It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:58

Useless Shredder

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Useless Shredder

Postby Rod » 10 Apr 2017, 11:24

Not being allowed to wield heavy tools like a hedge trimmer I had a go at shrub which was taking over other plants with a pair of secateurs and finished up with a large pile of thin branches.
I've got an Alko shredder which I haven't used for a while and it takes branches up to about 40mm, so I had a go with that.
Absolutely useless and that's why I don't use it.
It would be fine if all the branches were straight but as soon as they become bent or twisted they won't be pushed through.
In the end I used the Council's green recycling bags, cutting the pieces to fit, a much quicker process.
Shredder going on Gumtree but looking at that it will be joining lots of others!!

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Re: Useless Shredder

Postby Mike G » 10 Apr 2017, 12:58

Funnily enough, I am on eBay twice a day looking for a petrol powered shredder. I want something fairly beefy, maybe 10HP plus, that can cope with wood up to 3" diameter. My silly little electric one is worse than useless, but I'll keep it because the one thing it is good at is pulping apples prior to pressing them for juice. The bigger petrol ones have self-feeders, which means they work.

The other thing your little electric one should do pretty well, Rod, is shred leaves. If you want to compost leaves, dumping them in the shredder gives you stuff which will break down readily, or can be used as mulch.

I'm looking at something like this. In a normal garden, something like this will do perfectly well.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Rod » 10 Apr 2017, 17:42

Most of my trees are evergreens so don't get too many leaves. What I get I collect with my lawn mower which chops them up.

Those shredders look the part.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 10 Apr 2017, 18:30

This is what I hired to clear my site. Did the job brilliantly. Up to 4"

Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby woodstalker » 13 Apr 2017, 21:32

I hired one for getting rid of a large amount in my garden when i removed an overgrown hedge (read trees) thinking it would be best but i found it was no good. It did not have a powerfeed to drag the branches in so as soon as a small offshoot branch became wedged i would have to shut down, fish it out, chop it with my loppers and start again. Took all day to do less than an eighth of the pile.

In the end i created my turbo incinerator and burned the lot, trunks and all.

So my two pence worth is get one with feed rollers. (or build a turbo incinerator of course!)
woodstalker
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 13 Apr 2017, 22:15

The one I hired above, has a large heavy circular blade that chops first before pulling though. I couldn't fault it for clearing my site.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby woodstalker » 14 Apr 2017, 07:21

That sounds like just the job
woodstalker
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Mike G » 17 Apr 2017, 08:34

Malc2098 wrote:The one I hired above, has a large heavy circular blade that chops first before pulling though. I couldn't fault it for clearing my site.

Are you saying that the blade acted as a self-feeder (ie pulls the wood into itself)?
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 17 Apr 2017, 09:31

Mike G wrote:
Malc2098 wrote:The one I hired above, has a large heavy circular blade that chops first before pulling though. I couldn't fault it for clearing my site.

Are you saying that the blade acted as a self-feeder (ie pulls the wood into itself)?

Sort of. The hopper was angled downwards, so gravity, and occasionally a little persuasion, forced the end of the stump onto the blade. Being the sort not to explore further than the blade that I could see, I don't know how its journey continued after that.

In fact, as I recall, it had two hoppers; one went down to the massive blade and the other took lighter stuff, so there must have been something pulling through, because the resulting chippings bounced of my tarp and over into next door's garden and onto the roof of their conservatory!
Last edited by Malc2098 on 17 Apr 2017, 17:25, edited 1 time in total.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby woodstalker » 17 Apr 2017, 14:29

it looks like a Camon C150 which i don't think has powered feed rollers like you get on the big industrial ones but is apparently designed to drag whatever it is chipping/shredding into the machine so if thats the case its a 100 time better than the one i hired which required feed assistance every two minutes and got quite tedious. The dual feed for shredding and chipping looks good.

They are about £3.5k new inc VAT. but cheaper for a used one on eBay...
woodstalker
Nordic Pine

Name:

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat