It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 16:30

If it seems too good to be true...

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

If it seems too good to be true...

Postby Robert » 13 Jan 2017, 13:38

It probably is with Amazon sellers.

So I'm thinking of buying an expensive lens for my second camera - one I bought for travelling because it is lighter than my DSLR kit.

Today one appears 'used as new' from a seller on Amazon uk and is cheaper than used on ebay. With Amazons A-Z guarantee in mind I snap it up before it sells to someone else.

Having paid through Amazon payments I notice a comment on the item details asking to contact the seller direct at a gmail address. Something against Amazons T&Cs so the alarm bells ring.
I phoned the seller and they told me their account was hacked. All the feedback that reassured me was genuine but the items for sale are not. I then phoned Amazon and they are investigating and will process a refund within 14 days.

The scam works if you follow the note to email direct. they offer you an even better price for bank transfer or moneygram payment and you get nothing.

Amazon told be it probably will not take 2 weeks for refund as it was straightforward.

Normally I wouldn't have fallen for it and I certainly wouldn't have paid outside Amazon.

Still debating with myself if I want to spend £1349 on the lens. You can get a grey import for £940 so the £805 used wasn't that unbelievable.

The scam items are still for sale on Amazon and the hacked seller had informed them as well.
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Re: If it seems too good to be true...

Postby chataigner » 13 Jan 2017, 13:54

Going mirrorless Robert ? Several of my friends have opted for Fuji and are getting very good results.
Cheers !
Chataigner in Périgord-Limousin National park
http://www.rue-darnet.fr
chataigner
Old Oak

Name: David

Postby Robert » 13 Jan 2017, 14:15

I thought about the Fuji X-T2 but there aren't that many lenses for it and all are premium price. I did consider it as a replacement for the Canon kit but without experience of it, too big a jump.

In the end I bought a Panasonic G80 as a second camera. Considerably cheaper but quite capable and has a few neat built in tricks like focus stacking and high res stills from video etc... and it records very impressive 4k video. Normal raw photos are good but I can see the difference to the 5D2 quality but at normal viewing sizes does it matter?

Time will tell if the DSLR stays in the bag. If it does then maybe a swap to Fuji in the future. I've used SLR and now DSLR for so long it is hard to imagine not having it.
Robert
Old Oak

Postby Tusses » 13 Jan 2017, 15:13

I have the 5d2 .. and the EOS3 for film. So I can use EF or M42 adaptors on both.

Why didn't you go for a second canon and have 1 set of lenses ?
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Robert » 13 Jan 2017, 15:35

With DSLR size kit most of the weight is in the lenses so a Canon compact system camera wouldn't solve the problem as I'd be tempted to take a lens I like. Plus most Canon CSC cameras have pretty poor reviews.

Just the Canon 75-300 DO lens weighs more than the whole bag with the Panasonic+ 12-120 kit lens inside (24-60 in standard lens terms). It is liberating not having a bag of potatoes hanging off your shoulder all the time :)

All the fake listings have gone now on Amazon so It is being sorted.
Robert
Old Oak

Postby Rod » 13 Jan 2017, 16:00

My Canon D70 stays at home when on holiday because I went even smaller and much lighter and take a Panasonic LUMIX TZ 40 instead. The newer ones are even better as they have a viewfinder. Fits nicely in a pocket.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Tusses » 13 Jan 2017, 16:05

Before going full frame (and I admit they are heavy ! lol) , I had the 650 .. efs .. with the 18-55 and 55-250 .. would fit in a tiny cam bag and wasn't heavy. Covered just about any shot you wanted to take.

and would take the ef lenses if you wanted at any time.

The EF nifty fifty 1.8 is super lightweight !

but , you are right in saying the more compact camera is nothing like a DSLR, and as the tech improves, the pic quality is getting better and cheaper

But I like using cameras (I must have at least 100 of them) as much as taking photo's .. so I guess I have a different take on it ....

carry on .. I'll watch :-)
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Tusses » 13 Jan 2017, 16:08

OT:
poundland has film in ... err .. for a pound !
and you can develop it with coffee !
Then scan the neg ... you can have fun with lots of old cameras if, like me, that floats your boat :-)
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat