It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 15:13

Tiling substrate question

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Tiling substrate question

Postby RogerS » 16 Mar 2017, 15:48

In the kitchen, part of the floor are these t&g floorboards. We are tiling the kitchen floor. I was going to pull up these floorboards for possible salvage and re-use elsewhere. A lot of work as they are nailed in with 2" wire nails through the tongues !

But then I thought, why bother? Why not tile straight on top but on inspection I see that the joists are floating on a white polystyrene slab.

My concern is flexing of this substrate causing cracking at the joins between the tiles in the grout. It's very hard to feel if there is any flexion. The floorboards are 20mm thick.

I see three options :-

1) take up the floorboards as planned and replace with 18mm ply then tile

2) tile directly over the top of the floorboards

3) take up floorboards and joists and replace with ...what ? kingspan insulation ? but that will flex as well.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Re: Tiling substrate question

Postby Doug » 16 Mar 2017, 16:05

Are they joists under the floorboards Rog? the sub soil appears to be up the sides of the joists that'll want clearing out till there's 6"of clear space below the joist.

If they are joists I'd insulate between them with 4" ridged insulation that's what I did at home, I then PU glued & screwed 22mm flooring chipboard to the joists & after priming tiled straight onto that.

I did about 35squar metres of tiling like that at home & it still looks great, unfortunately I don't believe Bal make two part polymer based adhesive now so if I was doing it again I would probably line the chipboard before tiling there are a few products on the market for doing that
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerS » 16 Mar 2017, 16:15

Yes, those are the joists but it's not earth but a very dirty slab of polystyrene insulation sitting on top of a concrete base. The thickness of the polystyrene is about 20mm and the joists are 45mm Having gone and had another look I'm now not that convinced that those joists actually are compressing the polystyrene as I can't see any deformation. So I may be worrying unnecessarily in which case I'm tempted to go for option 1 and just tile over the floorboards.

Mind you they are going to need to come up in some areas to get the plumbing and electrics into the right areas.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby greeno » 16 Mar 2017, 18:36

Take them out.

18mm marine ply.

Flexible adhesive.

There's way too much scope for movement and different levels tiling onto for boards.
greeno
New Shoots

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 17 Mar 2017, 00:02

That poly board takes a hell of a jump on it just to make a dent in it with your heels, so with the weight being spread across numerous joists I reckon there's as close to zero movement in that as you will get…

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby HappyHacker » 17 Mar 2017, 00:36

I agree with greeno, there is too much scope for movement with the boards. replace with ply or put a layer of ply on top.
HappyHacker
Sapling

Name: Kevin

Postby Rod » 17 Mar 2017, 01:00

Not quite the same situation but our bathroom and en suite upstairs are on T&G floorboards, the tiler covered them in ply then tiled on top. No sign of movement in several years.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby MJ80 » 17 Mar 2017, 08:39

I stopped using ply and use tile backer board. I like the cement based on (nomoreply), you can fix it down with pu adhesive and screws over the substrate and can tank it as well. The other one is a cement faced foam sheet, they come in different thickneses and are also really good. They are screwed to the substrate with washers. Most of the tilers I know wouldn't use ply anymore and on the jobs I did and also subcontracted on we only ever used the backer boards.
MJ80
Sapling

Name:

Postby RogerS » 17 Mar 2017, 09:30

MJ80 wrote:I stopped using ply and use tile backer board. I like the cement based on (nomoreply), you can fix it down with pu adhesive and screws over the substrate and can tank it as well. The other one is a cement faced foam sheet, they come in different thickneses and are also really good. They are screwed to the substrate with washers. Most of the tilers I know wouldn't use ply anymore and on the jobs I did and also subcontracted on we only ever used the backer boards.

Not for floors, surely?
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby MJ80 » 17 Mar 2017, 22:02

They are laid over the existing flooring. I have fitted them over chipboard, victorian floorboards, they are great. Go ask in a tiling supply shop. It is standard way of doing it nowadays. Not had any callbacks and the tilers prefer it. It's what the fancy bathroom firm I worked with always used and what I always specified on my jobs as well.

I couldn't imagine your floor being any more bouncy than an upstairs bathroom.
MJ80
Sapling

Name:

Postby RogerS » 21 Mar 2017, 08:17

Decision made. The joists are coming up, removing the polystyrene, then relaying the joists. How do you ensure the joists are level given that the underlying concrete will be uneven? Plastic packer pieces ?

And how do you fix them down? Drilling concrete and plugging seems like a lot of hard work.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby MJ80 » 21 Mar 2017, 08:53

6 foot level
Top the joists so any hump in the timber is on the top edge and keep that for the top side
Get the first joist (1) in level then go over however many spaces you can span with your level put in another joist (2) and get that levelled off the first joist.
Put the missing joists inbetween and lay the level over the each end on the first two joists (1 & 2) and pack the others up to suit.
Then go from the second joist(2) and span over as far as you can with the level and put in another joist (3) that is levelled off (2), fill in the middle section as before
Use sliding wedges to pack them up. There are some really good plastic ones available, if you are using timber wedges put a bit of dpc under them.
Noggins between the joists
Chipboard flooring - glue on the joints
6mm backerboard
tiles
MJ80
Sapling

Name:

Postby RogerS » 21 Mar 2017, 09:01

Many thanks, MJ.
"Top the joist"

Not sure I understand that.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby MJ80 » 21 Mar 2017, 09:44

If you look down the length of the joist as it would be fitted, narrow section at the top and bottom. One side will more than likely have a bow. Put the bowed face to the top when you install them. Hence topping the joist (at least that is what it was called where I did my time). It acts like an arch.
MJ80
Sapling

Name:

Postby MJ80 » 21 Mar 2017, 09:46

Turn your level end for end on each section you put in to account for any discrepancy.
MJ80
Sapling

Name:

Postby RogerS » 21 Mar 2017, 09:51

Many thanks for the clarification,MJ
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat