It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 20:56

Amex cautionary tale

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Amex cautionary tale

Postby RogerS » 17 Apr 2017, 08:04

So you have an Amex card that has been working fine. You try to make an online purchase but get a 'card declined' message. You ring Amex and they tell you that the vendor hasn't tried to take payment. So you ring the vendor (in this case, John Lewis) and place the order over the phone using the same card and this time it goes through.

A few days later, different website and again 'card declined'. This time it's the PayPal site and, when you call Amex they tell you that the reason is because PayPal have been using details of an old card. You call PayPal who tell you to call Amex who tell you to call PayPal....

You pop into the garage on the way home to fill up and pay with your Amex card. No problem.

The saga continues for a week or so. Nothing concrete...just annoying niggles sometimes ..but only sometimes..when using the card.

Finally you pop into your garage for fuel and this time the card is declined. Amex tell you that it is because you are using an old card. But the card in your hand is the latest one. Or is it? No, it isn't. Amex have decided for whatever reason to send you a new card. You haven't asked for one. The old one is nowhere near its expiry date. Amex haven't told you to look out for a new card.

To compound the error, remember that when you call into Amex, you have to enter the long card number. At no time in the preceding weeks calls to Amex does any system flag up that the card is invalid(sometimes). Neither does their systems flag up to their agent that the card is invalid (sometimes).

Hey ho. I await an abject suitably grovelling apology and a million Avios airmiles.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Re: Amex cautionary tale

Postby Phil » 17 Apr 2017, 08:28

RogerS wrote:
Hey ho. I await an abject suitably grovelling apology and a million Avios airmiles.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: You will wait a very long time.

Just get a plain old ordinary simple Mastercard.
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby RogerS » 17 Apr 2017, 08:52

Phil wrote:
RogerS wrote:

But then we wouldn't get all those free longhaul flights in comfy class !
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Phil » 17 Apr 2017, 10:35

RogerS wrote:
Phil wrote:
RogerS wrote:

True, BUT ...........

I have 285k BA miles built up over the years even after doing 2 overseas holidays and local trips. (two of us)

I want to fly us to Bangkok using airmiles, here is the BUT - we have to fly via the UK which turns it into about a 36 hour journey at a substantial cost not even accounting for the UK visas even if in transit.
Trying to find the "free-cheap" seat flights is also a huge mission for the 2 legs there and 2 legs back.

We can fly a one stopper, about 5 airlines - Ethiopian to Cathay Pascific, in about 20 hours for about ZAR3k more and don't need visas for the stop, and on the dates we want to travel.
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby RogerS » 17 Apr 2017, 10:49

Phil wrote:
RogerS wrote:
Phil wrote:

True, BUT ...........

I have 285k BA miles built up over the years even after doing 2 overseas holidays and local trips. (two of us)

You do know that you can donate those BA miles to other accounts? I'll PM you my details :lol:
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat