It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 15:12

Browser - Avira

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Browser - Avira

Postby Phil » 31 Jan 2017, 06:55

I have only used FF over the years and avoided IE, Chrome etc.

My AVP is Avira (free version) after Avast totally peed me off.

Avira have now launched their own browser based on a Chrome platform, stating better security.

http://www.avira.com/en/avira-scout-cam ... ervices=17

I am reluctant to move, just overly cautious maybe.

Anyone here maybe had a look at it or used it?
Anyone use Chrome? What is that like in terms of security and functionality?

Thanks. :?
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Re: Browser - Avira

Postby justaskin » 31 Jan 2017, 07:37

Hi Phil

Cant comment on the PC, the Mac version has never let me down. YET??
You think its difficult try herding cats
justaskin
New Shoots

Name: Richard

Postby Mike G » 31 Jan 2017, 11:27

I used to use Opera, but that started to misbehave. Firefox got out of synch with Yahoo, my email provider at the time, so I had to abandon that too. Nobody, surely, uses IE. So, I ended up with Chrome, although I hate the Google company with a passion (I use DuckDuckGo as a search engine.......try it). Chrome works fine, but next time I have to do anything major with the computer I'll swap back to Opera or give Avira a try.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Rod » 31 Jan 2017, 16:33

I use Firefox and MS's own Windows Defender

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby chataigner » 31 Jan 2017, 17:13

Firefox and AVG on win 7 - no problems except FF occasionally hangs due to scripts in ads. Not often enough to be a real problem.
Cheers !
Chataigner in Périgord-Limousin National park
http://www.rue-darnet.fr
chataigner
Old Oak

Name: David

Postby Phil » 01 Feb 2017, 06:51

Thanks guys for the comments.

At this stage will stick with FF.

chataigner wrote:Firefox and AVG on win 7 - no problems except FF occasionally hangs due to scripts in ads. Not often enough to be a real problem.

It is just annoying when it hangs, I have on occasion had to "kill" it and re-boot.
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby Woodbloke » 01 Feb 2017, 19:34

Chrome on the iMac, much faster than Safari - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby RogerS » 01 Feb 2017, 20:17

But a real memory hog.

Sent from my PLK-L01 using Tapatalk
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Browser - Avira

Postby TrimTheKing » 02 Feb 2017, 01:32

Chrome kills my Mac inside a day if left running. It has monumental memory leak issues which a close and restart every half day resolves but it's very poor coding by Google to allow it to continue.

In terms of performance as a browser, when freshly opened it like it.

Cheers
Mark

EDIT : just to give numbers, I have 32GB RAM in my iMac and Chrome will consume 28 of that over the course of 24 hours if left open.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Woodbloke » 02 Feb 2017, 14:45

TrimTheKing wrote:Chrome kills my Mac inside a day if left running. It has monumental memory leak issues which a close and restart every half day resolves but it's very poor coding by Google to allow it to continue.

In terms of performance as a browser, when freshly opened it like it.

Cheers
Mark

EDIT : just to give numbers, I have 32GB RAM in my iMac and Chrome will consume 28 of that over the course of 24 hours if left open.

So I've quit Chrome and gone back to Safari, but not being a 'pooter nerd, what difference am I going to see?- Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 02 Feb 2017, 15:02

There's nothing wrong with Chrome Rob, other than on my machine it shows to be badly written and leak memory. I leave my machine running 100% of the time, if you shut down in between uses then you're unlikely to see this behaviour.

Which OS are you using now on your iMac? I am still on Lion which while old and needing an upgrade, gives me a lot of tools for monitoring memory use etc. I was talking to one of the Genii in the apple store a few weeks ago and he said the newer OS's (El Capitan and Sierra) are taking this away as they don't want users poking around in there. El Cap still has some memory/resource visibility tools but Sierra removes these completely, which I feel is a particularly poor way to go…

To answer your question, I wouldn't expect you to see any change in terms of Chrome/Safari in day to day use, but by the same token I'm not advocating you need to stop using Chrome, it's fine.

Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Woodster » 02 Feb 2017, 15:58

I've been using Safari ever since it came out and have never had any issues with it. I do have a copy of Firefox somewhere but only tried it a little and couldn't see any advantage. Sadly there are some "tools" missing in later versions of OSX like being able to securely erase free space etc. I think it can still be done but only on command line level which I don't normally mess with.

Our iMac is nearly 7 years old now and is slow at times so we're looking to get a new one when the new models come out later this year hopefully.
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 02 Feb 2017, 16:40

TrimTheKing wrote:There's nothing wrong with Chrome Rob, other than on my machine it shows to be badly written and leak memory. I leave my machine running 100% of the time, if you shut down in between uses then you're unlikely to see this behaviour.

Which OS are you using now on your iMac? I am still on Lion which while old and needing an upgrade, gives me a lot of tools for monitoring memory use etc. I was talking to one of the Genii in the apple store a few weeks ago and he said the newer OS's (El Capitan and Sierra) are taking this away as they don't want users poking around in there. El Cap still has some memory/resource visibility tools but Sierra removes these completely, which I feel is a particularly poor way to go…

To answer your question, I wouldn't expect you to see any change in terms of Chrome/Safari in day to day use, but by the same token I'm not advocating you need to stop using Chrome, it's fine.

Mark

Thanks for that Mark. I'm using OS X Yosemite which seems to work fine with Chrome but I don't leave my iMac on all the time. It's on all during the day (natch) but it gets switched off at night so I guess it's running for half the time that yours is.
I've found that my Ax account is geared up for Chrome with a two tier security regime. I have to plug a little widget into a usb port to enable my Ax Google account, which works with Chrome but not on Safari and for that I've got a series of pass codes to enter. Every time I clean up the iMac (delete cookies, trash, downloads etc) I have to reuse the widget - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat