It is currently 16 Jan 2017, 13:53

Vacuuming a hole in the road

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Vacuuming a hole in the road

Postby Robert » 11 Jan 2017, 10:30

We having our gas mains replaced.

Interesting hole making technique - they break up the dirt then vacuum it out of the hole. Covering my car with dirt in the process though they have at least put a dust sheet over it to catch the worst.

The guy with the thin pipe has a compressed air lance that blows dirt towards the suction pipe... and over my car.

They started a week ago. this is only the 3rd day we have seen anyone working.
Robert
Nordic Pine

Name: Robert

Re: Vacuuming a hole in the road

Postby Tusses » 11 Jan 2017, 11:23

that sounds like a pain

you would think they could put one of them workman tents up around it or something ?
Tusses
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Robert » 11 Jan 2017, 12:08

They expose a length of the main pipe then drill holes into it for a camera inspection so I guess escaping gas and inside tents is not an option :)

There is some kind of clamp on gland to reseal after drilling.

Our supply will be interrupted at some point but no idea when yet.
Robert
Nordic Pine

Postby Tusses » 11 Jan 2017, 12:42

Robert wrote:They expose a length of the main pipe then drill holes into it for a camera inspection so I guess escaping gas and inside tents is not an option :)

very true !

Robert wrote:Our supply will be interrupted at some point but no idea when yet.

When they did our street , maybe 20 yrs ago, they did it live, and used expanding foam to seal the joins
Tusses
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Rod » 12 Jan 2017, 01:17

Are they replacing or repairing the existing mains? They don't normally drill holes in new installations to check them out but use a pressure test. The pipes are generally joined by a special clamped on "heater" which fuses the plastic.
They should also diamond saw the edges of the surfacing to get a clean cut line.
I've never seen them use pressure hoses and suction pipes like this before - they should certainly protect surrounding areas and not blast out dust etc. Is the local highway authority keeping an eye on them? It should all be carried out under PUSWA.
Sadly the utilities never reinstate the roads properly and ruin its integrity for ever!

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Robert » 12 Jan 2017, 11:25

Replacing.

They want access to the house to replace the pipe to our gas meter too but no idea when.

There are big reels of 3 inch ish yellow pipe laying around in various places. They have been camera surveying the existing mains I'd guess to check the liner pipe will pass ok.

They set up the camera and screen right outside and I had a front row seat. I'd say the pipe was 1/3rd full of debris. sometimes the screen went black as they ploughed the dust with the camera.

Thames water have been around at the same time fitting water meters in the pavement. They cut the hole edges with the pneumatic drill. When the last guys came along to resurface at the end they diamond cut the edges clean before asphalting.
Robert
Nordic Pine

Postby RogerS » 12 Jan 2017, 14:26

Fascinating photos, Robert. I know that if it was y car parked there I'd be going over the bodywork and windows with a fine toothcomb.
Fewer Smart things. More smart people.
RogerS
Old Oak

Name:

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat