It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:57

The builder's are coming - floorboard laying

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Re: The builder's are coming - update

Postby RogerS » 20 Jul 2017, 16:26

Robert wrote:.......
........ and it is hard to understand why it is so short that it catches on the weight.

Because the person that made them was a numpty.

The guys from the joiner company came today to fit some brushes to take up the gap in the top sash. Only to have to go away again as their idea wouldn't work. Back again soon with Plan B.

On the plus side, they came up with a rather clever way of removing the wagtails.

And on the negative side, I now have to tell LOML that the bathroom suite that she painstakingly chose and that I ordered and paid for back in April....website 'two-three days delivery'...after the order placed, told 8-10 weeks delivery....then after that ...get told another 8-10 weeks. Then get told, 'It's on the boat...arriving July 19th'....told this morning..."delivery next week" and this afternoon "it has been discontinued". Lying thieving bastards.

QS Supplies..a company to be avoided. And don't get suckered in by their sister company akva.co.uk.

On the bright side, it is only 34 minutes to opening time.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Rod » 20 Jul 2017, 18:59

Just read your review on Trustpilot

I must have been very lucky as the Laufen basin came very quickly and at a good price.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerS » 22 Jul 2017, 16:35

So....

53 sheets of foil-backed plasterboard;
100 sheets normal plasterboard ;
19 sheets of 27mm insulated plasterboard ;
14 bags of bonding
36 bags of Multi-finish (although the plasterers swear blind that I have miscounted)

we are actually doing some painting :o

I am struggling to comprehend that number of boards TBH. One part of me says that half of the boards have gone on someone else's project ! But when you consider that one ceiling in one room took ten boards perhaps not surprising...
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 22 Jul 2017, 16:41

Wow! Result, Roger.

To other readers, I can confirm the likelihood of the the number of boards being accurate. Roger was kind enough to break away from his busy schedule to give me a guided tour last week, while I was visiting Northumberland.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby RogerS » 23 Jul 2017, 10:05

Malc2098 wrote:Wow! Result, Roger.

But at what cost, Malcolm?

The climate is vile. It never ever dries out. My wife's plants are rotting and she is bereft. Years of hard work, careful selection of rare and never to be found again plants...gone. Fungal infection is the order of the day. We found the peonies being eaten. Nothing eats peonies. Nothing. Well, that is until we arrived at this God-forsaken part of the planet. Caterpillars drop out of the trees. We now realise why the vegetable beds had been abandoned.

And if the bloody midges don't get you then the bloody flies do. We used to like being outside. Not any more.

It is, without doubt, the worst decision we have ever made.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Rod » 23 Jul 2017, 10:11

Oh dear Roger- what's the plan?
Do it up asap and move?
I watched a programme about Herefordshire yesterday and thought of you - seems a nice area and cheap by UK standards.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerS » 23 Jul 2017, 10:36

Rod wrote:.....
Do it up asap and move?
Rod

Possibly. Trouble is it will take a long time to get it into a position to recoup the money we have poured into it. Especially the outside grounds.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 23 Jul 2017, 11:19

Roger, I'm not very eloquent at this sort of stuff. I can really feel your pain in your posts.

Some decades ago I made a poor decision when moving which resulted in two things; costing/losing me a load of money ( for then about 1.5 years salary in a year) and affecting my then wife's health. There is no contest. Hers and your health comes first.

I decided to move again within a year, which is how I lost that amount, and I carried on working for another 25 years to get to where I am now. But, we pulled back from the brink of her having a breakdown.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby RogerS » 23 Jul 2017, 15:16

RogerS wrote:.....
we are actually doing some painting :o

Forgot to add that on the plus side we are using some superb paint from Little Green as opposed to the coloured water from Farrow & Ball. :D
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Phil » 25 Jul 2017, 08:22

Just to make you feel a bit better .............

The millimetres of rainfall that the Indian village of Mawsynram receives. This makes it the wettest place in the world.

Phil
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby RogerS » 25 Jul 2017, 17:23

OK...back to work. The gable end over the garage needs a little attention to parts of the mortar while the scaffolding is still up. I had a good old poke around. Most of the lime mortar is pretty sound and solid, a few holes need back-pointing.

But, if ever I had any doubts about why pointing with cement on an old stone building is NOT a good idea then they have been well and truly laid to rest. There has been some patch pointing here and there using cement. I decided to hack a bit out to see what was going on underneath and I'm glad I did. The lime mortar was as soft as anything and very, very damp. Needs scraping out and repointing.

So I hacked out a few more pieces of cement and, without exception, the lime mortar needs replacing. A bit to much for me to do what with everything else and so I'm going to ask my stonemason if he has a couple of days spare.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Re: The builder's are coming - Galetting

Postby RogerS » 21 Aug 2017, 16:54

OK...not had time to post much recently so here goes a little taster.

Galletting. Poking about in the gable and removing cement pointing reveals some holes that are too deep for back pointing. So how do we fix this ? What's the traditional approach ? Any one who says foam goes to the back of the class.

The technique is called galletting where you embed small stones (ideally of similar material to the stone in the wall) using hairy lime mortar. If you lay on lime mortar too thickly then it will crack. The stones in the galletting help prevent that happening (according to my stonemason).

First up is preparation of the orifice. The aim is to clean it out especially any loose bits ...which can be washed out with the hose.

Those areas that can be back-pointed need their sides cleaning up square. What you don't want to see in the hole are tapered slopes of old mortar as the new stuff will start to break away as it has no strength at the thinner parts of the taper. Bit tricky to see in the photos as they are two-dimensional.

From this

to this

When all your preparation is done, wash the wall down with the hose pipe and leave it to dry a little while you mix up mix up the 3:1 hairy lime mortar.

I use 1.5 units of this sand

1.5 units of this coarser stuff

and 1 unit of NHL 5 lime (I use 5 to give a stronger mix than using NHL 3.5). I hand mix it dry in a wheel barrow (wearing thick rubber gloves) and then start to mix it in a bucket with one of those larger paint stirrer thingies that you stick in a drill. When it's thoroughly mixed, I add the 'hairy' part...either goat or horse hair.

It comes in a bag like this

and you have to painstakingly tease it out by hand gradually adding it to the mix. Ideally not on a windy day!

The best way to mix it in is to use a trowel and chop it in because if you try the paint stirrer it acts like a carding machine and wraps the hairy bits round itself pulling them out of the mixture...a rather pointless exercise. My stonemason uses scissors but I think that defeats the object. You need long fibres...not wee ones.

Leave to one side to ferkle away to itself.

Get the tools of the trade ready. Apply some HLM and stick in the stones. That's all there is to it.

If you're back-pointing then make sue you leave a depth of about 30mm for the top pointing coat. No hard and fast rules.

Once the back-pointing has gone off...an hour or so but, again, not critical..apply the final top coat of pointing

But we're not yet done as it's wrong to leave a smooth finish and so we wait an hour or so until it's started to go off and then get out the 'special' brush :eusa-shhh:

and you use it to stipple (quite hard) the top surface until you've bashed the HLM in a bit more, as a by-product cleaned off any whiskery flakey bits round the edges and exposed the rougher stone in the mix.

and you can just make out some of the hair.

I find it quite meditative to do. Some areas are trickier than others and some like this one lend themselves to a very simply job using a wide palette knife

A few odd pictures

Bit of back-pointing

So, to recap, looking at the end to end process for one area.....

We started with this cement blocking up everything

and started to break it away with the hammer drill (if it was a Listed Building than the chances are the Conservation Officer would have insisted it was all done by hand !)

to reveal what was possibly old galletting (but the surrounding lime mortar has not survived the cement treatment)

to reveal great lumps of brick

and finally a great hole

Once cleaned out, we do a bit of galletting

But it's a deep hole so we're in no rush and can let the first layer go off overnight. Then finish of the galletting/back-pointing

Leave this to go off and add the top coat of pointing

Let it harden for a couple of hours and apply the 'magic' brush....ta da !!

RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Mike G » 21 Aug 2017, 17:10

Great post!

That looks like a "where do I stop?" type of job.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Andyp » 21 Aug 2017, 17:16

You've got some patience Roger.

When I read the title I thought that you were making the builders some pancakes. :)
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Malc2098 » 21 Aug 2017, 18:10

Fascinating, Roger.

I saw an Open University programme about this during a night shift meal break a few decades ago!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby Rod » 21 Aug 2017, 20:02

I thought it was about making crepes

Interesting post

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Pinch » 21 Aug 2017, 20:23

Yep, interesting post Roger. 8-)

Cor, imagine doing that for a living. I think it would send me further round the bend. :|

Great patience ole chap.

:text-bravo:
In my previous life, I was a tree.
Pinch
Old Oak

Name: Paul

Postby MJ80 » 21 Aug 2017, 20:54

I need to start doing the same round the cowsheds plinth
MJ80
Sapling

Name:

Postby RogerS » 22 Aug 2017, 14:35

Mike G wrote:Great post!

That looks like a "where do I stop?" type of job.
You've hit the nail on the head there Mike. If I had the time I would have done it all.

Sent from my PLK-L01 using Tapatalk
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Doug » 22 Aug 2017, 17:46

They are doing a similar thing on Lindisfarne castle at the mo Rog, went there last week, be glad it's not a castle you've got to do :shock: :D
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerS » 01 Sep 2017, 13:11

Last week the granite worktops were due to arrive.

The terms were 50% before the guy came to do the templating and 50% before the men arrived with the worktops.They didn't take credit cards. Neither did they take debit cards. BACS transfer only. Naturally I wasn't too happy with this and after I explained my concerns that for all I knew they were going into liquidation and so I'd lose my money, they agreed cheque when the guys came.

Monday morning, the van arrived with the worktops. The builders helped carry them in...longest was 3.2m. After 30 minutes or so, the granite men called me.

"We have a slight problem" they said. The problem? One of the worktop pieces was about 6mm thicker than the others. :eusa-doh:

"We'll have to take this back" they said. And off they went.

So I took a peek at the rest to discover that the scribing at the rear was pretty dire.

Chips and a rough edge

Normally these wouldn't be a problem but, as we'd made it very clear to them, we did not want upstands, tiles or silicon.

One of the ends had a curve

The gap expands again (out of frame at the top of the photo).

Underneath the overhang the reinforcement/carrying protection mesh had not been removed and was really rough to the touch..especially along the chamfered edges at the front of the worktop.

Images and email duly sent and Monday afternoon, they came to take away the two remaining pieces leaving the island worktop behind. But before they did so, they were asking me what bits did I need them to remove at the rear to improve the scribe using a green highlighter. After about 10 very frustrating minutes I could see this going TU and in exasperation told them "I'm the customer. I've paid your company to do this job. Not me'. So they took them away.

'We'll work on it today and tomorrow and re-install on Wednesday".

A chase-up call to check progress on Tuesday resulted in "We've re-CNC'd the rear. The mesh is not something that we usually remove as it's a factory job". My response ? What template are they CNC'ing to as it seemed to me (and the fitters) that the actual scribing template was wrong and needed re-templating. Removing the mesh was a doddle as I'd anticipated their response and used my Mirka CEROS to remove the mesh in under 10 minutes from the sink cutout.

Reluctance to re-template but they offered as gesture of goodwill (!!)to remove the mesh..not only from the long run but also the island unit. Which was collected from the house on the Wednesday !

Monday the following week, it all came back. The scribe is tolerably better. The join is still curved. But at least the mesh has gone.

The guy also pointed out that the island unit swayed. At first I couldn't work out why since the design was identical to our last kitchen. But then I remembered that in that kitchen, the island unit sat on some very substantial aluminium framework but that this had disappeared from the kitchen suppliers catalogue. The fix will be to make some square boxes that will be tightly fitted underneath each unit between it and the floor.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 01 Sep 2017, 13:18

Bloody hell mate you're not having the best of times with this are you!

That scribing was shocking, but that join? Where in the run is the join? Surely they can't look at that and deem it acceptable...?

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby RogerS » 01 Sep 2017, 14:24

TrimTheKing wrote:.... Where in the run is the join? Surely they can't look at that and deem it acceptable...?

Cheers
Mark

In the middle. Highly visible. TBH by this time I'd lost the will to live. They said that they'd put a square on the ends. Your post prompted me to get out my steel edge. Lying *******. The ends of both pieces are slightly convex. They did SFA to either end.

You're right. I should have rejected it.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Rod » 01 Sep 2017, 17:24

Oh dear Roger your tale of woe continues.
When we had ours done, the firm laser surveyed it and cut it out by cnc - perfect job.
No sign of any mesh either.
What are you going to seal the joint against the walls with?

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerS » 01 Sep 2017, 18:15

Rod wrote:....
What are you going to seal the joint against the walls with?

Rod

We never do. Guess we're not that messy in the kitchen ! Not suggesting that you are, by any means. :D
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

PreviousNext

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat