It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 16:08

Replacement windows, trickle vents and building regs

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Re: Replacement windows, trickle vents and building regs

Postby podengo » 28 Apr 2017, 19:43

I always think it some what ironic that trickle vents are considered by building regs to be 'energy neutral' -which to me seems a convenient method of building control avoiding the conflict between part F and part L.

In the same vein, lockable window handles, good for part Q. security, less good for part B fire safety.

Trickle vents have their use in theory, although Ive yet to come across anybody that uses them at all. Customers generally hate them, especially on traditional period windows.

My experience of building inspectors is that they will glance at trickle vents and check there is one one a window in each room, Ive never seen one check the number square mm's of ventilation is sufficent. I also know its not uncommon to screw on a trickle vent with no hole behind and remove after inspection.

The advise I have been given regarding changing existing windows, is that its best to take a photo as a record then that will suffice to prove the same level of trickle ventilation has been maintained. Similarly with fire egress. Fire egress is difficult, its very easy to alter the size or configuration of a window and make it non compliant. A good example is a sliding box sash window that has been changed for a plastic casement, often a bottom half fixed sash and the top half top hung, it makes the opening part above 1100mm above bedroom floor.
podengo
Seedling

Name:

Postby the bear » 28 Apr 2017, 20:50

Thanks for the replies folks, some thinking through to be done.

Mark
the bear
Sapling

Name:

Postby Mike G » 28 Apr 2017, 21:58

podengo wrote:.......My experience of building inspectors is that they will glance at trickle vents and check there is one one a window in each room, Ive never seen one check the number square mm's of ventilation .........

I have. More than once. I've even had to provide the calculations myself to show compliance.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby RogerM » 10 May 2017, 04:16

On the subject of trickle vents, our bco told us that so long as the window had a lockable night latch, that would satisfy the requirements. There is no requirement to fit a trickle vent - just to adequately ventilate.
RogerM
Nordic Pine

Name: Roger

Postby TrimTheKing » 11 May 2017, 10:51

RogerM wrote:On the subject of trickle vents, our bco told us that so long as the window had a lockable night latch, that would satisfy the requirements. There is no requirement to fit a trickle vent - just to adequately ventilate.

I've just had all our doors and windows replaced and reg's state that if they exist then the replacements MUST have them, regardless of whether they're deemed 'required' or not. Seems to be a lack of flexibility in the reg's but that's what they are. The installer won't be able to certificate them for warranty if they don't meet the same reg's as what they took out…

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby RogerM » 11 May 2017, 15:51

In which case it seems to be a postcode lottery! I'm just quoting what our BCO told me.
RogerM
Nordic Pine

Name: Roger

Postby 9fingers » 11 May 2017, 18:45

I wonder if this is due to new work and replacements being treated differently.

New work has to comply with the latest regs, repair/replacement/refurbishment does not have to comply with latest regs and so needs to meet the regs when originally installed.

I had a case like this years ago when a staircase in our house did not meet current regs and therefore I could put no more rooms at the top of it than were there before. In the words of the BCO I could not increase the use of the stairs without them having to be changed to meet new regs.
So I built two huge rooms in the new roof space and then once signed off, split them into 4 bedrooms and a bathroom.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Rod » 12 May 2017, 10:37

Out of curiosity Bob, won't that get picked up if ever you sell?

With regard to windows I'm pretty sure our house built in 1976 didn't have trickle vents but 10yrs later we replaced them with DG units that did.
We are thinking of replacing these again so will I now be "forced" to have them?

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerS » 12 May 2017, 10:54

Rod wrote:Out of curiosity Bob, won't that get picked up if ever you sell?

With regard to windows I'm pretty sure our house built in 1976 didn't have trickle vents but 10yrs later we replaced them with DG units that did.
We are thinking of replacing these again so will I now be "forced" to have them?

Rod

Rod, I'm guessing that you will be getting them from a FENSA registered company. So Building Control won't get involved (Unless you're doing other work, of course) as the FENSA company can sign them off. I'd be inclined to speak to the sales guy about it (and get it in writing that trickle vents won't be supplied).
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 12 May 2017, 11:42

That's what I tried to do Roger and they wouldn't have any of it.

Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby Woodster » 12 May 2017, 11:43

Once a window has been replaced who's going to know if the old one had a vent or not? One of our old windows with a vent was replaced with one without. The company provided all the relevant paperwork required when the job was finished so who cares? I don't, I didn't want a vent and I don't believe the company supply them (Aluminium Windows) with vents anyway.
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerS » 12 May 2017, 12:11

TrimTheKing wrote:That's what I tried to do Roger and they wouldn't have any of it.

Mark

Still think it's worth a go...depends on the guy/company, I guess. A smaller company probably more amenable.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 12 May 2017, 12:22

RogerS wrote:
TrimTheKing wrote:That's what I tried to do Roger and they wouldn't have any of it.

Mark

Still think it's worth a go...depends on the guy/company, I guess. A smaller company probably more amenable.

Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Previous

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat