It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 21:24

problems resulting from organising photos on hosting sites

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

problems resulting from organising photos on hosting sites

Postby 9fingers » 26 Jan 2017, 12:50

I must admit that this problem is one of the most frustrating exhibited by Fotophucket.

You only tend to do it once through bitter experience. If is vital to set up the file structure first that will house forum photos or if you don't. then just put up it. Any attempt to perform retrospective tidying up will end in tears.

Do other photo host sites do this?

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Re: Hully's Workshop Build - Framing Done!!

Postby Rod » 26 Jan 2017, 13:47

I use Imageshack but transfer them to my phone or use photos from my phone. Tapatalk posts them direct from my cameras "library".

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 26 Jan 2017, 14:22

Rod wrote:I use Imageshack but transfer them to my phone or use photos from my phone. Tapatalk posts them direct from my cameras "library".

Rod

Yes but what happens if you re-organise your library. This is the nub of the Photobucket problem.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Andyp » 26 Jan 2017, 14:34

I'd be happy to be proved wrong but I suspect the library name in any photo sharing site would be included in the url. Hence changing the library is going to alter the url and break any links.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Rod » 26 Jan 2017, 16:33

I'm always deleting photos from my phones "library" - camera roll but they still appear on here.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 26 Jan 2017, 16:51

Rod you are posting direct to Tapatalk from your phone which means Tapatalk hosts and catalogues your photo's. If you use Photobucket or ANY OTHER photo website then the URL is specific to that photo location in your photo website account. If you move that photo by doing as Hully has, into a more ordered folder structure, then the URL changes, hence the 'lost' photo's.

Sadly you have only a few options:

1. Create your folder structure from the start and link to the pictures once in their final location.
2. Rearrange all your existing photos into a new structure, then revisit every single post you've ever added a photo to and update the URL's.
3. Leave all your existing photo's where they are and never move them. Create a new structure and add only NEW photos to it.
4. Move your photo's and accept you will have messed up all your historical posts.
5. Don't try and be tidy, just leave your photo's in one large folder.

The reason deleting them from your phone doesn't impact them is as per my first sentence. I also suspect that you suggested that while you use Imageshack that you move the photo's to your phone prior to posting them, which takes me back to sentence one.

I think your circumstance is very different to Hully's, unless I have misunderstood.

Cheers
Mark

PS - Once Hully has resolved his missing photo's whichever way suits him then I suggest we cut these derailed posts out and move them into a separate thread.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Re: problems resulting from organising photos on hosting sit

Postby the bear » 26 Jan 2017, 18:56

Over on UKW, I can upload photos straight from my phone, no hosting sites, no tapatalk. How does that work?
I have to confess the reason I have never posted a photo here is due to the fact I can't be bothered with hosting sites anymore. I stopped doing it on UK workshop until I realized I could do it straight from my phone.

Mark
the bear
Sapling

Name:

Postby Andyp » 26 Jan 2017, 19:28

UKW have room on their servers to effectively do the photo hosting. We do not have the resources at the moment to do the same here.
Have you tried using Tapatalk as Rod does.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Andyp » 26 Jan 2017, 19:38

Am I right in thinking that you have to be a signed in member in order to see the UKW hosted images?

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby 9fingers » 26 Jan 2017, 20:06

Andyp wrote:Am I right in thinking that you have to be a signed in member in order to see the UKW hosted images?

Yes that is my understanding Andy

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Robert » 26 Jan 2017, 23:15

I have a UK domain with web space. All I do is upload pictures to that web space resized to suit the forum then link to those uploads here. Uploading is just drag and drop in windows explorer onto a shortcut (windows explorer has FTP built in). I have a bookmark saved in firefox with the web address then just edit the file name to the new upload name.

The domain is mainly for email but has 15Gb of web space as well and I only use a tiny amount. Around £20 a year with one.com
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby chataigner » 27 Jan 2017, 00:09

Robert wrote:I have a UK domain with web space. All I do is upload pictures to that web space resized to suit the forum then link to those uploads here. Uploading is just drag and drop in windows explorer onto a shortcut (windows explorer has FTP built in). I have a bookmark saved in firefox with the web address then just edit the file name to the new upload name.

The domain is mainly for email but has 15Gb of web space as well and I only use a tiny amount. Around £20 a year with one.com

I use a similar system, a hosting deal with 1&1 which allows me to host several domain names with web sites for clubs I belong to as well as my own web site. Photos go there.

An exception to the catalogue re-arranging problem is Flickr. There a photo has a unique reference and can be assigned to one or more albums at any time without changing it's URL.
Cheers !
Chataigner in Périgord-Limousin National park
http://www.rue-darnet.fr
chataigner
Old Oak

Name: David

Postby Mike G » 27 Jan 2017, 10:52

Experiment time. This is hosted by Imgur, and isn't in an album:

Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Mike G » 27 Jan 2017, 10:58

OK, I then moved the image into an album, and it is still showing here. So I can report that Imgur allows re-organising of images without altering the URL.

Bar a period of about a fortnight when Imgur updated all their software and caused immense problems I have been very happy with them as a host, and have over 3500 photos with them now.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 27 Jan 2017, 11:02

Thanks Mike, that's really good to know. I might have a play with that as PB is a royal PITA in terms of uploading so will see if Imgur works any better for me.

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Andyp » 27 Jan 2017, 12:32

Can you see how to share a whole album in imgur? ie obtain a url for an album.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Andyp » 27 Jan 2017, 12:59

Andyp wrote:Can you see how to share a whole album in imgur? ie obtain a url for an album.

sussed it.
log in, select user name top left. select albums, select required album, url in browser address bar.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Jimmy Mack » 29 Jan 2017, 13:24

It is free, but I have found Photobucket to be frustratingly 'laggy', (pop-ups, ads, auto-play videos). I use it when I'm on the iMac as I prefer typing on the iMac. However uploading photo's via TAPATALK is a sinch, especially as I've usually taken the photo with the phone in the first instance... but typing on the phone can be a pain... which is why I've combined the two in the past.

Is there a TAPATALK app for the Mac? I've had a little Google but not found anything.

Jim
Jimmy Mack
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Andyp » 29 Jan 2017, 13:28

Jimmy dunno about tapatalk on the Mac but my addblocker* does a great job of removing the ads.

*ad blocker plus

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Doug » 29 Jan 2017, 13:54

Photobucket is a pain but I've found it one of the easiest to use re post the pics on forums.
I've come unstuck with it before trying to rearrange albums & ive never worked out how to find an old photo :oops:
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Phil » 29 Jan 2017, 14:35

Doug wrote:Photobucket is a pain but I've found it one of the easiest to use re post the pics on forums.
I've come unstuck with it before trying to rearrange albums & ive never worked out how to find an old photo :oops:

Agree.
Have had a few issues with uploads but otherwise happy.

Doug, I had same issue finding an 'old' pic that I uploaded recently (it was one taken some years ago) until I found they were stored in date sequence, so instead of being on page 1it appeared on page 30.
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby Doug » 29 Jan 2017, 16:36

Cheers Phil, my problem was more finding old photos, I've around 1000 photos on PB & finding ones in the mid to high hundreds can be very time consuming.

Anyway on Mike recommendation I've just download the Imgur app & tried it out in my Tormek post & it seems easy to use so I'll trial that for a while.
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Phil » 29 Jan 2017, 16:56

Doug wrote:Cheers Phil, my problem was more finding old photos, I've around 1000 photos on PB & finding ones in the mid to high hundreds can be very time consuming

Ah, ok.

What I do is view as many as possible and then search on date +- more-or-less.
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat