It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 20:51

Baseball, worth watching a match?

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Baseball, worth watching a match?

Postby Andyp » 11 Feb 2017, 11:47

Has anyone ever been? For sports keen people who know nothing about the game is it easy to get wrapped up in the atmosphere of a match? and understand what is going on? Where is best place to sit? Behind the batsman? Or up the side of the field?
We will be staying close to Reading in PA, local team the Reading Fightin Phils. I can' work out quite how good they are but like most sports if there is competition rather than a whitewash I hope it will be worth it.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Re: Baseball, worth watching a match?

Postby Phil » 11 Feb 2017, 12:20

Eldest son when doing some work near Dalles (Fort Worth) was taken to a baseball game, Texas Rangers.

He said the vibe, spirit etc was unbelievable and then they sang The Yellow Rose of Texas as well. 8-)

Enjoy it Andy. :D
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby chataigner » 11 Feb 2017, 12:38

Never been to baseball match so I cant help, but if you get the chance go to a basketball match.

The game is fast and moves from one end of the court to the other every few moments, so all places get a fair view. I would avoid the middle as you get a stiff neck from turning your head back and forth, just like sitting by the net in tennis. I prefer about half way up the banking, at the side but not far from one of the baskets.

The atmosphere and hype is incredible, so is the noise !

CSP Limoges are the national champions and we go quite often, I've become a real fan.
Cheers !
Chataigner in Périgord-Limousin National park
http://www.rue-darnet.fr
chataigner
Old Oak

Name: David

Postby Mike G » 11 Feb 2017, 12:40

Just remember to keep calling it rounders, rather loudly. :lol:
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Phil » 11 Feb 2017, 13:06

Mike G wrote:Just remember to keep calling it rounders, rather loudly. :lol:

That has just cancelled your 10 year visa! :lol:
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby Woodster » 11 Feb 2017, 13:08

We went to see a game when we were in Toronto many years ago. We didn't have a clue what was going on. :D Having said that we did miss the beginning, not sure if that would have made a difference...
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby woodstalker » 11 Feb 2017, 16:30

Been to watch the St Louis Cardinals back at the end of the 90's which was fun but more recently watched the Kansas City Royals last summer.

Great atmosphere, food and drink and lovely stadium.

The big screen showed all the players and coaches as a feature during the breaks in play. No one was more surprised than me when Rusty popped up as the first base coach:

http://m.royals.mlb.com/roster/coach/117366/rusty-kuntz

Had a great time and actually was able to follow the game, definitely worth going.

I really want to go to an American Football game but have never been over in America during the season.
woodstalker
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby the bear » 11 Feb 2017, 17:00

If you a a general keen sports fan I would say yes.

I went to the states last summer and went to 2 games (never been before). I would suggest you have a read up on the general rules first, then I guarantee when you get there the person next to you will be a yank who will be very happy to chat to you and explain the stuff you don't understand, especially if you shout them a beer.

Second game I went to was Boston Red Sox at Fenway Park. Lovely old stadium and old skool feel but still like going to premier league football with similar prices. Sat behind the striker.

First game I went to was to watch Chatham Anglers in the Cape Cod Summer College League. This was completely free, there were probably 2000 people there. Just wander in and sit on the grass bank in the outfield. The whole town turns out with their cool boxes and is very social. You can buy raffle tickets and people shake a bucket towards the costs. This is actually a very good standard of baseball and the teams are made up by many kids on college baseball scholarships and are the major league stars of the coming years. A very different experience to the red Sox but just as enjoyable.

So doesn't matter what level you're watching really, if you like sport and want to enjoy it, you will

Mark
the bear
Sapling

Name:

Postby Andyp » 12 Feb 2017, 09:49

That's it then. It's in the schedule.

I had considered basketball David but the noise in an indoor arena would be too much for one of my daughters.
American football was my preferred choice but there are no games going on in the vicinity while we are there.
The local team is in the "Minor League" but still manage an average attendance of 6000 in a 9000 seat stadium so I hope the atmosphere will be good.

Are there continuous breaks in the game like there are in American Football?

I will read up a little before we go but something that I have just noticed is that they appear to be playing the same team over 4 consecutive days which looking at their calendar seems quite normal.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby TrimTheKing » 12 Feb 2017, 16:30

Andyp wrote:…they appear to be playing the same team over 4 consecutive days which looking at their calendar seems quite normal.

Yep they do that in a lot of US sports. I think it's because some of the distances they have to travel to games it makes financial and logistical sense to play their fixtures over a weekend or a few days so they are not travelling potentially thousands of miles two, three or four times through the season.

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Wizard9999 » 16 Feb 2017, 00:15

Bit late to the party and I think your decision made, but I have been to quite a few major league games over the years and really enjoyed them. One of my favourite US memories is watching a double header at Yankee Stadium about 30 years ago. Pretty easy to understand and tickets much easier to get hold of than American Football. I still have a baseball I caught at a game. Well I say caught, in fact everyone failed to catch it and I was the quickest down to the floor to secure it, but a trophy is a trophy :lol: .

Terry.

P.S. Don't forget the seventh innings stretch. Think it all started with a President getting cramp at a game many, many years ago.
Wizard9999
Old Oak

Name: Lord Radford

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat