It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 02:21

Cheap starters, disintegration

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Cheap starters, disintegration

Postby Andyp » 12 Mar 2017, 11:55

For fluorescent tubes.
These just disintegrated when I tried to get them out. Never seen them fall apart like this before.

They are the originals that came with the original fitting. I will try and find some branded replacements.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Re: Cheap starters, disintegration

Postby Robert » 12 Mar 2017, 12:03

UV light made the plastic brittle probably.

Fluorescent tubes use the same power all their life but give less and less light as they get older until it is less than 50% so if you are changing starters maybe invest in new lamps too.

Not tried them myself but you can get LED replacement tubes now. think they come with a starter replacement even though they can't need a starter.
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby HappyHacker » 12 Mar 2017, 12:55

Breaking starters when removing is not uncommon. About 10% of the ones I move break.

I usually replace the tube and starter at the same time as generally they both wear out at about the same time.

As suggested LED replacements are good and do not need a starter, the one supplied with them is a dummy in the ones I have fitted to prevent you from using a standard starter. Get a good make of LED tube as there is a lot of LED rubbish out there.
HappyHacker
Sapling

Name: Kevin

Postby Andyp » 12 Mar 2017, 13:00

Robert and Kevin,
thanks for the heads-up ref LED tubes. I will have a look although I guess there will be quite a price difference.
Out of interest what makes would you recommend?
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby 9fingers » 12 Mar 2017, 13:24

I'm not yet convinced that the running cost savings for led tubes will make it viable unless in a 24/7 application commercially.

I use starterless high frequency ballasts in the workshop which are coming up for 10 years old with no problem and indoors, I have several electronic starters which do not suffer from ultra violent destruction and are a plug in replacement for the glow starters (that emit UV)

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Phil » 12 Mar 2017, 16:44

Our old house I installed starterless high frequency ballast lights in the scullery and kitchen. No flickering, no noise and immediate light when switched on.

In the new house there were cheap rubbish fluorescent lights installed by the developer in the scullery and kitchen. Nothing unusual about that. :twisted:

The 1 in the scullery was replaced 3 times until they now finally installed a 600mm LED 20w light, it’s now daylight in the scullery.

We were impressed by the new light, so I bought a 1200mm 40w LED light which they fitted for me.

The one tube in the old light had already packed up.
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat