It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 10:57

One extractor .... omni-switch

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

One extractor .... omni-switch

Postby RogerS » 19 Apr 2017, 17:02

Whether or not I go the full MVHR route, it still makes sense to duct away the smells and condensation from all the rooms that create it and have a single extraction fan. But how to turn it on?

Simple one-room/one-fan situation you run a feed from the light switch to the fan. If I do that here and common all the feeds then when you turn a light on in one of the rooms, the others light as well. Obvious, innit?!

I could have the feed powering a relay per room and the contacts of all the relays are commoned together to turn on the extractor but there's the aggro of housing the relays etc.

So.....just on the offchance, wondered if anyone knew of a gizmo that would do it all for me?
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Re: One extractor .... omni-switch

Postby Mike G » 19 Apr 2017, 21:10

MVHR gets around this, of course, by running continuously, and thus can run at very low levels. Shorter running fans have to run much more powerfully (and noisily). Frankly, if you're going to be moving, save the MVHR for the next house.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Stargazer » 19 Apr 2017, 22:19

For the bathrooms could you install a humidistat in each in parallel so that any of them can switch on a single fan unit?
Stargazer
New Shoots

Name: Ian

Postby RogerS » 20 Apr 2017, 06:27

That's a good idea, Ian, but wouldn't work in the bog.

Mike's hit the nail on the head. I hadn't appreciated that these MVHR units were more a gentle waft then a gale thus can be left on all the time and so no need for complicated switching.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat