It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 23:16

You cant beat Ethernet...

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

You cant beat Ethernet...

Postby RogerS » 08 Apr 2017, 11:08

...or How I learned to hate Wi-Fi.

Truly, Wi-Fi is the Spawn of Satan. If or when it works OK, then it's OK. But trying to fault find a dropping wifi connection is like trying to shove toothpaste back into the tube. At least with Ethernet you can swap cables and easily swap out other components, routers, switches etc but with wifi it's hopeless. Is it the router ? Is it the computer? Is it intermittent? Is it some knobhead messing about in adjacent houses with a jammer?

After wasting all night trying to migrate data from LOML's iMac to her new MacBook Air, I've given up. The connection drops intermittently but the Migration Assistant doesn't recover cleanly either. So the transfer is halted and you have to start all over again....."This will take 7 hrs and 4 minutes"

USB3 to Ethernet adapter now on order.

Decision made to flood wire the new house with Ethernet cables.

Sod Wi-Fi
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Re: You cant beat Ethernet...

Postby Jimmy Mack » 08 Apr 2017, 11:18

I'm an Ethernet convert, especially living in an old house with thick walls, direct feeds to wifi extenders, TV, workshop, CCTV, hardwired iMac. I've got through almost 300m and could do with a bit more

Are you familiar with 'Wi-Fi analyser' the free mobile app? I use it on Android, it's really handy, you can see local Wi-Fi and what channels they're broadcasting on (re conflicts), and see the weak spots in your own Network.

Jim

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk
Jimmy Mack
Old Oak

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 08 Apr 2017, 13:58

Cables will always beat WiFi, forever and without exception, you've made the right decision. WiFi should be a last resort option, it has its place and should stick to it.

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Deejay » 08 Apr 2017, 16:23

How good is your broadband connection Roger?

Cheers

Dave
Deejay
Sapling

Name: Dave

Postby RogerS » 08 Apr 2017, 17:08

Deejay wrote:How good is your broadband connection Roger?

Cheers

Dave

Pretty good....6Mbps download.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Woodster » 09 Apr 2017, 12:41

I needed to get a WiFi router 5 years ago when I got my first iPad. We've not had any issues at all although I have had to use extenders. We recently bought a Brother AirPrint enabled laser printer that challenged the little grey cells until I found AirPrint was turned off by default on the printer. A tick in the box and a restart sorted that though. I agree that cabled is best but it can be a bit messy unless you like cables trailed everywhere.
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Andyp » 09 Apr 2017, 13:03

RogerS wrote:

Cheers

Dave

:shock: How do you manage with that. Fibre not coming your way soon?
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby RogerS » 09 Apr 2017, 14:34

Andyp wrote:
RogerS wrote:

Cheers

Dave

More than fast enough for us ? Why on earth would you want it any faster? Most times. response is limited by the server you are trying to access.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Andyp » 09 Apr 2017, 15:10

yeah maybe it's because I have 4 of us trying to use it at the same time.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Jimmy Mack » 09 Apr 2017, 15:18

RogerS wrote:
Andyp wrote:
RogerS wrote:[quote="Deejay"]How good is your broadband connection Roger?

Cheers

Dave

More than fast enough for us ? Why on earth would you want it any faster? Most times. response is limited by the server you are trying to access.[/quote]
I suppose it depends on what you're​ doing with it and the number of users on your home network. We watch a lot of HD content, Spotify and online radio in the studio, YouTube, video chat family, our mobiles (tho using little) VoIP over it as local signal is terrible. My 40(ish) wife and NHS warrior, likes to unwind with a glass of vino and a good session blasting in first person online gaming... which considering her day job and gentle nature... I and friends find it hilarious.

In our village it's either standard at 5-6 Mbps or fibre at a whopping 50+Mbps

Having been with talk-talk (who have a terrible service) unlimited fibre has been a huge improvement, but it ain't cheap, BT installed the fibre service 2 years ago and still have the monopoly on the line along with the ridiculous 'line rental' tax.

The server speed seems consistent, I remember being with Virgin in the city and over the weekend and evenings, from the drop out, it was clearly over subscribed.

Jimmy Mack
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Robert » 09 Apr 2017, 23:03

Jimmy Mack wrote:My 40(ish) wife and NHS warrior, likes to unwind with a glass of vino and a good session blasting in first person online gaming... which considering her day job and gentle nature... I and friends find it hilarious.

She's not alone :)

Can't beat a bit of online first person shooter to balance the day out.... and I'm 62
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby Rod » 09 Apr 2017, 23:32

I've got 70 Download and 40 Upload - makes using the internet much more enjoyable. We used to have 2 if we were lucky and downloading upgrades used to take dozens of hours.
Now a few minutes.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Rod » 09 Apr 2017, 23:40

A fellow patient I met at hospital worked for a company who manages the wifi systems for the south of England's Dioceses.
Most of the Bishop's palaces are very ancient, built with solid thick walls and listed. They couldn't cable so had to install a very complicated and expensive wifi system.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 09 Apr 2017, 23:42

RogerS wrote:Why on earth would you want it any faster?

Because Frankly in 5 years time that speed will potentially mean even normal website browsing is back to usability levels of dial up!

It all depends how you use the internet, but as others have mentioned, I stream a lot of HD content, as do the kids, often simultaneously. HD streams can come in at around 2.5Mbps each. Couple that with large file downloads, Spotify music streaming (which is pretty much the sole music source in our house now) and general browsing and 15Mb download is the minimum you need.

Out upload is the limiter now coming in at just 1Mb. I would love to have equal up/down speeds meaning I could then use my home setup to stream content when abroad on holiday etc meaning I could watch anything we have saved wherever we are, which is a Godsend in an evening or in holiday 'downtime' without having to remember to copy stuff to portable HD's to take with us.

You're right, 5-6Mb down for general browsing is fine, but in our house web access is used for sooooo much more.

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby RogerS » 10 Apr 2017, 05:53

TrimTheKing wrote:.....when abroad on holiday etc meaning I could watch anything we have saved wherever we are, which is a Godsend in an evening or in holiday 'downtime' without having to remember to copy stuff to portable HD's to take with us.

You could always take book ;) :)
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Jimmy Mack » 10 Apr 2017, 07:36

Robert wrote:
Jimmy Mack wrote:My 40(ish) wife and NHS warrior, likes to unwind with a glass of vino and a good session blasting in first person online gaming... which considering her day job and gentle nature... I and friends find it hilarious.

She's not alone :)

Can't beat a bit of online first person shooter to balance the day out.... and I'm 62

Excellent Rob, perhaps I need to investigate this a bit more, tho last time it sent me a bit googley-eyed... It's very possible you've met/shot each other on the battlefield!

Jimmy Mack
Old Oak

Name:

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat