It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 11:29

Safe Cleaners - Taps

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Safe Cleaners - Taps

Postby Rod » 26 Jan 2017, 14:11

Having damaged our ensuite basin, (German metal attacking Swiss porcelain) which now needs replacing, I've been looking at a new mono-bloc mixer tap too.
All the ones I've looked at say clean only with a soft cloth and soapy water- do not use abrasives or other cleaners!
We live in a very hard water area and have used stuff like Viakal and Cif in the past but I have noticed bits of chrome coming off a 10yr old very expensive British made tap we have!
Anybody know of any "safe" limescale cleaners?

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Re: Safe Cleaners - Taps

Postby 9fingers » 26 Jan 2017, 14:20

I don't think they exist Rod.
Chrome is attacked by most acids and CIF type cleaners contain abrasives.

Gold is of course quite resistant to acid attack :lol:

I hate bathing in softened water but a water softener is one solution in our area.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Andyp » 26 Jan 2017, 14:25

I've been using nothing else but vinegar for quite a few years. Clear is stronger than brown. On the new monobloc taps we have in one bathroom and kitchen I have not noticed any deterioration of the chrome. On the older taps in the other bathroom I will tell you that when the previous owners paid us a visit a few months ago, Madame thought that we had replaced the taps because they looked very new.

I'd also recomend a water softener with the usual caveat of making sure you have unsoftened water to drink.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Andyp » 26 Jan 2017, 14:27

Further to Bob's post I would suggest that it is the abrasive in CIF that is shifting the chrome. I do not think a quick wipe with a vinegar soaked rag is going to lift the chrome. Hasn't here so far.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Malc2098 » 26 Jan 2017, 15:56

When I lived in the Chilterns, a very hard water area, I invested in a water softener. Saved loads in cleaning solutions.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Rod » 26 Jan 2017, 16:25

I have thought about a water softener but our mains input comes into our downstairs loo (cloakroom) which is situated at the front of the house and wouldn't take anything else space wise. Fitting it elsewhere would involve major works - the kitchen is at the back.
It goes from the loo up to a tank in the loft which is not the easiest place to get to.

Viakal is a clear liquid so probably abrasive free but vinegar is cheaper - pity it smells like vinegar

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Robert » 26 Jan 2017, 16:57

We only use lemons or limes to clean limescale off our taps. no damage.

When a lemon or lime gets forgotten and shrivels up a bit it often ends up cut in half and jammed on to a tap spout. next day more or less all the limescale is gone. Some needs the lemon rubbing in again.

You can buy food grade citric acid in 500g bags from Amazon for about £5. must work better but I've not tried it yet.
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby Andyp » 26 Jan 2017, 17:16

Over here we can get vinegar based cleaners that are scented to get rid of the smell. Might be worth having a look for them.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Tusses » 26 Jan 2017, 17:38

Safe Cleaners ? .. my 1st thought was bonnie and clyde ! :lol:
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Woodster » 26 Jan 2017, 19:06

I hate to say it but Cillit Bang limescale & shine does a great job of cleaning chrome taps. ;)
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Robert » 26 Jan 2017, 23:18

Woodster wrote:I hate to say it but Cillit Bang limescale & shine does a great job of cleaning chrome taps. ;)

So does Viakal but after time it removes or at least tarnishes the chrome too. How long have you been using it?
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby Woodbloke » 26 Jan 2017, 23:24

Get a Kinetico Water Softener. We're on our second one now and have had lovely soft water since 1991. I've never had to clean taps, shower heads, chip limestone off toilets, descale any of our upteen kettles or bother about the scum on top of my tea, mainly 'cos it's not there.
What is this limescale of which you blather :lol: - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Woodster » 27 Jan 2017, 09:08

Robert wrote:
Woodster wrote:I hate to say it but Cillit Bang limescale & shine does a great job of cleaning chrome taps. ;)

So does Viakal but after time it removes or at least tarnishes the chrome too. How long have you been using it?

A couple of years, it's not used every week though.
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby greeno » 27 Jan 2017, 11:07

We have the same problem.

For the sink tap my wife and I now just use our forearms to turn it off so no dribbles to leave deposits.

In the shower we squeegee of the glass and wipe the taps with a micro fiber.

Might sound like a PITA but it takes no time. I find myself turning taps off at work with my forearm which folks must think a bit peculiar.
greeno
New Shoots

Name:

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat