disabled lifts are pushed up from below by hydraulics, rather than hauled up from above by cables. But again, simple, known technology which works beautifully, and cheaply. As for floor heights, well, I've designed and overseen disabled lifts which only went up a metre or so. I say again, a vacuum system is utterly unnecessary. It may look neat, with the lack of any visible means of support for the "car", but it's pointless.
User avatar
Mike G
Old Oak
 
Posts: 3072
Joined: 30 Jul 2014, 22:36
Location: Somewhat less of a hovel
Name:

Re: Vacuum lift

Postby RogerS » 03 Jan 2017, 14:04

Mike G wrote:
RogerS wrote:
Mike G wrote:An answer in search of a problem. Hauling lifts up with a cable works beautifully well.


In a house ? This lift is perfect for a house. Minimum height needed at first floor level is 2.7m. You can't do that with cables.

And cost? No idea what the price would be for a cable lift but I'll wager it is significantly more than this elegant solution.


Nah.....I used to design them into buildings all the time. A lot of disabled lifts are pushed up from below by hydraulics, rather than hauled up from above by cables. But again, simple, known technology which works beautifully, and cheaply. As for floor heights, well, I've designed and overseen disabled lifts which only went up a metre or so. I say again, a vacuum system is utterly unnecessary. It may look neat, with the lack of any visible means of support for the "car", but it's pointless.


Hydraulics....Surely they will need space below the ground floor...sounds like a lot of excavation into foundations and a lot of unnecessary work.

The point regarding the floor height I didn't explain very well. I meant the height between floor and ceiling at the first floor level. All that the vacuum lift needs is 2.7m. Your cables are going to have to go into the loft together with that motor.

And cost-wise ?

How much would a hydraulic lift (including installation and excavation) cost for a normal two-storey house?

Or a cable -lift (including installation). I'd be very curious to know.
Fewer Smart things. More smart people.
User avatar
RogerS
Old Oak
 
Posts: 4033
Joined: 21 Jul 2014, 21:07
Location: The very wet and sodden North
Name:

Re: Vacuum lift

Postby Tusses » 03 Jan 2017, 14:20

" I know nothing "

as Manwel would say ! lol

but I am a thinker !
but I'd imagine a counter weighted lift, wouldn't take much moving , however it's powered ?
Tusses
Old Oak
 
Posts: 1200
Joined: 08 May 2016, 10:48
Location: in the middle of the middle
Name:

Re: Vacuum lift

Postby 9fingers » 03 Jan 2017, 14:32

Tusses wrote:" I know nothing "

as Manwel would say ! lol

but I am a thinker !
but I'd imagine a counter weighted lift, wouldn't take much moving , however it's powered ?


How would you counter weight a lift that has to ascend both empty as well as fully loaded? :eusa-think:

Bob
Image
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_GZrX ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
User avatar
9fingers
Old Oak
 
Posts: 3738
Joined: 21 Jul 2014, 20:22
Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Re: Vacuum lift

Postby Tusses » 03 Jan 2017, 14:39

9fingers wrote:
Tusses wrote:" I know nothing "

as Manwel would say ! lol

but I am a thinker !
but I'd imagine a counter weighted lift, wouldn't take much moving , however it's powered ?


How would you counter weight a lift that has to ascend both empty as well as fully loaded? :eusa-think:

Bob


You could at least counter weight the empty lift weight. Even a little more, so you are lifting the weights when it's empty, or a person or 2 when it's occupied.

I'd go for the lift weight, plus half the intended payload as a starting point for calculations ?
Tusses
Old Oak
 
Posts: 1200
Joined: 08 May 2016, 10:48
Location: in the middle of the middle
Name:

Re: Vacuum lift

Postby Doug » 03 Jan 2017, 14:39

Wasn't the point of this lift that there was minimal installation as it only took a day to install?

Also it easily fit in an existing building so taking up minimal space?

Usually it's installation costs that are the dear part of this kind of project so a pre made easily installled unit should offer good savings.

I didn't see the whole programme but saw a little about the lift as the good lady wife watching it, is he married to a designer?
Doug
Nordic Pine
 
Posts: 543
Joined: 21 Jul 2014, 22:22
Location: Location Location
Name:

Re: Vacuum lift

Postby RogerM » 03 Jan 2017, 17:11

Tusses wrote:
9fingers wrote:
Tusses wrote:" I know nothing "

as Manwel would say ! lol

but I am a thinker !
but I'd imagine a counter weighted lift, wouldn't take much moving , however it's powered ?


How would you counter weight a lift that has to ascend both empty as well as fully loaded? :eusa-think:

Bob


You could at least counter weight the empty lift weight. Even a little more, so you are lifting the weights when it's empty, or a person or 2 when it's occupied.

I'd go for the lift weight, plus half the intended payload as a starting point for calculations ?



I was now heavier than the barrel ........ :lol: :lol: :lol:
RogerM
New Shoots
 
Posts: 189
Joined: 21 Jul 2014, 21:47
Location: South Devon
Name:

Re: Vacuum lift

Postby Malc2098 » 03 Jan 2017, 17:13

Roger,
Love it!!!!!!
:eusa-clap:
Malcolm
User avatar
Malc2098
Old Oak
 
Posts: 1412
Joined: 03 Jul 2016, 11:10
Location: Tiverton
Name: Malcolm

Re: Vacuum lift

Postby Mike G » 03 Jan 2017, 18:21

RogerM wrote:.......I was now heavier than the barrel ........ :lol: :lol: :lol:


Halfway down.......... :lol:
User avatar
Mike G
Old Oak
 
Posts: 3072
Joined: 30 Jul 2014, 22:36
Location: Somewhat less of a hovel
Name:

Re: Vacuum lift

Postby Tusses » 03 Jan 2017, 18:23

:lol:

:text-bravo:

:text-lol:
Tusses
Old Oak
 
Posts: 1200
Joined: 08 May 2016, 10:48
Location: in the middle of the middle
Name:


Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests