It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:56

It's barely freezing! How bad can that be?

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

It's barely freezing! How bad can that be?

Postby kirkpoore1 » 14 Jan 2017, 17:09

A few pictures from a land where it can get cold, but not cold enough....

And I know some of you like your Weber grills:

As ice storms go, this wasn't too bad. The streets have been mostly ice free, even without salt. I had to chip a good eighth of an inch off my windshield when I left work yesterday. The ice on the branches got as thick as 3/16" (4-5 mm?), mostly on the top. The pictures would have been much better if the sun had come out, but the ice would have melted faster too. Right now it's 33 F, and it's melting slowly.

Kirk
kirkpoore1
Old Oak

Name: Kirk

Re: It's barely freezing! How bad can that be?

Postby chataigner » 14 Jan 2017, 17:36

We're expecting snow and -5°C in a couple of days, that will be the first snow of the winter here.
Cheers !
Chataigner in Périgord-Limousin National park
http://www.rue-darnet.fr
chataigner
Old Oak

Name: David

Postby Malc2098 » 14 Jan 2017, 17:40

And I just got a 3 day window above 4 degrees for bricklaying - in Devon!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Andyp » 14 Jan 2017, 22:05

chataigner wrote:We're expecting snow and -5°C in a couple of days, that will be the first snow of the winter here.

:mrgreen:
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby kirkpoore1 » 14 Jan 2017, 23:37

The temp's been 1-4 F above freezing all day, which has been enough to make all the ice melt. Now it's just cold and muddy.:)

Kirk
kirkpoore1
Old Oak

Postby Phil » 15 Jan 2017, 06:15

Sitting here in my study at 24c with just a pair of shorts on, it's hard to imagine that type of cold.

Even in the middle of winter we rarely go below 5c, but it is a very dry cold.
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby Rod » 15 Jan 2017, 13:22

It was -1C last week when I set off in the car but -5C when I got to another village a couple of miles away.
We are on top of a hill (edge of the South Downs) but the other village is at river level and probably in a frost pocket? I was quite surprised at the difference.
Lowest I've recorded here, a few years ago was -11C. It lifted all my paving slabs but they all went back down ok when it thawed

A few years back I spent a couple of weeks in California in late February - the locals thought it very cold but we thought the opposite. At weekends when the restaurants were very busy we got tables outside and were served straight away.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 15 Jan 2017, 21:14

One of my current projects is a weather compensating heating controller. Having fixed a few issues with my MK1 prototype hardware and software, I finally switched on MK11 this morning but the blooming weather is so mild here (14-15C) the controller (quite correctly) is backing the system to nearly off and so I can't characterise how well it is working.!
:evil:
Roll on some colder weather for a few days.....

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby RogerS » 15 Jan 2017, 22:18

9fingers wrote:One of my current projects is a weather compensating heating controller. .....
Bob

Yes!! I designed the outline spec and software for one back in the early Z80 days. Worked quite well.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby kirkpoore1 » 15 Jan 2017, 23:09

9fingers wrote:One of my current projects is a weather compensating heating controller. Having fixed a few issues with my MK1 prototype hardware and software, I finally switched on MK11 this morning but the blooming weather is so mild here (14-15C) the controller (quite correctly) is backing the system to nearly off and so I can't characterise how well it is working.!

Bob

Bob, pardon my questioning of your technical solution, but isn't that called a "thermostat"?

:)

Kirk
kirkpoore1
Old Oak

Postby 9fingers » 15 Jan 2017, 23:19

kirkpoore1 wrote:
9fingers wrote:One of my current projects is a weather compensating heating controller. Having fixed a few issues with my MK1 prototype hardware and software, I finally switched on MK11 this morning but the blooming weather is so mild here (14-15C) the controller (quite correctly) is backing the system to nearly off and so I can't characterise how well it is working.!

Bob

Bob, pardon my questioning of your technical solution, but isn't that called a "thermostat"?

:)

Kirk

No, the controller modulates the output power of the boiler. To maximise efficiency of the condenser, the water temperature needs to be as low as possible consistent with the output power being high enough to satisfy the demand of the radiators, each one of which is thermostatically controlled.
The controller is monitoring external conditions to predict the heat losses of the building and hence the necessary boiler power.
Eventually I shall also be monitoring flue temperature as an input to the process to try and maximise condensation. Possibly over the top but what the hell.....

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Andyp » 16 Jan 2017, 07:28

How will the controller cope with cold but sunny days?

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby 9fingers » 16 Jan 2017, 08:45

The air temperature is the dominating factor affecting heat loss and is measured where the sun cannot get to.
Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby 9fingers » 16 Jan 2017, 11:36

Andy,
On reflection I'm not sure what you were getting at and consequently if I answered your point?

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby RogerS » 16 Jan 2017, 11:37

An interesting approach, Bob.

When I did mine, the only control I had was on/off and so the model learnt over time that if the outside temperature was x degrees and I wanted the inside to be y degrees at such and such a time then it would turn on the boiler 'just in time'.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 16 Jan 2017, 11:45

RogerS wrote:An interesting approach, Bob.

When I did mine, the only control I had was on/off and so the model learnt over time that if the outside temperature was x degrees and I wanted the inside to be y degrees at such and such a time then it would turn on the boiler 'just in time'.

My previous boiler was a simple on/off type and I always intended to make some sort of predictive controller for it but never got round to it once I thought about what we really needed from it.

We made a good saving by realising that when we came in from work, the house only needed to be slightly warmer than we were for us to feel reasonably comfortable and there was no need to fire up the system much before we got in to achieve that. Also with no thermostatic rad valves, simply opening the living room door a bit before going to bed, warmed upstairs enough and we never used the upstairs radiators.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Tusses » 16 Jan 2017, 17:27

9fingers wrote:The air temperature is the dominating factor affecting heat loss and is measured where the sun cannot get to.
Bob

Our 200 yr old house is cold in the summer ! .. which is good in the summer :-)

My workshop , with loads of south facing windows, is toasty in the coldest days of winter, if it's sunny !

Iv'e considered cladding the south wall (house) with twin/tripple wall poly carb with a few inches air gap, so it can catch the sun in the winter. Hole in house top and bottom .. hole in poly top and bottom .. an a simple bi/strip green house opener for the summer heat, to vent outside .

at least for us, the sun makes a huge difference , regardless of outside air temp.
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Andyp » 16 Jan 2017, 18:23

9fingers wrote:Andy,
On reflection I'm not sure what you were getting at and consequently if I answered your point?

Bob

Bob, thank you but as usual I am not sure if I put my point across correctly. Using my house as an example I do not put the heating on ie light the fire, until I get a feel for how much sunshine there will be. Even when there is frost on the ground all day and the external temp is hovering around freezing if the sun is out then most of the house will be acceptably warm until dusk. Solar gain.
But perhaps you do not get as much benefit from winter daytime sunshine.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby 9fingers » 16 Jan 2017, 21:49

Our house rarely benefits from solar gain in the heating season.
The density of housing means that our chalet bungalow is overshadowed by a full height house just 3m to the south of our dining room window. Our main living room is west facing so any afternoon sun is too low by the time it is coming from the west. If we do get sun, one of the best heating strategies is to run the aircon in reverse from the free solar electricity* which warms the lounge.
*The panels are on the workshop roof at the bottom of the garden and have a much greater view of the sun all year round.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby kirkpoore1 » 16 Jan 2017, 22:08

Ah. I didn't think about the issue of radiators and boilers and the lag time associated wirh them. I've only lived in houses with forced air natural gas furnaces. (In the current house I also have a wood burning stove to supplement the furnace.)

Kirk
kirkpoore1
Old Oak

Postby fiveeyes » 16 Jan 2017, 22:27

Stranger here...not much forum time for me lately...sitting here in SUNNY SoCal, it is 65 at the mo' not leaving this for that,Kirk...I live in Michigan, as you may know...I do hope you will be safe, that stuff is nasty...bill....... :D
fiveeyes
Sapling

Name:

Postby Andyp » 17 Jan 2017, 08:37

9fingers wrote:Our house rarely benefits from solar gain in the heating season.
The density of housing means that our chalet bungalow is overshadowed by a full height house just 3m to the south of our dining room window. Our main living room is west facing so any afternoon sun is too low by the time it is coming from the west. If we do get sun, one of the best heating strategies is to run the aircon in reverse from the free solar electricity* which warms the lounge.
*The panels are on the workshop roof at the bottom of the garden and have a much greater view of the sun all year round.

Bob

Ah, I see. I do realise how lucky we are to have not only a south facing aspect but also no buildings or tall trees to shield the low winter sun.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby chataigner » 19 Jan 2017, 09:47

-10°C here this morning - ouch !!
Cheers !
Chataigner in Périgord-Limousin National park
http://www.rue-darnet.fr
chataigner
Old Oak

Name: David

Postby Andyp » 19 Jan 2017, 11:05

The benefits of solar gain.
I noted down some readings yesterday. Frost stayed on grass, where the sun didn't shine, all day so presume external temp around freezing.

Placed last log in stove at around 9.30pm
7am stove warm to touch but fire gone out. Temp in room 20°C
9am Stove cold. Temp in room 18.4°C
Opened shutters (external) 9.30
11am Temp in room 18.6°C warm enough for me when running around doing chores etc.
Midday 19.5°C
2pm 21.5°C
3pm 22°C which was when I lit the fire as I had to go out for a couple of hours and if I hadn't the room would have been cold when I got back.

Today very much the same so far.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby 9fingers » 19 Jan 2017, 12:50

I have no measurements to back it up but the frost stayed on non sunlit parts of the grass all day and there was no feeling of solar gain through the windows however the solar water heating was running well yesterday and the boiler only had to make about a 10 minute contribution to top up the tank at 5pm.

The 30 vacuum collector tubes are at the highest position possible on our roof and are not over-shadowed to the south by the house next door at all.
A nice self satisfied feeling of "something for nothing" here - well ignoring the capital cost which in turn is offset by the English RHI payments (not as silly a scheme as the one that brought down the NI government last week) but pays about £60 per qtr. for 7 years.

So far the weather is very similar today - ground frozen but sunny and air temp about 3.5C

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat